It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

49 Die in Comair Crash in Lexington, Ky.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
49 people were killed when Comair Flight 5191 crashed just beyond the runway during takeoff at 6:07a.m. in Lexington Ky..One person survived (repotedly a crew member) and was in critical condition. It wasn't immediately clear what the cause of the crash was. So far there are no indications that terrorism was involved. The flight was a commuter flight from Lexington to Atlanta. One thing they are looking into is if the plane took off from the wrong runway

www.comcast.net
LEXINGTON, Ky. - A commuter jet taking off for Atlanta crashed just past the runway and burst into flames, killing 49 people before dawn Sunday and leaving the lone survivor in critical condition.

Comair Flight 5191, a CRJ-200 regional jet, crashed at 6:07 a.m., said Kathleen Bergen, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

It wasn't immediately clear what caused the plane to crash in a field just beyond Lexington's Blue Grass Airport. The plane was largely intact, and authorities said rescuers were able to get one of the three crew members out alive, but the county coroner described a devastating fire following the impact.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Comair is a subsidiary of Delta Airines. It was reported that all maintenance records show the plane had routine maintenance "just as recently as Saturday".

The plane was a CJR-200 which is a 50 passenger plane plus crew, it was purchased in January 2001, and is made by the Canadian company, Bombadier. The plane had 14,500 hours of flight time which is average for a plane of its age.

The coroner said most of the deaths will be fire related due to the fact that the plane was taking off full of fuel. Comair President Don Bornhorst said his company is "committed to do everything possible to determine the cause of the accident.

Related News Links:
www.comair.com
en.wikipedia.org

[edit on 27/8/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
CNN is saying the plane was taking off from the wrong runway. And that the runway they took off from was intended for general aviaion and too short for airliners.

It's a terrible thing. I'd hate to be that crew member that survived, it's going to be an awful feeling when they tell him all his passengers died.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I would think if it was the wrong runway the plane took off from it would also be because a controller in the tower wasn't doing his job correctly. I do believe that whenever a plane is within so many miles of an airport or on the ground at an airport, they (the air traffic controllers in the tower), more or less are in command/control of the plane and the pilots are just the "drivers".

If the pilot did line up on the wrong runway for take off, somebody in the tower could have directed him there, or, if the pilot just happened to go to the wrong runway I would think it would be the towers job to catch that mistake and correct it. That's what the contol towers are there for, to control the planes so that accidents like this don't happen at airports.

I'm not a pilot or anything, so I may be wrong.

Found a link and some info about ground controllers responsibilities in the towers at the airports:

US Dept. of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Air Traffic Controlers

Once the plane has landed, a ground controller in the tower directs it along the taxiways to its assigned gate. The ground controller usually works entirely by sight, but may use radar if visibility is very poor.

The procedure is reversed for departures. The ground controller directs the plane to the proper runway. The local controller then informs the pilot about conditions at the airport, such as weather, speed and direction of wind, and visibility. The local controller also issues runway clearance for the pilot to take off. Once in the air, the plane is guided out of the airport’s airspace by the departure controller.

I think they will find an air traffic controller was at fault here since the plane took off from a runway that was too short.

[edit on 27/8/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Keyhole, landing on the wrong runway is not uncommon (or landing the wrong way on the right runway, as the plane in which I was riding did one time--even with an experienced pilot!), or landing at the wrong airport! Here is a good read for wrong airport landings by commercial aircraft.
www.thirdamendment.com...

I remember a Florida landing which was the butt of pilots' jokes; that wrong airport landing was funny but thankfully safe.

new topics

top topics

join