It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

creature that lives for 300years

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArtemisFowl
i heard of those on animal planet arent they supposed to hibernate in extreme conditions like space and they can live really long in hibernation
water bears rule

Well, they don't so much hibernate as they die and can come
back to life.
A water-bear could theoretically survive a century trip unprotected
through space.
All they need is some water and they can come back to life.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   

www.awi-bremerhaven.de... m-e.html

For Stylocordyla borealis – the Antarctic lollypop sponge – we calculated a maximum age of 150 years. The slower growing Cinachyra antarctica may reach 1550 years of age. Average sized rossellid sponges which are 30 - 40 centimetres high are at least 300 years old. And the gigantic 2 metres high specimen documented for the Ross Sea is more than ten-thousand years old and hence the oldest creature known on this planet - a couple of times the age of Methuselah, the biblical patriarch who is said to have lived 969 years. It seems, that within an animal group preconditions for maximized body size are low and stable temperatures together with maximized oxygen availability and minimized metabolic rates.

Is this possibly what they were talking about?

~~~~~~~~
Mod Edit - added 'ex' tags

[edit on 31-8-2006 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
i'm sure trees live for a long time, but 300 year old animals...

what sort of purpose would such an obscene lifespan serve?

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well, being a Christian, I've gotta mention this.

Adam lived to be 930 years old.
Seth lived to be 912.
Enos lived to be 905.
Cainan lived to be 910.
Mahalaleel lived to be 895.
Jared lived to be 962.
Enoch lived to be 365.
Methuselah lived to be 969.
Lamech lived to be 777.

At one time, all nine of these generations were alive and well. I would list more, but I think you guys get the point.

Anyway, I think that Discovery is probably talking about the sponges that were mention earlier. 300 years, that's crazy for something alive today!

Peace,
Void

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Well it is true in the future humans will problly live the longest if not Extinct yet by Asdroid etc...due to being able to Bioengineer our life span as we can already bioengineer Flys etc...like their eyes, they made one with them all over their body.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voidmaster
Well, being a Christian, I've gotta mention this.

Adam lived to be 930 years old.
Seth lived to be 912.
Enos lived to be 905.
Cainan lived to be 910.
Mahalaleel lived to be 895.
Jared lived to be 962.
Enoch lived to be 365.
Methuselah lived to be 969.
Lamech lived to be 777.

At one time, all nine of these generations were alive and well. I would list more, but I think you guys get the point.

Anyway, I think that Discovery is probably talking about the sponges that were mention earlier. 300 years, that's crazy for something alive today!

Peace,
Void

the bible isn't the best place to reference in the crypto forum, void.

anyway, a creature living to 300 would most likely only have 1 MAYBE two offspring, if it had anymore it would overpopulate, run out of food, and go extinct

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The Geoduck can live 150 years according to the Discovery Channel's Mike Rowe. They were featured on Dirty Jobs

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Tree's are worlds oldest creatures they can live beyong 3000 years old second to tree's are clams oldest recorded clam was 405 years old.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Voidmaster

That list is full of reasons to ignore the bible's insane ramblings. Thanks for the heads-up.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ATSGUY

Hi guys here is a list of some lifespan!!

MAMMALS YEARS

Elephant 69
Horse 50
Hippopotamus 49
Chimpanzee 40
Grizzly Bear 32
Bison 30
Lion 30
Tiger 25
Elk 22
Mountain Lion 20
Beaver 19
Wolf 16
Squirrel 16
Chipmunk 12
Cottontail 10
House Mouse 4

BIRDS YEARS

Turkey Buzzard 118
Swan 102
Parrot 80
Great Horned Owl 68
Eagle 55
English Sparrow 23
Canary 22
Humming Bird 8

FISH YEARS

Catfish 60
Eel 55
Carp 47
Mosquitofish 2

REPTILES YEARS

Giant Tortoise 152
Box Turtle 123
Alligator 68
Snapping Turtle 57
Cobra 28
Cottonmouth 21
AMPHIBIANS YEARS

Giant Salamander 55
Toad 36
Bullfrog 30
Mud Puppy 23
Green Frog 10
Newt 7

INSECTS YEARS

Cicada 17
Ant (queen) 15

www.wonderquest.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

link
clam up!

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
bah so what long ago in Atlantans times so were talking a few 1000 years here humans could live well past 300

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I think the program you are talking about was discussing the Tardigrade (Water Bears), as was already mentioned. They are able to suspend their metabolism, which allows them to basically die, but then "return to life" at a later date.

You can read about them here.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The worlds oldest Tortoise.

The oldest tortoise ever recorded, indeed the oldest individual animal ever recorded, was Tui Malila, who was presented to the Tongan royal family by the British explorer Captain Cook shortly after its birth in 1777. Tui Malila remained in the care of the Tongan royal family until its death by natural causes on May 19, 1965. This means that upon its death, Tui Malila was 188 years old, a figure that gives it the title of oldest Cheloniinae (tortoise or turtle) ever recorded.

Source

Im pretty sure this has been surpassed, but for a creature so big this has to be amazing, it actually saw part of history as it happened.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I saw one show on Discoery during shark week they were in the arctic trying to find one of only 2 i believe arctic sharks and i think they had said that they can live to be around 300 years old.. i may be mistaken though.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
its a squid but is seldom seen

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Found several:
A type of jellyfish called Turritopsis nutricula, immortal:
8e.devbio.com...

A type of clam living off the coast of Iceland, called Arctica islandica, commonly known as the ocean quahog, 440 years:
www.foxnews.com...

Deep-sea Leiopathes black corals and Gerardia gold corals, off the coast of Hawaii, over 1,000:
deepseanews.com...

The oldest land animal on record: the Tongan royal family's Madagascar Radiator Tortoise named Tui Malila, presented to them by Captain Cook, died at 188:
www.extremescience.com...

The oldest land animal still alive: the Galapagos Tortoise named Jonathan, 176:
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Oldest living organism: 250 million year-old bacteria from Carlsbad, New Mexico:
www.extremescience.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonChild02

Just for kicks, the jellyfish is debatable. It reproduces asexually and is able to revert to infantile form from adult form. So technically it's not immortal, it regenerates itself. The DNA stays the same, but it also stays the same when a new jellyfish larvae is created.

Oh, and coral.
Coral is actually made of calcium deposits of numerous cnidarian organisms.
So it's a community organism, made of individual organisms. The community survives for a long time, but individual organisms die. That's how the coral grows.

[edit on 6/2/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   

The Aspen tree (Populus tremuloides) forms large stands of genetically identical trees (technically, stems) connected by a single underground root system. These trees form through root sprouts coming off an original parent tree, though the root system may not remain a single unit in all specimens. The largest known fully-connected Aspen is a grove in Utah nicknamed Pando, and some experts call it the largest organism in the world, by mass or volume. It covers 0.43 km² (106 acres) and is estimated to weigh 6,600 short tons (6,000 t).

A giant fungus of the species Armillaria ostoyae (honey mushrooms) in the Malheur National Forest in Oregon was found to span 8.9 km² (2,200 acres)[4], which would make it the largest organism by area. Whether or not this is an actual individual organism, however, is disputed: some tests have indicated that they have the same genetic makeup,[5] but unless its mycelium is fully connected, it is a clonal colony of numerous smaller individuals. Another clonal colony that rivals the Armillaria and the Populus colonies in size is a strand of the giant marine plant, Posidonia oceanica, discovered in the Mediterranean Sea near the Balearic Islands. It covers a band roughly 8 km (4.3 miles) in length.

quotes from wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org...

how old are these organisms ?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Armillaria a type of fungi found it the Pacific Northwest is the largest and oldest living thing on earth. 2,200 Acres and over 2,400 years old or possible older! Mushrooms FTW!

[edit on 3-6-2009 by sourdiesel] Booo SS beat me to it

[edit on 3-6-2009 by sourdiesel]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join