It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the US going to make the same mistake with Muslims like it did with Blacks?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 03:38 AM
link   
The US has a long history of institutionalized racism against Black people. Of course, the US has made tremendous bounds towards equality and acceptance, but the aftermath has been devastating.

In Black cities and towns, the police are not trusted (the majority does not co-operate) and if the Black community is involved, jury nullification is often a by-product.

The recent terrorist scare in the UK, the war on liquids, was initiated by a Muslim woman, who notified authorities about fellow Muslims, who were acting suspiciously.

It seems that in the US, there are dark shades of racism and xenophobia, not from the government, but by the beckoning of its citizens, that will push Muslim-Americans to withdrawal into their communities.

Will the US lose its main source of intelligence against radical Muslims? That source being normal Muslims, by vilifying them as the US has done with Blacks in the past? Forcing them into an 'us against them' mentality?

Or will the US take this opportunity to maintain good relations with Muslims communities to foster co-operation, and will the US citizens let them?

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I agree with your thesis, except with one slight change: 'Is the West going to make the same mistake...?'

As I understand it, Arab Muslims have been angry with us (the US, England, France, etc) since the Allies gave Palestine to the Jews. Therefore, we, the West, have been pissing them off since 1947. More specifically, we, the US, have been arming their enemy. The mistake has already been made.

I'm sure I've said this before, somewhere else in ATSland, but, I've thought about it, and I've surmised that, whenever the US, or 'the West', comes into contact with other people, they totally disregard the wishes of those other people. I don't have to give examples, we all know what happened to the Native Americans.

So, at the end of the day, when those other people get fed up, and they start rebelling, and our governments need intelligence, not too many people are going to rush to volunteer I would assume. Why should they offer information? The concerns of the Arab Muslim community have been known for decades. No one ever listened to them then, when the problem could have been avoided.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Curme. Your basic premise is, if I understand it correctly, the United States is in danger of instituting some form of racism against Muslims in general as policy?

Other than isolated instances I've not heard of any thing even resembling a general policy of bigotry towards Muslims. Nothing that hasn't been shot down in flames almost immediately by courts, anyway.

There are too many people, myself amongst them, who would never support such a move towards a general institutionalization of racist policy, such as existed in many places prior to the civil rights movement. The protests would be loud and long, and rightfully so obviously.

join