It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK and the F-35?

page: 1

join
share:
loz

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
First off let me say sorry if this has been brought up before, but im just curious. I read in the newspaper a few months ago that the UK contributed billions, to help America develop the F-35, and the deal was America would give us the blueprints once complete so we could make the jet. However when the money had been handed over and it was time for America to give us the plans, they refused to and never returned the money.
I just wundered if anyone knew of any recent news on this matter as i have not heard or seen anything on it in the British media since.

Thnakyou.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It isn't quite like that. There was never any question of them giving us the blueprints to build our own. BAE has a 20% stake in the F-35 and manufactures that proportion of *every* F-35.

The problem was about the US releasing the necessary software codes that would give the UK total operational sovereignty over the aircraft in UK service, without which a UK purchase of the Lightning would be a nonsense. This did not affect the UK's industrial share of the programme however, it was only a barrier to UK service.

The issue has reportedly been resolved now anyway so, although there has not yet been a UK order placed for it, it should only be a matter of time.

loz

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I see. Nice to hear, i'd love to see us Brits using that jet someday its awesome. Just goes to show how misinforming the daily mail can be!

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by loz
First off let me say sorry if this has been brought up before, but im just curious. I read in the newspaper a few months ago that the UK contributed billions, to help America develop the F-35, and the deal was America would give us the blueprints once complete so we could make the jet. However when the money had been handed over and it was time for America to give us the plans, they refused to and never returned the money.
I just wundered if anyone knew of any recent news on this matter as i have not heard or seen anything on it in the British media since.

Thnakyou.

that could turn into war the info i have says northro grumman assisted

new topics

top topics

join