It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plane crash in Kentucky

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Shots
Seems rather strange they would keep the media from getting near the actual site within visual range.

I thought so to, until it dawned on me that one of the reports said that it crashed within a mile of the airport on airport property.

I think that airport "air space "is restricted along all flight paths by SOP. Could that be one reason there are no helicopters, etc.?

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
This may be due to this kinda of plane to crash like this is odd,

they may have to keep people back in case its terror related,

True. The media is speculating big time from fires to micro bursts about what caused it and local officials (police) are saying very little.

One good thing is they are now reporting one survivor, hopefully there will be more.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Agreed.

CNN TV just reported that they were wrong. There is one survivor.

I think it said that they are at the Kentucky University Hospital now.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
A couple of things. I live 20 miles south of lexington and have been watching the local news since i got up.

They say there is one survivor in critical condition and it's either the copilot or pilot.
THey say the plane is pretty much intact and that there was a bad fire on board.
They think the wreck was caused due to the pilot taking off on a short runway that wasn't supposed to, it was not lighted, and they think he hit a bump along with not having enough room to take off and it clipped a tree right after it got off the ground and wrecked a mile or so away. I don't think this is still on airport property answer someone elses question. One reason I blieve media isn't around is the cops are having to hall in ATV's to get to the site. Also, the FAA is still not made it in. This is all i know for now.

You can goto www.lex18.com or www.wkyt.com

I will let you all know if they say more on the channel itself.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
Agreed.

CNN TV just reported that they were wrong. There is one survivor.

I think it said that they are at the Kentucky University Hospital now.

That's University of Kentucky (UK Wildcats)

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Thanks wildcat1979

Im sure you mahy here info before us,

Some are saying that they felt there house shake when the plane hit,

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I thought so to, until it dawned on me that one of the reports said that it crashed within a mile of the airport on airport property.

The plane took off at 6 and crashed at 607 therefore I doubt it was on airport property and just as I typed property CNN reported the plane actually crashed on private property.

There is also some speculation where they are thinking it might have taken off from the wrong runway (unconfirmed). They are also stating that runway would have been too short and was unlighted and had some concrete problems reported recently..

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
There were some moderate storms passing through the area around then. I wouldn't rule out weather as a factor. Could have been a lightning strike.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
there saying that the plane is pretty intact,

thats odd i think??

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Not really... Smaller planes tend to stay intact when downed, especially if the pilot was still in controll at the time of impact. Also, since they were only a mile downrange from the airport, they couldn't have had a terrible amount of altitude.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
There is also some speculation where they are thinking it might have taken off from the wrong runway (unconfirmed). They are also stating that runway would have been too short and was unlighted and had some concrete problems reported recently.

If they took off from the wrong runway, then ATC is to blame as well. They should have seen the plane at the wrong location. Of course, this is provided the airport has ATC. As for the runway being too short, that is entirely possible. Or the plane could have just been overloaded. While unlighted runways can be a pain, the aircraft would have had high-intensity landing lights allowing them to see thier path on the ground.

Does anyone know the name of the airport? I haven't been able to find that and I would much appreciate somebody mentioning it. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Bluegrass Airport, Keen.

[edit: to add]

I haven't seen/heard anything about wrong direction or runway.

As for the condition of the runway, they have mentioned that it was completely resurfaced recently.

COMAIR briefing on CNN @ 10:00 a.m.

[edit on 8/27/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Replace the underscores with .'s if you want information.
www_bluegrassairport_com

[edit on 8/27/2006 by bothered]

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was Bluegrass or one of the smaller airports in the area.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Here is the runway info.

Blue Grass Airport covers 911 acres and has two runways:

Runway 04/22: 7,003 x 150 ft. (2,135 x 46 m), Surface: Asphalt
Runway 08/26: 3,500 x 75 ft. (1,067 x 23 m), Surface: Asphalt/Concrete

www.answers.com...

Which one is too short?

Both had been under construction recently as I understand it.

www.bluegrassairport.com...
www.wkyt.com...
www.kentucky.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Weight distribution could be a key part of this disaster. I worked for Delta and boarded these kind of airplanes frequently. The weight had to be distributed very carefuly.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Here is the runway info.

Blue Grass Airport covers 911 acres and has two runways:

Runway 04/22: 7,003 x 150 ft. (2,135 x 46 m), Surface: Asphalt
Runway 08/26: 3,500 x 75 ft. (1,067 x 23 m), Surface: Asphalt/Concrete

www.answers.com...

Which one is too short?

Both had been under construction recently as I understand it.

www.bluegrassairport.com...
www.wkyt.com...
www.kentucky.com...

3500 feet onew was the one that was too short. They repaved the main runway but said the other runway had some issues with concrete or something. Some of the speculation as you see in most above is they hit a bump combined with not enough room for take off. All on the local news but speculation still at this point.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
There were some moderate storms passing through the area around then. I wouldn't rule out weather as a factor. Could have been a lightning strike.

It was not raining in lexinton when this happen. It rained shortly after but no strong storms that included lightning and thunder. Just watched our loacal weather they were going over there data. And I live 20 miles south and we got the same rain and that's all it was was rain.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Airnav airport info reports that the concrete runway is severely cracked. I dont know the timeframe of the report.

Runway 8/26
Dimensions: 3500 x 75 ft. / 1067 x 23 m
Surface: asphalt/concrete, in poor condition
CONC IS SEVERELY CRACKED.

Weight bearing capacity: Single wheel: 12500 lbs

www.airnav.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I doubt that it was a lightning strike, but it could have been a microburst. A CRJ-100 needs 5800 feet at MTOW, so if they were full, which it sounds like (the 100 holds 50 people), he may have had enough runway to get airborne, but not enough speed to stay up or climb high enough to avoid trees if he used the short runway (3500 feet).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join