It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DUP attacks UUP 'Maze hypocrisy'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   

The DUP has attacked the Ulster Unionist Party for being "absolutely hypocritical" over the issue of a museum on the former Maze prison site.

DUP MP Jeffrey Donaldson said his party had consistently opposed any museum "or memorial to the hunger strikers".

news.bbc.co.uk...

Well, I believe that the memoral towards the hunger strikers should be given the go-ahead. Young Irish men gave up their lives for political status inside prison. I am certain, that if the hunger strikers where protestant, Jeffrey Donaldson won't be able to get it up quick enough!

mod edit:
Quote Reference (review link)
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ** (review link)

[edit on 28-8-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I saw 'hypocrisy' and 'DUP' in the title and found it hard to get past that.
Sorry.

Considering their on/off/on deals they're making at the moment (with people they claim they won't even speak to - er, directly - of course) the word 'hypocrisy' is one I'd have thought the DUP would have quietly dropped from the lexicon, considering.

Hypocritical bunch of fools that they are.

Memorial at the Maze?
I can't really see why this historical event and the associated deaths can't be recognised in some respectful memorial way that doesn't upset everybody (excepting of course those who will always be upset at anything to do with 'the other side').
I reckon it doesn't have to, if people really and genuinely don't want it to, of course.

Maybe there should be something on the site that recognises the large numbers incarcerated from both communities and something separate and respectful to mark the deaths in question.
I always liked the idea of a small museum there effectively one for all concerned.
Then there will be those who will make a mountain out of the question of parity of esteem and where this stops I suppose.....what if a memorial is called for to mark where Billy Wright was shot to death etc etc?

(I think the last thing this place 'needs' is yet another marching/rallying point).

.....there's little point in complaining about wee Jeff (the DUP's very own Daniel O'Donnel look alike), of course he's as biased and bigotted as any of them, the only funny thing about him and his ilk is that they really think they're kidding anyone and that anyone thinks otherwise - oh, that and their overdone faux outrage they fake when it's pointed out to them.

[edit on 29-8-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

new topics

join