It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"G" - God, Geometry or _ _ _

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I truly believe that the G stands for Geometry. Everything in the Masonic rituals goes back to it.

What facts or proof is there to say what it stands for or is it for the individual to find for himself?

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
In the analogous world of freemasonry, where God is described as the Great Architect of the Universe, it can mean both. I have certainly seen it used interchangeably by masonic authors.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I would recommend a small book by Dr. Paul Foster Case called "The Masonic Letter G". Brother Case points out that it is primarily the letter of Geometry, and refutes Mackey's argument that it should be replaced with the Hebrew Yod.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
the G stands for Gnostic.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I believe the "G" stands for Diety.

The "G" represents "Gnosis" or the spiritual knowledge of God. The "G" also represents Geometry, which can be defined as the scientific knowledge of God. Both are aspects of Diety.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
God, Geometry, Gnosis.. no matter how you spell it.. it equals the same thing.. Good, The importance of the G isnt it what word it stands for, but in the G itself. the 7th letter, besides the multitudes of significant aspects of both G and 7 that i know all of you are aware of, 7 from a numerological standpoint is the number seeking answers.

A quick quote from a numerology book from my library "7 seeks answers. It tries to establish a philosophy by which to live and attempts to penetrate the mystery behind it's existance which it has never questions to this point"

Doesnt that sound alot like the ideal spirit of the masons efforts? to seek answers, and to establish a philosophy that allows one to penetrate and contemplate the mysteries of existance?

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The "G" lecture that is delivered to a newly passed Fellowcraft is quite clear as to the dual meaning of the letter "G" specifically as to it's prominence in the "East."

It isn't "gnostic."

Fellowcraft Monkeys, not just for the first and noblest of sciences anymore...

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
It isn't "gnostic."

Yes it is, along with Geometry, God, Grand Demiurge Architect, etc.

Albert Pike wrote that it is so; and Masonic Light, if I remember correctly, would back me up on this.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu
Albert Pike wrote that it is so; and Masonic Light, if I remember correctly, would back me up on this.

Here's one of the fundimental issues within our order: the differing experiences of brothers.

One of the concordant rites (not blue lodge masonry) suggests that the G should also stand for 'Gnosticism'. Pike and ML, and many other masons as well, have experienced this.

But at the same time, many have not, and that meaning is not part of the blue lodge 'curriculum'.

Think of it this way: there is nothing stopping me from writing a rite that describes the G as standing for 'Popsicles'. That doesn't make it mean that to masonry, even if a number of brothers suffer through my ritual.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
G means God but also refers to that sacred science "Geometry" which is the beginning of all the sciences for without Geometry you cannot have the other sciences or even art forms listed in the 2nd degree.

Basically it harkens to a time when Geometry was a religious thing, and almost divine.

Descant for instance was a Geometrician.

Today Geometry is overlooked because it is taught almost as early as 2+2 = 4 however Geometry was the first math written down and began logic.

So the connection between it and the heavens is significant as Geometry for instance provides the "Golden Ratio" and etc.

In a way, Geometry is the understanding of God.

But the G means God but refers also to Geometry. That is the understanding you should or ought to take from it but not the ONLY understanding there is to have.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hobbes

One of the concordant rites (not blue lodge masonry) suggests that the G should also stand for 'Gnosticism'. Pike and ML, and many other masons as well, have experienced this.

But at the same time, many have not, and that meaning is not part of the blue lodge 'curriculum'.

In the Scottish Rite version of the Second Degree, it is said that the G represents Gnosis, as well as Geometry, and indicates that Gnosis and Geometry can in fact be viewed as synonyms. However, this interpretation does not derive from antiquity, and is obviously a modern (post-1720) addition to the system.
The Scottish Rite versions of the Blue Lodge degrees are very interesting, but unfortunately are not well-known, as practically every Mason in the US was raised in the Blue Lodges of the York Rite.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Har...stirring the pot, Bro. Cory, or seeking other perspectives?

It is an interesting thing that the letter "G" does not start the spelling of the word for G-d in so many other languages.

What does that mean to you? It means there's far more digging than what appears at the surface to me.

BTW...good to see you in other places...

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

Originally posted by Hobbes

In the Scottish Rite version of the Second Degree, it is said that the G represents Gnosis, as well as Geometry, and indicates that Gnosis and Geometry can in fact be viewed as synonyms. However, this interpretation does not derive from antiquity, and is obviously a modern (post-1720) addition to the system.
The Scottish Rite versions of the Blue Lodge degrees are very interesting, but unfortunately are not well-known, as practically every Mason in the US was raised in the Blue Lodges of the York Rite.

I don't think I'd want to have been raised in a lodge which introduces such a (for lack of a better word) retarded concept as Gnosticism and Geometry being the same.

Gnosticism historically was a fringe group of Christians that had some pretty crazy ideas (and were not the only philosophers of their time).

Geometry gave rise to logic and reason, I see no real correlation anymore than Socrates is a "Gnostic" being a true statement.

I personally think G means Gonads (This is a joke, things are too serious here).

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damocles357
Har...stirring the pot, Bro. Cory, or seeking other perspectives?

It is an interesting thing that the letter "G" does not start the spelling of the word for G-d in so many other languages.

What does that mean to you? It means there's far more digging than what appears at the surface to me.

BTW...good to see you in other places...

Ah my good friend. Indeed I am trying to stir up some discussions and see what others think.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Funkydung
the G stands for Gnostic.

I remember reading about this description ..

I thought the compass and right-angle tool could be used to display a "delimitation of knowledge, or gnosticism". They draw out our finite gnostic area? Need to know basis... Maybe it's reading too much into it! lol

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stratrf_Rus

I don't think I'd want to have been raised in a lodge which introduces such a (for lack of a better word) retarded concept as Gnosticism and Geometry being the same.

It doesn't. The Scottish Rite version of the Fellow Craft degree says that one meaning of the Letter G is Gnosis, not Gnosticism. Of course, the word "Gnosticism" comes from "Gnosis", but Gnosis means enlightened knowledge, and does not necessarily refer to the later Gnostic Christian sects.

Practically all of the Greek philosophers constantly alluded to Gnosis, centuries before the Gnostic sects were founded. In this sense, Socrates, as well as Pythagoras, Plato, Aristotle, etc., were keepers of the Gnosis (not only as Philosophers, but also as Initiates).

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The Letter G is not only a symbol behind a symbol, it is also hieroglyphic!

www.geocities.com...

The above website has a few words about the letter G.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratrf_Rus

Nothing of the sort is ever alleged... Even when it suggested that the G stand for both Geometry and God, it is not suggested that God and Geometry are one and the same.

Gnosticism historically was a fringe group of Christians that had some pretty crazy ideas (and were not the only philosophers of their time).

Um, that's a truly odd and inaccurate way of describing the concept through history.

The idea of gnosticism exists within many religions. It is (to oversimplify it drastically) a pursuit of understanding in religion, rather than blind following. Not all that crazy, put that way, eh?

top topics

join