It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2002 Bali bombings and CIA involvement ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Hard to believe that the CIA would be involved in something like this that claimed the lives of so many Australians, or is it, after researching into it a bit more there do seem to be a lot of connections even if some may seem a bit tenuous. Now i wouldn't normally believe anything that came out of Abu Bakar Bashir's mouth but further investigation is definately required imo.

1st source

INDONESIAN Muslim cleric Abu Bakar Bashir claims America's top spy agency was involved in the 2002 Bali bombings.
Bashir, who was convicted and imprisoned for having prior knowledge of the attacks which killed 202 people, including 88 Australians, is also appealing for the lives of three convicted bombers to be spared.

Bashir, the spiritual leader of Jemaah Islamiah (JI), was released from prison in June after serving nearly two years.

Amrozi, Ali Ghufron - also known as Mukhlas - and Imam Samudra are awaiting execution for their part in the plot.

In an interview tonight on ABC television's Foreign Correspondent, Bashir claims the device that killed most people in the Bali attack was a Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) "micro-nuclear" bomb.
"The micro-nuclear bomb that did so much damage was a CIA bomb, not Amrozi's bomb," Bashir told the ABC.

"The Bali bombing was actually masterminded by America. Well, not masterminded, but hijacked. They planned it, but their plan was hijacked by America."

2nd source

It is understood the judges determining Bashir's case last year were concerned for their safety.
Bashir was sentenced last September to four years in prison on treason and immigration charges, widely thought to be a very light sentence. In December, an appeals court quashed the treason conviction and reduced his sentence to three years. In the decision announced yesterday, the Supreme Court reduced it again to 18 months, nearly all of which Bashir has served.
In an interview shown on SBS last night, Bashir said the Central Intelligence Agency was behind the Bali bombings and described the US and Australia as terrorists.

He spent very little time in prison and even boasts that he is able to travel anywhere he wishes as he has had no travel restrictions placed on him by the Indonesian govt ? wtf!
Then there's this 3rd source, this is a transcript of a television documentary aired on sbs television in australia
ABDURRAHMAN WAHID is the former president of Indonesia.

ABDURRAHMAN WAHID: Yeah, who knows that the owners to do this, to do that -- orders to do this, to do that came from within our own forces, not from the culprits, from the fundamentalist people.

More from the transcript, the Indonesian Police Chief.

Luckily there's an old print lying around from a previous exercise. Because of the war on terror, American and Australian support for the Indonesian police has never been stronger. During Dai Bachtiar's 5-year reign as police chief, Indonesia endured countless act of terror including three major ones - in Bali, then the Marriott Hotel and the Australian Embassy in Jakarta. These massive blasts might have forced the resignation of any other senior official but Dai Bachtiar managed to survive with the backing of powerful friends at home and abroad.
POLICE CHIEF (Translation): I met Paul Wolfowitz.
In Indonesia's parliament earlier this year, I found the police chief boasting about how he gets the star treatment when he visits Washington.
POLICE CHIEF (Translation): I went to Washington, to the White Hosue, to the West Wing. I spoke to Colin Powell in his office. I went to the Pentagon, I met the director of the CIA, the director of the FBI, I met them all.

Bold is my emphasis.

4th source

According to Sayed Abdullah, who operates an intelligence services firm in Indonesia, “It is clear that the CIA and the Mossad have infiltrated such organizations [Jemaah Islamiyah, Hamas, and Hezbollah].” Abdullah told Kazi Mahmood of IslamOnline the he believe it “is obvious the CIA and the Mossad, assisted by the Australian Special Action Police (SAP) and the M15 of England, are all working towards undermining Muslim organizations in an attempt to weaken the Muslims globally.”
Abdullah believes the Bali bombing of 2002 was “an operation clearly financed and assisted by the CIA and Mossad, made use of Muslims to carry out the final act…. Those Muslims were not innocent since they took the bait handed over by the CIA and the Mossad to bomb Bali and to avenge against the U.S. war on the Muslims in Afghanistan.”
The Indonesian expert argued said that “to achieve this, the CIA used one of its operatives, Omar Al-Faruq, an Arab living in the U.S. who speaks Arabic and knows a little about Islam and who was sent to Indonesia to infiltrate the so called terrorist groups.
He said that Al-Faruq initially infiltrated the Laskar Jihad, a group of Muslim volunteers fighting for the safeguard of the Maluku’s during the conflict of the Island.
When the Laskar was winded down by its leader, Al-Faruq was sent to join the Mujahideen Council of Indonesia (MMI), created and headed by jailed Indonesian Islamic leader Abu Bakar Basyir, added Sayed Abdullah

bold my emphasis.
Now this name Al-Faruq pop's up.

TEMPO Interactive, Jakarta:Former State Intelligence Coordinating Board (BAKIN) chief A.C. Manulang has said that Kuwaitd citizen Omar Al-Faruq, a terrorist suspect who was arrested in Bogor, West Java, on June 5, 2002 and handed over to the US three days later, is a CIA-recruited agent.
Al Faruq was assigned to infiltrate Islamic radical groups and recruit local agents within these groups.
“When Al Faruq finished his assignments, the CIA created a scenario that he had been arrested,” Manulang told Tempo News Room in Jakarta on Thursday afternoon (19/9).

what wikipedia has to say about Al-Faruq

Omar al-Faruq is a Kuwaiti citizen, and alleged senior al Qaeda cadre, who escaped from the Bagram high value detention centre. Al-Faruq has been described as a liaison between al Qaeda and Islamic militants in the Far East. Al-Faruq was, apparently, captured in Indonesia.[1] However some observers have suggested that Al-Faruq was a CIA mole.[2]
Al-Faruq's capture was based on information derived from the capture of Abu Zubaydah.[3]

In 2005 Faruq escaped from Bagram with 3 others, Hasan Qayad, Muhammad Ja'far al-Qahtani, Abdallah al-Hashimi. Hambali and Husin were working for JI when Al-Faruq joined MMi headed by, you guessed it, Abu Bakar Basyir

Azahari Husin thought to be the bombmaker in the 2002 bali bombings was a close associate of Riduan Isamuddin (better known as Hambali and JI's former operational chief) who fought against the russians in afghanistan where he could well have received support from the cia who were heavily involved in that conflict, as this is where he met osama bin laden, who was being supported by the cia at that time.

5th source

He travelled to Afghanistan in the year 1983 to fight the Soviet Union during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Over the three year course of being a mujahid, from 1987 to 1990, met Osama bin Laden. Most of his friends and family back home claim that they did not know what he was doing.

also from wikipedia

.The mujahideen were significantly financed, armed, and trained by the United States (during the Carter and Reagan administrations

Am still researching this as there seem to be so many loose ends and coincidence's, and connections to some powerful friends by many of the alledged perpetrators. Abu Bakar Basyir spent very little time in prison, Hambali has disappeared after being arrested and extradited by the US, Al-Faruq escaped from Bagram detention centre (how) and Husin blew himself to pieces supposedly ( be hard to identify him wouldnt it). What do you think, personally ive never really believed the "CIA are behind everything conspiracy theory's" but some of this stuff really does force you to think again.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Darn you're quick mojo, you beat me by seconds.

I am interested about the capabilities of a mini-nuke, I know nothing about them.

Bashir is easy to disregard as a fundie crackpot, but for some reason I feel there is more to this. As you stated tenuous links do seem to surround this case.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Sorry dude,quick or the dead mate, your right though, normally i wouldnt listen to a word bashir utters but there does seem to be more to this. Its all over the news here at the moment, you must have caught the same reports as me. I did come across a link regarding the mini nuke but it wasnt a great source, i'll see if i can dig it up again for you.

edit to add links

Didnt take Alexander Downer long to try and kill this story off, hopefully it wont go away until there are a few questions asked and answered, though i wont hold my breath.

source

FOREIGN Minister Alexander Downer has rejected fresh claims about the Bali bombings by firebrand Indonesian cleric Abu Bakar Bashir as "preposterous".
Mr Downer also said he was happy with the way Indonesia was monitoring the movements of Bashir, despite the cleric suggesting he faced no travel restrictions.
Bashir, convicted of having prior knowledge of the 2002 attacks which killed 202 people including 88 Australians, now claims US ' top spy agency was involved in the attacks.

heres that source citing the use of the mini nuke, i wouldnt put much faith in whats being reported on this site though

It was precisely 11.30 p.m. on Saturday 12 October 2002, when someone somewhere pressed a button that sent a single coded radio-squirt to an underground aerial located in a monsoon drain outside the Sari Club in Bali. An unseen circuit closed and a primer fired, then one-millionth of a single second later, a terrible fireball formed under the street. Less than six inches in diameter and burning at a staggering 300,000 degrees centigrade, the fireball was a perfect shimmering sphere, made possible by 99.78% Plutonium 239 manufactured at the Dimona nuclear facility in the Negev Desert.
Five microseconds passed while this fission monster from hell expanded, then the already-cooling fireball tore its angry way out into the street above, vaporizing all victims standing within thirty feet while simultaneously spreading two tons of deadly microscopic roadbed shrapnel in a lethal arc across Kuta Beach. Every survivor standing in direct line-of-sight of its awesome ultraviolet emission received terrible flash burns, the like of which three eminent Australian burns surgeons would later claim on TV they ?had never seen before?.
Less than ten-millionths of a second after the monster achieved critical mass, its searing thermal wave set fire to twenty-seven buildings in the immediate area, and spontaneously ignited automobiles parked two blocks away from ground zero. But as you will read later in this report, no ordinary Geiger counter from any nation could detect radiation from the weapon.

not a lot of info here on mini nukes, but maybe enough to give you an idea

Mini-nuke is a term used for a low yield nuclear weapon which has much less explosive power than the most powerful nuclear weapons available. Because of the relatively small yield, a state can plan to use these weapons while hoping to avoid negative public reactions associated with nuclear war. Any potenial plan to produce mini-nukes by the United States has been blocked by the United States Congress, which prohibited the development of any nuclear weapons with a yield of less than five kilotons

Trying to see if i can find anymore connections between Bashir, Hambali, Husin and Al-Faruq and any links to the CIA or others.

[edit on 29/8/06 by mojo4sale]

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
check out
www.vialls.com...
some examples of mini-nukes

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Interesting, i live in Australia and i havn't heard anything about that.

all u guys say its over the news right? well it isnt here, i had to dig through the internet to find this site.

new topics

top topics

join