It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can they actually get a description from a DNA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I was watching a show on DNA where they very briefly mentioned that everything about you, every little detail is in the DNA. The show was not focusing n descriptions but it made me wonder if they have your DNA can they not get a fairly good description of you? Like for instance in the Jon Benet murder case would they not be able to give a description of the murderer based on the DNA he left behind?

If they can do this with the DNA, has it been done in other murder cases?

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Maybe just a few things, but certainly not anything close to a full picture. We just don't have that much knowledge of what genes are where on the chromosomes and what they do.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I believe they have to have a good enough sample to test. They are looking where small segements of DNA are repeated over and over. Different people have different numbers of repeated segments.

Sometimes these tests require a large sample, like in the order of 5000 cells. It is necessary so they have more of a pattern to analyze.

Example: I give you two patterns.

You don't get much from the shorter one but in the longer one it becomes clear

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by goose
iif they have your DNA can they not get a fairly good description of you? Like for instance in the Jon Benet murder case would they not be able to give a description of the murderer based on the DNA he left behind?

No. Currently our understanding of genetics doesn't permit any such evaluation. IMO, it's unlikely that this will ever be a reality. There are a number of factors not related to genetics that influence what someones appearance will be. People can't be reduced to simple DNA sequences. There's some synergy happening.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
No this is not possible right now. You can get an idea of some genes the person carries but you have no idea how they are expressed. We have mapped the human genome but we do not currently know all the locations of certain genes. So you cant really look at the DNA and say this person is blue eyed, brown headed, and 5'6. It is way too conplex. But there are distinct genes that have been mapped are linked to certain illnesses that could give you clues to a persons identity and obviously you can tell the sex. In the future Im sure this will be possible, its just going to take a really looong time LOL

Very good question though!!

new topics

top topics

join