It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new XM500 .50 cal anti-material rifle.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Holy molly.
What else are they making? Sooo they replacing the M82 for a shorter and lighter rifle based on bullpup configuration. Lets see how it performs in the tests.

www.defensereview.com...

[edit on 28-8-2006 by deltaboy]

www.barrettrifles.com...

Thought I add the official website.

[edit on 28-8-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I have noticed there's a CQB shorty version of the M82 so a bullpup seems like the next logical step. Having a high powered rifle in tight areas like urban scenarios with rooms etc.. can be tricky so the shorter the better IMO provided accuracy isnt sacraficed

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
A Bull Pup lay out is great for retaining accuracy and shortening the over all rifle size. Its a good idea to have a heavy hitter like that for CQB in a town. Punch through the walls and still get a hard kill on your target is a great moral booster as well as a potent weapon.

5.56 just doesn't cut it at longer rangers for sniper rifles, and yet the 7.62 the US uses is a real long weapon (non bull pup), so to get this into production would be a bonus for al those who need a hard hitting but shorter sniper rifle.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
A rifle like the new XM500 .50 cal anti-material rifle, is a SNIPER rifle, pure and simple. Whether it is an anti-materiel rifle, or an anti-personnel rifle, it is still a sniper rifle.

I would imagine that the reason for this apparent reconfiguration, is at your DOD request and MAY have something to do with weight, size and ease of use in an urban environment.

The XM500 is still a BIG rifle by usual standards and if I were a sniper conducting counter-sniper ops and I saw a guy carrying one of those monsters, I add two and two and come up with - enemy sniper!

Draw your own conclusions but please, a single shot, semi automatic weapon in a CQB environment, don't make me

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Fritz

Single shot semiautomatic weapon is more than adequate in CQB, in my opinion Full Auto is only useable in supression, but business is done with Semi on. (We never used FA in our Rk-95s when doing building raids)

But let's say that a .50 BMG rifle in any configuration is too heavy and clumsy to use CQB, it's a support weapon plain and simple. But i assume this would be nicer to carry in woods too, it's nasty to get stuck between trees from the rifle

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
seems were getting our terms muddled here.

FIBUA. fighting in built up areas was what i was pointing towards. fighting in cities and towns.

Sorry if i chucked in the wrong acrynom / muddled it up like. I tried to use an american term to get a point across and i fell flat on my face.

But i stick with my opinion that a bull pup sniper rifle would be miles better in a built up area than a good old fashioned boom stick.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I've read somewhere, that the CQB variant of .50 caliber rifle has weaker ammo. The caliber is the same, but the cartridge is shorter, although still very powerfull, it can shoot through most materials like sniper variant but has shorter effective range (500 meters when compared to 1500 of light fifty). It is mainly used to shoot kill enemy through walls or everytime when more stopping power is necessary.
The benefits are decreased recoil and the weapon is lighter than original sniper variant.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Why on earth would you use a low-power .50cal, when you could use a much lighter rifle in .338 Lapua Mag, with better penetration and lower recoil
(It would be my choise of sniper caliber in most situations)

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
seems were getting our terms muddled here.

FIBUA. fighting in built up areas was what i was pointing towards. fighting in cities and towns.

Sorry if i chucked in the wrong acrynom / muddled it up like. I tried to use an american term to get a point across and i fell flat on my face.

But i stick with my opinion that a bull pup sniper rifle would be miles better in a built up area than a good old fashioned boom stick.

Sorry guy. It's not called FIBUA any more. It has become Operations [in] Built Up Area [OBUA] and Fighting [in] Wooded Areas [FIWA].

The rifle in question is indeed a sniper's weapon, be it anti-materiel or anti-personnel.

The sniper in this type of [OBUA] operation, would be employed as a Battalion or Company asset and as such, would be used to supress the enemy out to 1000 metres, kill known enemy commanders, gunners, radio operators, and NOTclear buildings as an assaulter!

That was the point I was trying to get across.

Another point I would like to make, is in an OBUA scenario, the sniper with this type of weapon and [it's signature] would require his [or her] own close protection.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Can someone clarify if this is basically a kinetic-energy weapon, or whether it has a meaningful explosive warhead? How much explosive can you fit into something like that and does it make any difference?

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

Can someone clarify if this is basically a kinetic-energy weapon, or whether it has a meaningful explosive warhead? How much explosive can you fit into something like that and does it make any difference?

The 12.7mm bullet is too small and at less than 50g too light to carry a significant amount of explosives+the necessary detonator. But there are incendiary and several AP rounds available.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Why on earth would you use a low-power .50cal, when you could use a much lighter rifle in .338 Lapua Mag, with better penetration and lower recoil
(It would be my choise of sniper caliber in most situations)

It is not that weak, still more powerfull than Lapua, especially concerning stopping power, just long range ballistics is worse. Just because it is a little weaker, doesn't mean it's like SMG round.

But the rifle original poster is talking about is not CQB version, it's regular sniper rifle.

BTW there already was bullpup version of M-82 before, it was not very sucessfull, at least concerning sales.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Lol i'd rather use the XM 109 sniper rifle!!!

2.5 times more deadly thn a .50 cal!!!

www.military.com...

Buta .50 cal still packs a huge punch. It can still get through APC's and shoot through cinderblocks or sandbags and still be lethal.The m107 .50 cal was way too big thiss eems to be a good replacement for it!

[edit on 1-9-2006 by urmomma158]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
XM109 is also bigger and heavier as is the ammo, and for lots of jobs its overkill Its 25mm but a 20mm has like 27-28Klbs of energy vs about 17K for .50 so its not twice the energy but I guess the payload (HE) of the round is what makes it more deadly. A 9mm is deadly if it it kills right? so how is a 20mm 2.5 more deadly? Does it take the same 25mm ammo as the bushmaster cannon in the Bradley IFV? I guess with HE rounds its more deadly. Plus in most places even a 20mm like an old Lahti or something is considered a destructive device or weapon and you need a class III or special permits for it, while nothing is required for a .50 more than any other rifle or shotgun. I've also read that since CA did or is making .50 BMGs illegal Barret is releasing a proprietary .416 round that is almost the same thing, but will be legal
I dont even think they sell the XM109 to anyone but the military but I could be wrong?

The Barret I was thinking of is called the M82A1CQ the CQ being for close quarters. It is the same exact 50. BMG and fires the same rounds , but has the 25" shorty barrel. Now I know the thing is a sniper rifle and isnt designed for clearing rooms!!
I was just saying even as a "sniper" in a close quarters urban type environment a shorty barrel would make moving quickly through buildings etc.. much easier and thats all I meant. If the shorter barrel does sacrafice any accuracy it's probably not even that evident until you get out to really long ranges and thus it doesnt matter since in an urban environment chances are it will be closer ranges and thus the shorter barrel doesnt really negativly effect it.

Maybe they should make a bullpup style with a shorty barrell and some big 25 rd mags for CQB, in a bullpup it would be reall compact and easier to hold on to for multiple shots and just think how lethal that would be!

Now they do make a .50 beowulf conversion for AR15s, Alexander Arms makes it to be exact and they market it as an "Entry Gun" but its not even close to a .50BMG. It converts an AR15 to .50 similair to the .50 AE or even the newer .500 magnumand has more knockdown power than the standard .223. I've heard it has the same energy @ 100 yards as a 12ga 3" slug as the muzzle does
but not that much recoil, and the rounds can be used in standard AR mags with slightly modifed feed lips. There's also the Leitner-Wise .499 Titan, and the .458 SOCOM and now the .475 Tremor
rounds which are very similair to the Beowulf and seem promising. The Coast Gurard just ordered a bunch of LW Mini 50's since they have lots of hitting power in a small light package, but they also use Barrets to diable boats if need be, and I'm surfe the LW will have a similair role albit closer ranges. Now there the new 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel which are true rifle rounds and also look promising IMO. I really want to try the 6.8SPC.

This is the M82 CQ shorty

Standard length

[edit on 1-9-2006 by warpboost]

[edit on 1-9-2006 by warpboost]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost I've also read that since CA did or is making .50 BMGs illegal Barret is releasing a proprietary .416 round that is almost the same thing, but will be legal

The rumor is that Barrett wanted to send a huge FU to California over its .50BMG ban by introducing a smaller caliber that is even more powerful - say hello to the Barrett .416

www.barrettrifles.com...

The truth of course is that this new round makes a lot of sense - it stays supersonic past 2500 yards, how many other calibers demonstrate that kind of performance (answer - not much short of a 20mm).

All that retained extra velocity means a flatter shooting round that retains more energy because of its superior ballistic coefficient, it also has a much flatter trajectory and is less susceptible to wind drift.

We can only hope that .416 Barrett catches on as a serious caliber.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I live in the fine state of Georgia, and I was just curious as if I have to have a certain liscense to purchase such a massive, gorgeous weapon.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ford Farmer
I live in the fine state of Georgia, and I was just curious as if I have to have a certain liscense to purchase such a massive, gorgeous weapon.

AFAIK you just need about $7500 plus some optics
, and its the same process as buying any other rifle or shotgun. they are also fairly expensive to feed at $2-3 a round

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by longbow

That is one of the most dumb ass answers I heard in a while. HELLO BUNGHOLE, ITS STILL A .50!!!!!! Weaker ammo for the CQ huh?.......... you truly are a tool man. Riddle me this ass clown, what ammo does both the M82A1 and M82A1CQ shoot?............. THE SAME #!!!!!

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by longbow

You cant be serious man are you? Riddle me this bud, what kind of ammo does the M82A1 and M82A1CQ shoot?....... THE SAME STUFF!!!!! I got a M82A1CQ and I have shot the same ammo out of it as the M2 machine gun does. Where did you read this at?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join