It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim college football players sue saying beliefs led to dismissal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Three muslims are suing their school because they were dismissed after the coach found out they were muslims. The coach had everyone recite the lords prayer before each game, which alienated the muslims, and eventually led to the coach finding out about their religious beliefs.

This is just plain nuts.

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Heh, I played football with a couple of Muslims when I was in High School, they were good. There are lots of bigots in the US, there is no doubt about that. And unfortunate as this, it is not surprising. You see the same kind of attitudes here on ATS as well.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I agree with the coach. Football is a team game!

What's next? Affirmative action in sports? Certain # of Whites? Blacks? Jews? Catholics? Muslims?

If I am a coach and I have players affecting the moral of the team, and are considered "troublemakers", they are gone!

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I hope you're kidding right??

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
I agree with the coach. Football is a team game!

What's next? Affirmative action in sports? Certain # of Whites? Blacks? Jews? Catholics? Muslims?

If I am a coach and I have players affecting the moral of the team, and are considered "troublemakers", they are gone!

It may be a team game, but it sure as hell isnt a religious game! What would have happened if there were Jews on the team? Or Hindus? Surely you don't expect them to recite some crappy prayer? what about Atheists? Imagine the crap that would fly up if Jews were kicked out the team for the same reason?

If I was in that team and the coach asked me to recite the prayer, I would refuse. To me, Jesus is bunk. But I'm not going to enforce that belief on anyone else and it shouldn't be done vice versa.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   

If you were a coach with that type of sentiments you you will be "Gone"

Been of different religion is not by any means a Trouble maker.

In the article I didn't see anything pointing to complains by the other team members.

Beside since when religion is enforced by Universities.

[edit on 17-9-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Why do you assume they where troublemakers based on their religion? I read the article and did not get it from there.

If they did not get along with their team mates, or where a disruption to the team, the deserved to be cut from the team.

A coach decides who is on the team, not judges!

Let's say a midget decides to try out for the basketball team, and for obvious reasons does not make it. Should he turn around and sue?

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Why do you assume they where troublemakers based on their religion? I read the article and did not get it from there.

If they did not get along with their team mates, or where a disruption to the team, the deserved to be cut from the team.

You can read, can't you?

The lawsuit said Mumme had players recite the Lord's Prayer after each practice and before each game. Ali and the Thompsons said that practice made them feel like outcasts and caused them to pray separately from the other players.

and

According to the lawsuit, not long after Mumme learned that Ali and the Thompsons were Muslim, he prohibited the Thompsons from attending the team's spring 2005 training camp and questioned Ali about his attitudes toward al-Qaida.

and

The ACLU last year filed a grievance against Mumme, alleging he repeatedly questioned Ali about al-Qaida

and

"When you've got players reporting that the coach is having players recite the Lord's Prayer as a routine practice ... that in itself suggests a discriminatory environment," he said.

All from the original article.

Try again.

EDIT to add: Why do you assume they were "troublemakers"? Seems to me that the coach was enforcing his religious beliefs on non-christians and penalising against those who were muslim.

Incidently, the coach has apologised for any unintentional offence caused by him as a result, in effect not denying any accusations laid against him.

[edit on 17/9/06 by stumason]

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
If this coach has a bad season or two, he could be fired. Do we really need judges deciding who should be on a football team? That is a coach's job. We don't need every namby pamby special interest group complaining when one of their own is cut from a team.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   

If this coach has a bad season or two, he could be fired. Do we really need judges deciding who should be on a football team?

If the guy kicked these kids off because they're muslims, then he's a prick and should be fired, regardless of his win/loss record. Some things are a little more important than an inflated peice of plastic.

That is a coach's job. We don't need every namby pamby special interest group complaining when one of their own is cut from a team.

Bollocks. If these were white kids kicked off a basketball team for being white, without regard to their ability, there'd be a tremendous public outcry. This coach should be fired, period.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Yes it's the coaches job to cut players from the team if he sees need to do so. But only if his opinion is that those players do not make the team better in any way. But not because of their RELIGION? That's discrimination!

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I mean, EVEN IF one argues that no one has the legal right to be on a football team,(and I wouldn't make that argument) and that thus the suit is baseless, this coach is still a peice of garbage that should be fired.

new topics

top topics

join