It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was The War In Lebanon Won Or Lost?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This is a news report that consists of two narratives. One is Israel's the other Hezbollah. They are talking about who was the victor of the war as well as some other things, such as what was learned, mistakes that were made. It is interesting that neither is claiming a victory, but both are taking note of lessons learned.

Even more impressive are the strategic fruits of the war. Had Israel been offered the details of the cease-fire arrangement before the war, any government would have approved it willingly. The Lebanese Army will deploy along the border, a large multinational force of about 10,000 soldiers will back it up, Hezbollah will no longer be encamped along the border, and its members will not bear arms openly. Hezbollah's fortifications along the border have been destroyed; about half of its missiles, especially the long-range ones, have been destroyed; support for the organization has diminished; and it is perceived as having brought destruction upon Lebanon. It is for good reason that Nasrallah is now compelled to justify himself.

The claim that Iran initiated the crisis with the aim of diverting world public opinion away from its nuclear program has also been proved baseless. Iran's support for Hezbollah only increases the West's hostility toward it. It is difficult to believe that Tehran gave Hezbollah such massive aid, worth several billions of dollars, only for the purpose of spending it on the abduction of Israeli soldiers. It is more reasonable to assume that Hezbollah was prepared as a reserve, intended to be brought into the fray if Iran itself were attacked.

For the complete story click hear

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Lebanon is without a doubt the biggest loser in all of this.

Hezbollah I believe has come out as the victor. While the Americans have come out on the losing side. I firmly believe in war we are all losers, but I guess we have different degrees of failure.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I really think it's too early to tell. Both sides took losses and both sides scored points.

If the virtual apology of Hezbollah for starting it by capturing the Israeli soldiers leads to Hezbollah disarming and becoming a true political party only, not a militia, then Israel (and the Lebanese People) won.

If this really changes public opinion in Israel against military action and they end up cowering under the threat of constant barrage by their neighbors to the extent that the way of living for the country changes, then obviously Hezbollah won, and Lebanon will continue to be a pawn in proxy wars.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

If the virtual apology of Hezbollah for starting it by capturing the Israeli soldiers leads to Hezbollah disarming and becoming a true political party only, not a militia, then Israel (and the Lebanese People) won.

djohsto,
I think this statement is correct. And there is a little support for this in Lebonan, but I dare say way to little. Although neither side is claiming victory there are actions or points hear and there that were won. Hopefully a move to dis arm will be one of them.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I think that Hezballa already is a political party. They are the effective government of southern Lebanon. It is Hezballa not Barite that is providing all the essential services to the pubic (police, medical, welfare and defense). Hezballa with out a doubt won that round but I’m not counting Israel out to make a come back in the near future.
Israel will study exactly what happened and what changes must be made to beat Hezballa next time.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Mr Mxyztplk
Yes Hezbollah is a political party, although be it one armed with weapons of war that usually only contries posess. So what does it mean when a political party is in control of such weapons? It means they can start a war for the state they are in with out the states aproval, permishen, or knolege. As we just saw happen about a month ago.

Is that what a political party should be?

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Militarily there was no clear victor.

Politically it's pretty clear that Hezbollah won a victory just by hanging on and being able to hit back at the Israelis.

In every other sense, Lebanon (as opposed to Hezbollah) clearly lost this war: at least 1000 citizens dead, bridges, roads and gas stations destroyed... Israel's policy of collective punishment against the Lebanese didn't actually hurt Hezbollah much, but it sure as hell hurt the Lebanese.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Politically it's pretty clear that Hezbollah won a victory just by hanging on and being able to hit back at the Israelis.

In every other sense, Lebanon (as opposed to Hezbollah) clearly lost this war: at least 1000 citizens dead, bridges, roads and gas stations destroyed... Israel's policy of collective punishment against the Lebanese didn't actually hurt Hezbollah much, but it sure as hell hurt the Lebanese.

Xmotex
yes both those statments are true, but Hezbollah has also lost some support of the people of Lebonan just for getting them into as much trouble as they did. If you would like a little more insight on that please look hear.

top topics

join