It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Kind of Liberal Are You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Ok, first off I'd like to just say that there is no link to some stupid
quiz or soemthing like that, I say this since the thread title makes
me think of that kind of thing.

Over the last few years, and the last six months especially, I've noticed,
or atleast devoted more attention to the fact that the nation is becoming
polarized to such a point, that it seems there can only be two types of
people, Far Left/Democrat and Far Right/Republican.

This of course bothers me immensly seeing as the majoirty of people in
this nation don't fit into these definitions, true enough there is a noticable
split with Democratic/Liberla voters and Republican/Conservative voters.

This polarization has started to lead to the ruining of careers of those
politicians that are moderates, and not believers in the ideologies of the
far direction of there respective parties.

Anyways, this got me to thinking, just where along the line does a person
whom is liberal fit if they don't follow everything that the major part of
the party does.

For instance, I myself am a Liberal, but I agree with more conservative
opinions on a few things, primarily the illegal immigration problem.

Because of this people have based me on one opinion before and just
assumed everything about me on the one opinion they here.

Examples for both leanings being thusly;

In my government class I stated my opinions on what should be done
about illegal immigration, and that I supported the second ammendment
right (to bear arms), and I was than accused of being a close minded
conservative.

In my Social Issues class I stated my opinions on gay marriage and
abortion, and I was immediately labeled as a liberal commy, I kid you not,
I was actually called that by a 17 year old.

Anyways, because of this polarization far to many people have started
making opinions about people without knowing hardly enough to even
start doing so.

So, to help enlighten any members, and non-member readers that a
Liberal can have some conservative opinions/beliefs, I ask you, my fellow
self described liberals this, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being scarily leftist,
what would you rate yourself...That's a joke by the way.

What I really am interested in seeing is the opinions of others on this,
and where you stand, do you supprt Liberalism/Democratic party regardless,
or are you more moderate.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
*BuMp*

What, no takers?

Jeesh, I spend 20 minutes making a quality thread and
no one seems to care about the issue.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
That's a tough question.

In most respects, I would consider myself a far-left liberal. I'm pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, separation of church and state, etc. But like you, there are a few conservative issues I side with.

Like illegal immigration, gun ownership rights, and I'm against affirmative action.

But since I side with the democrats (and even Green Party) most of the time...

I'd have to say I'm probably a 7 or an 8.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I would have to say that I am an 8 out of 10 on the Liberal Scale. When it comes down to some issues, I speak my opinions, but I don't force them on people like others do. There are some issues that I am straight down the middle on. If someone does not agree with my views, that's fine with me. Just don't make it a personal attack on what I believe in.

I do have a stand point on abortion, and it's one that everyone should think about. That is, what if the childbirth poses a risk to the mother or the child? Is it ok then to literally make the mother or the child suffer through the birth? A stand point like what most people take on it, I look at it as immoral. I really don't have an opinion on gay marriage or gay rights. Since the Episcopalians elected a gay priest, I've looked at it like no place is immune, not even a house of worship. I support the Constitution and the Second Amendment like all Americans should be doing now. Some people in this country today, including the ones in the White House, have forgotten what beliefs this country was founded on.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Excellent post Iori, I'm giving you a WATS. Too many people immediately assume that because you call yourself a Liberal or a Conservative, that they know all about how you vote. That's just plain ignorant. I don't think I've ever met anyone who is strictly one or the other when it comes down to the real issues.

I'd call myself a far left liberal, always have been. I'm pro-choice, anti-death penalty and for gay marriage. But the most important thing to me is that our elected officials take seriously their oath to defend the Constituiton. I've left the Dem party, they don't seem to stand for much of anything any more and have misplaced their backbone. If I were to join a party, it would probably be the Constitutionalist party. I think our Constitution is a brilliant and sacred work and if we just follow that, we'd have alot less divisiveness and a much better govt. If someone like Barry Goldwater ran for prez, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat, way before any of the present Dems. He wasn't afraid to tell it like it was and to give 'em hell when need be. I don't like Hilary or Kerry. We Libs have been known for our enforcement of human rights, but not any more. (How did civil rights become a bad thing BTW?)

But nothing makes me so angry as when someone posts an opinion and someone else immediately jumps on it and calls that the poster is liberal or conservative and rails against the other party, as in Liberals "have no values", "have no religion" or "have sex with 12 people and a donkey (I've actually seen all of thes posted on ATS) or as in all Conservatives being religious. People are far more complex than that, well most are. All it does is to further divide Americans, get them angry with each other, and then no one listens to anyone and no one learns anything new from a good political debate. Resorting to name-calling instead of carefully putting forth a good political argument means that no one wins, everyone loses and it's also showing very poor debate skills.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
As with most people, I hope I don't fit into a predefined catagory.

On most social issues; I am content to mind my own business.

If anyone sees the need to interject themselves in my business; I am well armed.

Politically, I feel the liberal wing has MY best intrest in mind and not the mega corps as the right wing seems to favor.

On the death penality, eye for an eye, if there is absolute evidence.

Abortion; legal and rare and safe.

My conservative side favors smaller govt. and fiscal responsibility.

I am still a registered republican but I don't know for how long as this current band of neo-cons seems to have only the big companys welfare as a concern and the little companys like mine and entrepeaneurs are left twisting in the wind. Higher gas prices gobbled up my $5o. tax refund real fast.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
My political stance differs from issue to issue.
I have what would be considered Liberal stance when it comes to social issues. I dont care what people do just as long as it dosnt effect me. Im also pro choice.
When It comes to other issues such as taxation and defence spending I have more of a conservative stance.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I consider myself a Liberal because i'm pro-choice on EVERYTHING.

If you have the butt to pay for it, than by all means give the world a show!

You pay ,one way or the other, for everything you do. If you want to rob a bank, you will spend a long time behind bars. If you want an abortion, you will have guilt afterwards, If you want to help the world and do what is right (as best you can) you will reap the benifits of that as well.

I guess that would make me pretty darn Liberal

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Great post, Iori!

What kind of Liberal am I? I love what Wupy said!

Originally posted by mrwupy
I consider myself a Liberal because i'm pro-choice on EVERYTHING.

My views are pretty extreme, but not all to the 'liberal' side. Many of my views are very conservative. I don't support a party and voted for both Democrats and Republicans in this last election. It all depends on the issue.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I am a pro free-trade Liberal. I am pro-drugs legalisation and pro-prostitution legalisation. I am pro free-movement of people. I am pro government investment in the arts. I am opposed to most conservatives attitudes which attempt to legislate according to morality and not to reason.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Surprising as some may find it I'm essentially liberal minded, especially when it comes to lifestyle and social issues. Where I bay for blood along with the best of the rednecks is on the issue of crime, particularly violent and anti social crime which I believe will never be brought under control as long as we make excuses for the acts. Harsh punative accountability and an element of fear of the consequences should exist. By all means strive to improve the conditions of the disadvantaged but punish those who cross the line and make the laws primary concern about protecting society.

And I'm not so sure that conservatives are the only ones who legislate on matters of morality, the extremist liberals seem pretty keen to change things based on theirskewed ideas of right and wrong too.

[edit on 31-7-2007 by ubermunche]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I consider myself a moderate with progressive or liberal tendencies. Basically, I agree with everything Ron Paul has to say about anything.

join