It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sir! No Sir! A Film About The Gi Movement Against The War In Vietnam (DVD On sale Now)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Sir! No Sir! A Film About The Gi Movement Against The War In Vietnam.

This is the story of one of the most vibrant and widespread upheavals of the 1960's–one that had profound impact on American society, yet has been virtually obliterated from the collective memory of that time.

In the 1960’s an anti-war movement emerged that altered the course of history. This movement didn’t take place on college campuses, but in barracks and on aircraft carriers. It flourished in army stockades, navy brigs and in the dingy towns that surround military bases. It penetrated elite military colleges like West Point. And it spread throughout the battlefields of Vietnam. It was a movement no one expected, least of all those in it. Hundreds went to prison and thousands into exile. And by 1971 it had, in the words of one colonel, infested the entire armed services. Yet today few people know about the GI movement against the war in Vietnam.

The Vietnam War has been the subject of hundreds of films, both fiction and non-fiction, but this story–the story of the rebellion of thousands of American soldiers against the war–has never been told in film.This is certainly not for lack of evidence. By the Pentagon’s own figures, 503,926 “incidents of desertion” occurred between 1966 and 1971; officers were being “fragged”(killed with fragmentation grenades by their own troops) at an alarming rate; and by 1971 entire units were refusing to go into battle in unprecedented numbers. In the course of a few short years, over 100 underground newspapers were published by soldiers around the world; local and national antiwar GI organizations were joined by thousands; thousands more demonstrated against the war at every major base in the world in 1970 and 1971, including in Vietnam itself; stockades and federal prisons were filling up with soldiers jailed for their opposition to the war and the military.

Yet few today know of these history-changing events.

Buy Online Now

I was part of that movement during the 60’s, and have an intimate connection with it. For two years I worked as a civilian at the Oleo Strut in Killeen, Texas–one of dozens of coffeehouses that were opened near military bases to support the efforts of antiwar soldiers. I helped organize demonstrations of over 1,000 soldiers against the war and the military; I worked with guys from small towns and urban ghettos who had joined the military and gone to Vietnam out of a deep sense of duty and now risked their lives and futures to end the war; and I helped defend them when they were jailed for their antiwar activities. My deep connection with the GI movement has given me unprecedented access to those involved, along with a tremendous amount of archival material including photographs, underground papers, local news coverage and personal 8mm footage.

Sir! No Sir! reveals how, thirty years later, the poem by Bertolt Brecht that became an anthem of the GI Movement still resonates:

General, man is very useful.
He can fly and he can kill.
But he has one defect: He can think.

The film that is rocking the country!

A powerful documentary that uncovers half-forgotten history, history that is still relevant but not in ways you might be expecting.
- Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times

Speaks not just to the legacy of our misadventures in Vietnam, but to the entire uncertain future of a nation at war. Bill Gallo, Village Voice
Superb...moves with nearly as much breathless momentum as the movement itself.

- Chuck Wilson, L.A. Weekly

A film that threatens the war movement with every showing, the Bush administration should outlaw it from all theaters within fifty miles of an armed forces recruiting station.
- Ron Wilkinson, Monsters and Critics

Buy Online Now

Watch the Trailer
The Story
Reviews

This thread is part of a special by-permission advertising relationship with the film production company, Displaced Films.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I found out that some of my Saigon Bits were included in this movie back in February 2006. Since then, David Zeiger and I have become great friends and August 22, 2006, met at his home..... had lunch..... then had dinner with his beautiful family.

This movie is about what can happen when not only the civilian population gets sick of a NO WIN WAR..... but when the soldiers themselves say.... ENOUGH! Having served three tours in the Nam, I can tell you that even I was rocked at how deeply the revolt went.

Had it not been for the tremendous network of GI's in Saigon, Radio First Termer would have never lasted the 21 days.

This is the BEST MONEY you will ever spend on a documentary. I give it a solid FOUR RABBITS UP!

Congratulations David again.... and thanks for the hospitality that you showed my family.

Your Bud....

Dave

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
There was never a movement to end the war in Vietnam. There was a movement to end American involvement in Vietnam. Two years after the US pulled out its last combat troops, Saigon fell, condemning millions to torture, death and political asylum. Will the left ever stop the lies? They can't. It's the only way to drown out the truth.

Murder by Communism

[edit on 2006/8/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
What happpened Grady, you get lost on the way to PTS?

You wanna root for one half of the bifurcated control system, be my guest.

But, just like defecation, there's a designated area set aside for that...

Vietnam wasn't about left/right, or red/blue - it was about blood (who shed it) and money (who made it) and lies - at least that's the way I see it. Not that it matters, because this thread isn't about the larger topic of Vietnam, it's about soldiers resisting control, and the conspiracy to keep their disobedience from the American public. Unless you have some greater point about the role played by communism in the soldier movement being discussed, I don't see the point of your comment, or your link.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The movement was never to stop the war. The movement was to support a communist victory over South Vietnam. The war did not end when the US pulled out. It ended when the communists defeated the South Vietnamese, but the slaughter continued for decades.

So what you're trying to say is that the whole anti-war movement during the Vietnam war whether the protesters where college students, hippies, or soldiers was actually a pro-communist movement? That they weren't really against the war, they were just against America winning it?

I'm not buying it.

That would be like saying that everyone who has protested the Iraq war aren't really protesting against war, they're rallying behind the insurgency. Not everyone who wants peace is a communist. This is an example of McCarthyism at it's worst.

Call them traitors if you want but anyone who didn't follow orders under Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia would have been called a traitor by their country. Any soldiers who might have deserted because of Germany's pre-emptive invasion of Poland would have been a "traitor." Just recently there was a soldier who refused to go to Iraq on moral grounds. You might think he's a traitor, I think he's doing the right thing.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Not to sound like an ass.....

But shouldn't this be in the Media section and not the Website Related area????

Just a question.

Also if anyone sees this movie can you tell us how it is? So we can get an idea what to expect..

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Cool! You know, I never would have known about this movie if it wasn't for this thread being started. I will make a point to get myself a copy of it. I personally see these people as heroes that stood up for their rights, and their rights to protest.

To those that feel the need to call them traitors, well, I don't know what to say. You want to believe that, you're entitled to your beliefs. However, my mother was not a traitor, nor any of my other family members and friends that protested that war. Funny that people who protest, and are within their rights, are so easily called traitors these days. Oh well.

ThichHeaded, I am going to order it tonight. I will make a point of starting either a BTS thread on the movie, or I will respond directly to this one, once I recieve it and watch it.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShakyaHeir
So what you're trying to say is that the whole anti-war movement during the Vietnam war whether the protesters where college students, hippies, or soldiers was actually a pro-communist movement? That they weren't really against the war, they were just against America winning it?

Thats not what he said, he said that the Anti-War movement was to end American involvement in vietnam. The Anti-War movement neglected the fact that just because America had left, that didnt mean the communists nor their intentions did.

The communists murdered millions when the US left. That, despite their peaceful intentions, is what the Anti-War movement did not forsee.

I dont really blame the deaths on the Anti-War people. I blame it on their ignorance and arrogance.

It is happening once more in Iraq and they will not see the repercussions of their actions until it is too late.

I dont believe "leftist" is the proper term for the Anti-War movement all though their views maybe be similiar. Leftists can be quite militant when they want to be.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Two years after the US pulled out its last combat troops, Saigon fell, condemning millions to torture, death and political asylum. Will the left ever stop the lies? They can't. It's the only way to drown out the truth.

Bloviating again, I see...

Can I try?..

If the US hadn't gone to SVN then Saigon could have fallen much sooner and for far less cost to the people of Vietnam, Australia, New Zealand, the US, South Korea, Laos and Cambodia. Especially Cambodia.

How was that?

So, Grady, try looking at all the facts before you indulge in unrelated ranting. Before others accuse you of sticking your fingers in your ears and chanting "nah-nah-nah-I'm-not-listening-I-can't-hear-you-nah-nah..."

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
One of the problems with only giving part of a story is that it is the same as a lie. For a documentary of this type to have any value it should present both sides and all the evidence pro or con. The current crop of these films fail to do that. Why? To attempt to influence people into seeing things their way instead of trying to get to the whole truth. These films are pure sensationalism aimed at the young and naive and the uninformed. All the makers care about is lining their pockets with ill-gotten money.

Both sides were wrong when it came to the peace movement and Vietnam. Both sides are lying. Both sides were violent. Even though the draft dodgers claimed to be pacifists they committed violent acts and destroyed property. Those who ran the war lied about the reasons for the war to keep it going their way.

To imply that Vietnam has been written out of history is another lie. Vietnam has been debated continually for all these years and it never stops. In talking to young people I have been appalled at the rewritten history the activist professors are teaching as fact. It seems as though the lying never stops on either side.

I remember watching my friends and neighbors coming home in body bags.
I remember watching the body counts on the nightly news while waiting to turn 18.
I remember that many of the so called peace activists were charismatic criminals who tried to brainwash a generation to further their true agenda of anarchy.
I remember the sociopathic behavior of these pieces of human waste.
I remember the cowards who instead of standing up for their beliefs snuck off to other countries.
I remember the brave men who replaced them and did what they believed to be their duty to their country.
I remember my neighbor coming home minus his legs because he trusted a little boy who he paid to shine his boots just before this child threw a grenade at him and blew his legs off.
I remember the brave men who refused to go and accepted their fates because they believed it was the right thing to do.
I remember so called peace activists overturning cars, starting fires, throwing rocks and bottles at people and creating general mayhem.
I remember innocent students who protested peacefully being shot by a bunch of terrified National Guard troops who had nothing to do with causing the war.
I remember people spitting on the soldiers as they returned and calling them baby killers.
I remember walking by a group of protesters who were openly using hard drugs in a public place and defying the authorities to do something about it.
I remember the government overreacting and giving people who were all ready scared more reason to hate them.
I remember people avoiding the draft by enrolling in universities who are now the professors teaching false history to another generation to justify their actions.
I remember us pulling our troops out and leaving our allies to die by the millions at the hands of the enemy.
I remember those profiting from the war making sure we never even tried to win so the cash would keep flowing.

Both sides were wrong. Both sides lied. Movies that do not tell the whole story are just another ruse to scare people into pulling out their wallets. Everyone should be very angry they are being used by these jerks. If they have to resort to lies to make a point, they have no point to make.

Before I get flamed - read the whole post in context. I'm an anti-war pacifist who also beleives the rule of law is vital to a free society. I take neither side in this debate as both sides are wrong as usuall.

[edit on 8/29/2006 by Blaine91555]

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This thread will resume to be on-topic.

The topic is a move about the GI anti-war movement during the Vietnam era, and the government's efforts to cover it up.

This thread is not about partisan bickering.

It is not about the attributes of the Vietnam war.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Good One Boss.... and, as always.... RIGHT ON TARGET. The movie is about WHAT was covered up for over 35 years or so.

I have watched it numerous times at premiers and other occasions and it is a story about people.... civilians and military who believed that there was a BETTER WAY and, for some, paid with imprisonment, banishment or eventual death from AGENT ORANGE. Regardless, it is a story that was covered up for the most part by the government and was hopefully buried forever.

David Zeiger, with absolutely no huge funding and being an independent film maker, put his financial life on the line to tell this story about the military anti-war movement that penetrated so deep, that NIXON couldn't rely on the combat ground troops and began bombing the crap out of every living thing with B-52's.

As THE BOSS said, this is not about debate.... right or wrong... left or right.... up or down..... in and out (wait... that was Saigon
)...... it is strictly about the cover up. Conspiracy is what ATS is all about.... and this is just another chapter in the on going COVER UP to the people of the world.

Just my opinion.....

Dave

[edit on 8/29/2006 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Why is it that this topic screams Terms and Conditions abuse? I wonder what would happen if I were to advertise a DVD for sale?

1e.) Recruitment Content: You will not post advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations of any kind. You will not collect personal information about forum members for the purpose of sending advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations through other means (email, messaging programs, etc.).

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Well..... I can't speak for the THREE AMIGOS..... but I'll take a stab at it.....

THEY OWN THE SITE! DUH!

Just My Opinion......

Dave

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Maybe this event will lead to a fostering of discontent within the ATS community. People will begin to flaunt and disobey the T&Cs, but this will be covered up by the Three Amigos. Then some dude will begin a podcast that will poke fun at the site administrators, and then...oh hang on...

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Love it! That said.... considering that all of us members here at ATS enjoy the freedoms extended for FREE..... what the OWNERS do or not do, quite frankly in my opinion, is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS! When all of us band together and decide to START PAYING..... then some of the opinions might be valid.... CHECK PLEASE!

Dave

[edit on 8/30/2006 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Ahh so what you're saying is that double standards are ok when it suits "the three amigos"?

edit: I forgot to ask what freedoms do we have that are extended for free here?

[edit on 30-8-2006 by rancid1]

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I never heard of a G.I. movement but then again I wasnt there, but my father was, I dont know what he would think of such a video but I'll ask him and see. I do know that till this very day he talks very little about his time in veit nam, To make matters worse doctors think that he may have an agent orange related illness.

[edit on 30-8-2006 by the_sentinal]

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Well, somebody's on-topic, anyway.
The fact that you've never heard of it could be taken as evidence of how effective the cover-up was.
Perhaps somebody would like to tell the readers about a little book called "About Face"...the author, unfortunately, died rather recently, as was discussed here in a thread, but it ran paralell with this topic quite nicely.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Nevermind, taking my comment to another thread. Missed the SO warning above.

[edit on 8/30/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join