It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new vehicle that makes the Humvee look like a girls car.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Link

It can stop a bullet from an AK-47, shrug off a roadside bomb, and it makes a Hummer look like a chick car.

The $200,000 (U.S.) Gurkha is coming to a road near you — thanks to a King City-based company that is finding itself in demand because of the global war on terror.

"They are pretty awesome machines," says William Whyte, owner of Armet Armored Vehicles Inc., the company that builds the Gurkha. "We've been stopped on roads with people taking pictures and wanting to know what they are."

The Gurkha can go more than 150 kilometres per hour — plenty fast for a military vehicle — and is the highest level of protection you can get next to sitting in a tank, Whyte says. It certainly looks fierce enough.

The squat 8,620 kilogram vehicle looks every bit the ticked-off hedgehog, bristling with testosterone and armour plating.

Whyte says the first 40 have been built this year for delivery to the Canadian and the American military in the Middle East. The first civilian delivery is for a "well-known personality" in California that will take place next month, Whyte says. The customer, who is a friend of California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, intends to use it as daily transport, Whyte says. "It's a very California mentality to have the biggest and the best."

www.aavi.com...

Another link to the official site.

So what you think of this new vehicle? Think it should replace the current armored Humvees, or let DARPA handle with making a new armored vehicle replacement for the Humvees. It could be that this is a quick efficient solution to dealing with the threats of small arms fire and IEDs in Iraq, than it is to wait for a new replacement that could take a few years and would result in more unnecessary casualties because we have to wait. It sure looks like a tough bastard compare to the Humvees.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
pretty sweet, good find

I do think these should be rolled out to our men and women overseas.
They REALLY need them.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Still too soft for Hot Zones in Iraq..
Improvement over humvee? Sure
But still i'd like to see it fitted with atleast 3 independent MGs mounts, window covers, nets to stop IEDs and a proper dozers in front to make sure it can move freely...

Is there anything that makes this superior to 1950's armoured cars?

More importantly what US-Army needs is a to make sure soft vehicles stay out of fighting, if you can't quarantee a free supply route, use APC;s to haul the stuff...

[edit on 28-8-2006 by northwolf]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
More importantly what US-Army needs is a to make sure soft vehicles stay out of fighting, if you can't quarantee a free supply route, use APC;s to haul the stuff...

We have the Strykers, however its far expensive, and we cannot replace every Humvee for a Stryker, no doubt its possible to do it and something we wish we could have.

And also remember that sometimes armored vehicles like the Humvees are meant for not to alienate the population by looking big, bad and evil looking using Bradleys and Abrams tanks. Can't always use those vehicles to patrol in urban areas at all times.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I personally think that they kinda look like the cars out of JP: the lost world eh?

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by marcopolo
I personally think that they kinda look like the cars out of JP: the lost world eh?

Always prepare for any possibilities.
Who knows what happens in the future...

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'm going to agree with Northwolf...needs a proper dozer blade. I know that I certainly wouldn't mind having one to drive, except for the brutal gas bills.

DE

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Let´s not forget that this seems to be a "value" offer at US$200.000 per unit. At that price I sincerely doubt that it would offer decisive better performance compared to the uparmored HMMWVs, apart from it being a dedicated armored vehicle from the start and thus erases some of the problems the HMMWVs have concerning the armor angles and increased suspension and chassis stress.

From the VISUAL impression it especially seems to lack the amout of mine protection that has become common with light trucks in the ~10t class; this is also not mentioned in their "Ballistics" section of the website. That landmines and dug in IEDs are among the most dangerous threats for such "patrol vehicles" is apparent with the experiences from Iraq or AStan.

Other nations have alredy reacted and introduced heavily armored vehicles in the ~10t class to close the gap between the lighter offroad vehicles and APCs like the Stryker. Here are two pictures from german DINGO vehicles:

Light AT mine (suspected around 9kg), 2 wounded from the exlosive acceleration, but none killed and cabin not penetrated.

Suicide car bomb, 2 passers-by killed, only bruises on the soldiers (note the remote weapon station and the strong V-shaped bottom deflector).

Price for this vehicle in the basic version is ~600.000€, can be ordered in larger or specialized variants and with protection against directional mines and ballistic protection against 12,7mm Russian, gross weight 9-14t and road range from 700-1000km. Personally I think that a similar performance would be an absolute necessity for a real gain over the HMMWVs, and I don´t see a rather small $200.000 vehicle accomplish that.

Nevertheless, does anyone have further information about this "Ghurka"?

Still too soft for Hot Zones in Iraq...

But still i'd like to see it fitted with atleast 3 independent MGs mounts, window covers, nets to stop IEDs and a proper dozers in front to make sure it can move freely...

Certainly too soft for hot zones, but even with increased use of APCs in such "hot zones" there are enough situations where a smaller armored vehicle would be more feasible. Let´s not forget that Iraq has an extraordinary large and active resistance and thus is not representative.

3 MG mounts? I think the fact that the vast majority of military vehicles (short of tanks) of the past 100 years never had more than one weapon station is proof that such armament would not be justified. Maybe in a convoy protection variant, but not "general issue".

Dozer blades are a nice idea, but I doubt these vehicles have enough performance reserves to make efficient use of them.

What please is an "IED net"?

Is there anything that makes this superior to 1950's armoured cars?

Probably it has a cigarette lighter

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

And also remember that sometimes armored vehicles like the Humvees are meant for not to alienate the population by looking big, bad and evil looking using Bradleys and Abrams tanks. Can't always use those vehicles to patrol in urban areas at all times.

I never much understood this philosophy. Building a vehicle designed to "keep the peace" to look as non-threatening as possible seems counterintuitive. If I'm putting military trucks somewhere I'm worried about getting shot at, I want a design that says "shoot me and I shoot back." Part of peacekeeping is convincing "the bad guys" they don't want to start anything, and the more dangerous you look the better that works.

Besides, Humvees are already a well established symbol of military force. They might not clank around on catterpillar drives, but they're still clearly military vehicles that, and they're not going to blend into traffic any better than a Stryker would. That's why people like Schwarzenager buy them.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
pretty bad@ss looking vehicle...id drive it

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Lonestar
It's a typo, i was suppose to type RPG Net

A Net that detonates shaped charges off the vehicles skin.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Different terminology I guess but you're referring to slat armor right?

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I might want one for my morning commute.

But only if it came with a Ma Deuce in that cupola up top

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Westpoint
Not exactly same desing, but works the same.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Westpoint
Not exactly same desing, but works the same.

What kind of design you looking for? From what country?

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Nothing you'd find online, just something our APC drivers scetched while i served in FDF, lets just say it's a combo of steel netfence and aluminium pipes and would cost about 50 bucks a vehicle

The stryker armor would do the same but it's just a bit more heavier and expensive solution

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Nice vehicle, but if you really want something innovative look at this:

ULTRA AP

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
What about this?? it's got a big bucket to clear the road, heavly armoured and solid.

Heavy Wheeled Tractor

Fully Armoured and blast proof Cab & Superstructure,Imac Armoured Bucket, Imac Armoured mine clearance dozer blade, Imac Quick Release System 17 ton lift, Spare wheel , Rear view Camera , Aircon, Safe Load indicator,60 Hours only

Engine:

Body Type: Wheeled Tractor

Tyre Size:

Date in Service: 2001

Mileage From:

Hours From: 60 Hours

Condition From: Ex Reserve Unissued

Guide Price From: £225,000 (excluding UK VAT)

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hyacinth
What about this?? it's got a big bucket to clear the road, heavly armoured and solid.

"Militarized" construction equipment is something I have always pictured as having great value. Bulldozers belong at the top of the list: plow up IEDs, dig a position for troops or a tank, create or knock down obstacles. Israel's given the concept a bad public image/reputation... but while they're not exactly celebrity vehicles like HUMMER they are incedibly usefull.

Good suggestion!

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
That dozer is kind a "girly" if compared to some israeli vehicles

Like Armoured D9 and D10

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join