It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Way To Trick Cancer Cells Into Destruction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Scientists have discovered a way to fool cancer cells into destruction. This is by way of using a synthetic compound. This compound, in theory, activates the natural executioner in the bodies cells. Bodily cells ceasing to divide and thus self destruction is one of the ways the body prevents cells from turning into tumors. This method of self perspiration involves a protein called procaspase-3. This new synthetic molecule will directly activate procaspase-3. This could lead to better treatments of cancers including lung, skin, breast, kidney, and colon.

www.guardian.co.uk
But Paul Hergenrother, a chemist at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, has found a way around the natural biological process that kickstarts apoptosis - a synthetic molecule that directly activates procaspase-3. "This is the first in what could be a host of organic compounds with the ability to directly activate executioner enzymes."
His team screened more than 20,000 different compounds, looking for the one with the ability to turn procaspase-3 into caspase-3. The researchers called the successful molecule "procaspase activating compound number one" (PAC-1). The results are published today in Nature Chemical Biology.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

First off this does sound like a good discovery in the world of cancer treatment. I do hope it will work. Second, for those of you who have been following any of the threads about medical treatments you will know the dark side to medical research. Do the companies, and the people doing the research really want to find a cure? Note the article did say treatment, not a cure. A managing treatment means the company that has the patent on the compound gets truckloads more money. So will this be a discovery that will be seen by the public at need? Or by the time it gets to the public will something that is no better then any other treatment?

Related News Links:
www.news-medical.net
www.emaxhealth.com
www.teluguportal.net
www.sciam.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
We Can Cure Cancer
Aids/Cancer treatment suppressed
Has anyone ever tried the Gerson treatment for cancer?

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Good find.

I do have reservations, because this seems to herald yet another "blockbuster" drug - NOT the way to go.

Hopefully this research will be used in personalized medicine and pharmacogenetics (first post).

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Good find.

I do have reservations, because this seems to herald yet another "blockbuster" drug - NOT the way to go.

Hopefully this research will be used in personalized medicine and pharmacogenetics (first post).

Soficrow,
thanks for the compliment! And yes I agree with what you said about the drugs. If this methen ever does mature into a treat or possibley a cure, which is the drug companies worst fear, I also hope it will get to the people. There has been plent of talk arond hear about supresing medical treatments, so I hope this will not be one of those.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Now that's just cool. I hope they continue to develop that, and can make it into a workable medication for Cancer patients. It'll be nice to be able to kill one of the most notorious killers of the past 50 years.

TheBorg

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Now that's just cool. I hope they continue to develop that, and can make it into a workable medication for Cancer patients. It'll be nice to be able to kill one of the most notorious killers of the past 50 years.

TheBorg

I sure do agree with you there Borg. It will be good to see this beacome workable, and with all the other treatments already out there perhaps this will make the quality of life better for all those with cancer.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
If they can get this process working reliably and without problems it must surely be a matter of time before they can use a similar process to destroy other infections as well from something like the common cold to AIDS? and if they could get the body to defend it's self rather than rely on things like chemotherapy it would surely save the patients from a lot af side affects aswell? along with cost savings from having to treat those side affects?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
If they can get this process working reliably and without problems it must surely be a matter of time before they can use a similar process to destroy other infections as well from something like the common cold to AIDS? and if they could get the body to defend it's self rather than rely on things like chemotherapy it would surely save the patients from a lot af side affects aswell? along with cost savings from having to treat those side affects?

Solidshot,
You are certinaly right about the side effects. Chemotherapy is a very bad thing. It will be a glorious day indeed when that is no longer needed. But cancer and aids are two different things as I understand them. A cancer is when a cell continues to divide when it would have self destructed. This news story claims that it cancause the cell to self destruct which could very well put an end to the cancer. Aids is different from that. But should this work the lives of many people will be much better.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Interesting find!

I once heard that tree bark also contains essential elements in killing cancer cells. It's supposed to contain a large amount of cancer fighting minerals.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
One thing, how can this target only cancer cells and not healthy cells?

Any way I bet this is more promising than Alex Chiu's alegations of the cancer cure pill

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
One thing, how can this target only cancer cells and not healthy cells?

Any way I bet this is more promising than Alex Chiu's alegations of the cancer cure pill

Marg,
Thanks for your responce. To anser your question I dont know.
Perhaps by injecting into the tumor its slef, but maby more will be published on this some day.

top topics

join