It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran test fires submarine to surface missile

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
you posted:

"and nuke boats will allways be noisier than diesel boats."

Are you sure about this????

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by darksided
From what I have gathered it appears to be a Klub.

I want to retract that statement. I watched a higher quality video of the launch today, and it looks to me to be a C-801 varient.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Anyone know how difficult it is to find a Kilo class submarine in the PG when they have to come to the surface and snort??

Seems to me ..especially with a diesel class boat...you take out their pier/drydock facilities and then wait for them to snort if you cant find them by other means.

Sooner or later they have to come up and snort to charge batteries. Not complicated to think it through.

Most of the usable deep water parts of the PG are not that large...most of it is shallow water ..to shallow for a U boat or even large deep draft tankers.

Something for some of you to think about.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Klub missiles have ranges in excess of 200 km and this was under a mile..
Why would a submarine launched missile have a range of a mile?

The Iranian kilos aren't operational as of today I think. Those Russian upgrades never took place.

Orangetom:
Here are released specs of type 877EKM kilos (Iran has the same model) by the
Indian Navy:

Maximum Speed: Surfaced; 10 knots.
.......................Snorting; 9 knots.
.......................Dived; 17 knots.

Maximum Range: 6000 miles at 7 knots snorting.
.......................400 miles at 3 knots dived.

Complement: 52 (incl. 13 Officers).

Endurance at Sea: 45 days.

Assuming the Iranian Kilos are operational, 400 miles is a lot distance. It looks like teh C-801 types whcih can be fired from the Song Class SSKs in PLAN if i'm not mistaken?

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
THank you for the specs on the Kilo class submarines.

I just finished the updated version of Tom Clancys book "Submarine" and the Kilo among other boats is mentioned in this book along with the specs.

I do know that there is certain misinformations in this book so I dont put much stock in Tom Clancys books for info and data...specifics. His rough outlines are ok..but for specifics ...I wouldnt put much stock in him.

I read this book years ago..but apparently a updated version has come out..today.

Thanks again for the specifications.
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
oh sure..
no problems..
the specs are off a site on the net free for anyone who would want to see..
nothing novel

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I don't have a link for this but I was watching a news program and the reporter said US Intel officials were saying to him that they could not confirm Iran's claims and this footage, they said it could be stock footage from China.

Anyone have more info on this?

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I don't have a link for this but I was watching a news program and the reporter said US Intel officials were saying to him that they could not confirm Iran's claims and this footage, they said it could be stock footage from China.

Anyone have more info on this?

Fox news made mention of it this morning. Iran's footage is apparently indistinguishable from a Chinese test.

However, I was only about three sips into my first cup of coffee, so take this with as many grains of salt as you like.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
great news

if Iran truely can shut down the golf and attack US war ship fasters this is great deffence for their country

one more reason the US should put its happy trigger finger away and stop with the threats of force on Iran,

You mean the Iran that denies the Holocaust, publicly states that Israel should be "wiped off the map", and chants "Death to America" at every political rally - THAT Iran. Or do you mean the Iran that supports international terrorism, is developing nuclear weapons grade material, and wages war on its neighbors.

I can only hope that the international community can do something about those rabid anti-semites, this isn't just about the USA - everybody needs to see the threat that these Islamo-Fascists pose to the entire Free World.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
the kilo is very silent but our 688i's and seawolfs/virginia's r deadly silent in my humble opinion 3 kilos firing "Cruise missles" at a U.S. Battle group would be pretty stupid none of the vamps would get through any usns ageis CG/DG, if they did lets just hope CIWS radar is on unlike the mistake israel made oh...here is some good info on kilos

[url]http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/877.htm

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
You mean the Iran that denies the Holocaust, publicly states that Israel should be "wiped off the map", and chants "Death to America" at every political rally - THAT Iran. Or do you mean the Iran that supports international terrorism, is developing nuclear weapons grade material, and wages war on its neighbors.

I can only hope that the international community can do something about those rabid anti-semites, this isn't just about the USA - everybody needs to see the threat that these Islamo-Fascists pose to the entire Free World.

why is it i find my self repeating my self on almost all Iran topics?

1, The united states is the largest sponosor of terrorists mostly AQ who are responsible for almost all attacks,

2. last time i checked he wants to wipe the zionests regieme from the map of the map not jews,

3. looking through this forum doesnt supprise me with the amount of people that chant nuke/attack Iran.

4. i hope everyone sees the threat the bush administration is to the world and the threat he poses to world peace

5. Iran has never waged war in offence only in deffence which was against Iraq which was supported and sanctioned by (u got it) the USA
6. last of all last time i checked hazbullah are only seen as a terrorist org by Israel/US and few other countries

give me proof they are developing NUKES apart from asumptions

[edit on 2-9-2006 by bodrul]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
1. I need to remind most of the posters that this buisness of terrorism of the type we see today has been going on of which I know ..since the late 1960s and into the 1970s and was not begun or sponsored by the United States.
THe United states did not sponsor what happened to the Hebrews at the Munich Olympics in 1972 though this was one of the more dramatic events which had already been building up in the previous years.
Neither did the United States sponsor what happened to Leon Klinghoffer the wheel chair bound American on the ocean liner Achille Lauro in 1985.
Your position Bodrul in line #1 is very common and effective against those peoples who dont know much history.

2. Wipe out Zionists verses jews...not jews??? This explains the increase in attacks against synogogues world wide..much of which is not being reported in the news media. This also explains the killing of that fellow Theo Van Gogh...in a religion of peace.?? Once again..many of us Amereican have short memorys and attention spans.

3.As to Nuke Iran..I dont recommend this road for anyone against anyone...once it starts it will be like a genie let out of a bottle...very difficult to put back in and seal up the bottle. Once again..many Americans do not have long memorys or even long attention spans. To much emotional programming with the attention spans they do have.

4. As to the Bush administration and it's threat...I strongly suggest again as per my line #1 that this has been going on for a long time and tending twords the point you see today. It has been going on and mishandled by many administrations before this one and has brought us to the situation today. Not just this administration. It is very popular for the purposes of politics and seduction to put everything back somewhere in a time warp...back in history and not bring events up to this day...but just stick it back in time somewhere for the purposes of placing blame. This is a very popular technique in the whore of which politics is today....the blame game. It is also very cheap politics...for votes.
This "time warp " technique is also becoming very popular by foreign nations to influence this country for thier positions in politics.

Also ..I wouldnt give you two cents for the concept of World Peace. This is one of the biggest rip offs of anyone anytime anywhere....even by our own ignorant politicians. THere has never been any long term Peace in the history of this world..in the hands of intelligent logical reasonable men..ever.!! Any read of mankinds history of men..will clear this up. Men are just natural losers when it comes to World Peace.
Some people just watch to much Star Trek and Star Wars rubbish to the point they believe in this rubbish like World Peace. THe wholesale ineptness of the United Nations should clear this up immediately...as was the case with the League of Nations before them.

5. Iran is waging defacto war against many nations ...through its sponsorship of arming many groups. This is known information..as applies to Syria too. Syria is not affluent enough to arm all these groups by themselves. They must have help and aide. Common sense.

6. Hezbollah..is overtaking the government of Lebanon by default..by proxy...if not eventually by actual revolution or seduction..by civil war or other means. Terror is the poor mans way of waging war...as is anarchy. History is replete with this history in many nations ..not just Hezbollah. YOu have to read some history to find this out ..not just work a remote controller.
This has been going on in Lebanon for some time now...most Americans dont know merely because of ...once again ..short attention spans.

As to Iran acquiring nuclear weapons....this is laughable..

Iran has more than enough oil to keep themselves going for hundreds of years. They do not need nuclear power for energy. Common sense...unless you watch the news and listen to the radio without any grasp of events or history.

Iran for the forseeable future does not need nuclear power for its energy needs.
No college/rocket scientist material needed here.

What other needs are there for refining nuclear grade fuel???

Please people..think past your emotions and past the next sound bite.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

1. I need to remind most of the posters that this buisness of terrorism of the type we see today has been going on of which I know ..since the late 1960s and into the 1970s and was not begun or sponsored by the United States.
THe United states did not sponsor what happened to the Hebrews at the Munich Olympics in 1972 though this was one of the more dramatic events which had already been building up in the previous years.
Neither did the United States sponsor what happened to Leon Klinghoffer the wheel chair bound American on the ocean liner Achille Lauro in 1985.
Your position Bodrul in line #1 is very common and effective against those peoples who dont know much history.

America sponsers it's own terroism in Latin America in the past.

America has also terrorized muslims in Iran before the first Islamic terrorist from Iran even existed.

Remember the Islamic revolution happened in 1979 and America and it's CIA agents where bombing muslims since 1953 :

Iranians working for the C.I.A. and posing as Communists harassed religious leaders and staged the bombing of one cleric's home in a campaign to turn the country's Islamic religious community against Mossadegh's government.

www.nytimes.com...

So there is the proof that America and it's terrorist orginisation the CIA have been bombing the muslims and there property and attacking them before the Iranian muslims even layed one finger on a American or even knew what America was.

America was the first to use terrorism against Iran.

2. Wipe out Zionists verses jews...not jews??? This explains the increase in attacks against synogogues world wide..much of which is not being reported in the news media. This also explains the killing of that fellow Theo Van Gogh...in a religion of peace.?? Once again..many of us Amereican have short memorys and attention spans.

Jews kill people as well when it suits them. The only difference is the media will never talk about it for even 1 second on air this gives jews an innocent appearence in public while they are no better then al-qeada or hamas who they the jews like to condem.

Lets take a look at jewish terrorism :

www.doublestandards.org...
thewebfairy.com...
www.redress.btinternet.co.uk...

Also lets look at a recent planned jewish terrorist attack in America which also recived no media time on FOX, CNN or any other channel :

Jewish militant faces bomb trial

A militant Jewish activist is to stand trial for an alleged plot to bomb a Los Angeles mosque and the office of an Arab-American congressman.

news.bbc.co.uk...

You would think that somebody trying to kill an American congressmen would recive some air time but no since the terrorist with the explosives where jewish the media let it slide.

These are just a handfull of examples.

Iran has more than enough oil to keep themselves going for hundreds of years. They do not need nuclear power for energy. Common sense...unless you watch the news and listen to the radio without any grasp of events or history.

Iran for the forseeable future does not need nuclear power for its energy needs.

Iran does not have hundreds of years worth of oil the maximum amout they have and this is from non-Iranian sources as well states there oil will last no longer then 120 years max at the current and projected oil demands of the world with growing supply needs from places such as India, Japan and China.

Also the Iranians themselves reitterated this many times as well :

Iran may run out of oil in 90
yearswww.gasandoil.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
well said igonx couldnt have said it better my self

saved me the trouble of having to write a long reply (which sucks on a laptop)

Oil is a natural resource which is getting more diplited as the years go past,
as more nations grow in econemy and size of population so does the consumption of this resource which in turn will have a inpact on the oil reserves of their suppliers,

Iran going nuclear means they can consume less of their natural resources and in turn increase what they have of their oil for exports,

they have the reasouces for nuclear power and damn in hell should exploit that,
insted of havinbg to relly on others for the security of their energy in the future.

get ur head out of the cloud and look around u not everything is black and white and use ur common sense

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
There is no oil shortage.. There is a fixed pricing mechanism...creating this shortage. Oil is a rigged market. Just like diamonds.

The problem is and always has been limiting the supply against inflated currencys and political mechanisms.

THe problem has and still is keeping independents from unfixing the markets.

This was Saddam Husseins crime..not killing Kurds or WMDs but conducting himself as a independent by the oil for food deal. Saddam was selling oil as a independent lowering the overall price in the world markets....by lowering demand.
If we truely want lower oil prices we need to put Saddam back in power and allow him to conduct himself as a independent in the oil market.

Saddam's first mistake was taking Kuwait. This was a rigged deal with the large oil companys and the profits were decided and divided long ago. This was a deal made years and years back before Saddam even came to power by large oil companys and the Royal Houses of this country Kuwait......as it was with all the Mid Eastern countrys.

This has nothing to do with how big or little a bastard Saddam was...His bastardization came when he decided to act and conduct himself in the oil buisness as a independent. Independents in the diamond or even the drug buisness are not allowed. Independents tend to undercut the price of oil..drugs...diamonds or any other commodity ..even capital.

Oil like all of these is a rigged market.

The problem with the Iranians is they are trying for their bid at power..to be a independent. This angle is not being told in the news by any of the networks. It is the only angle that counts. They want a little respect ...and will stir the pot to get it. The average American hasnt a clue about this ...behind thier remote controllers and steering wheels. And the media and politicians will not clue them in either.

There are two large sources of oil in the mid east which still have undeveloped potential...not fully developed like Saudi Arabia. Those sources are Iraq and Iran.
All other nations dont have sources as large....that we publically know about.

The problem is how to keep these sources out of others hands and off the market until they are needed for certain nations or capital...how to keep this oil off the market and out of the hands of independents or unpredictable/uncontrollable governments.

As to the Jews or Zionists...I am well aware that Israel is not really the "Friend " of the United States. I am aware that the Jews and Muslims are decended from Semitic stock. Debatable in places.. They both tend in thier radical forms to extremes. I put no stock in either of them.
I am also aware of the origins of the IDF or Israeli Defense Forces and the groups from which they sprung.
I also know that Menachem Begin started in one of these pre IDF groups and that his group was responsible for the bombing of the King David Hotel when the British were using it to house thier officer corps. These pre IDF groups were mainly gangs ..criminal gangs.
You two offer me nothing new here in your explanations.

I do not believe that the Israel of today is the rebirth of the nation of Ancient Israel...it is nothing like it. I do however believe that by the ancient tradition of conquest that the Israelis have a right to the land...by right of conquest. They have fought five or six wars to keep it...and been victorious.
I do not believe that the Israelis have a biblical right to this land we today call Israel....none....but only by right of conquest. That is all they have. They will have to fight to the end to keep it. This is obvious to me. This is also why I mentioned the Sampson Complex.
This is also why I put no stock in Zionists..for I know what the deal was with the Balfour Declaration and the British White Paper.

It has been obvious to me that within certain limits this country ..the United States has Israel on a string..and uses this leverage when needed. This is obvious to me by the pulling out of Lebanon...recently. Tremendous leverage was exerted by this country to accomplish this end.

I am not entirely sure that this whole Lebanon conflict was not a ruse to detect for intelligence purposes ...exactly how the Iranian and Syrian governments will conduct themselves in the coming war. In otherwords a intelligence ploy to ferrit out how these militarys/governments work or dont work. And Israel did our bidding in this. Most Americans havent a clue that the real war has not started. How about those Redskins...American Idol..etc etc ..et al. TAke my wife and kids..dont take my ESPN!!!

For the record ..I put little stock in how the Israelis or the Muslims work. I dont entirely trust any of them. Nor do I trust what is coming out of the news media.

I put little stock in the olde gray lady in New York ..nor do I put stock in the BBC either. Nor do I put much stock in what comes out of the White House or congress..no matter what party is in office..they will all lie and deceive the public when needed.

For Israel ...just like certain Muslim nations America is a necessary evil. I am not deceived by the standard party lines.

There are no good guys in this ..not Muslims ..not Israelis..not the USA. None.

Nothing new here in history..nothing. Even the ignorance of the average American..nothing new here.

No good guys here..they are all bad guys..even us...!!

Thanks,
Orangetom.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   
~Rescuing thread from a political tarpit~

Ok I've looked up those Song Class subs I had talked about earlier, and sinodefence says that they can fire the YJ-8 antiship missile:

The Type 039 is said to be capable of firing YJ-8 active radar-homing anti-ship missiles from its torpedo tubes while submerged. The missile flies at a speed of Mach 0.9 over a distance of 40~80km to deliver a 165kg high explosive warhead.

Although in a thread about the chinese naval fleet, the author(chinawhite) states that the Song class is capable of firnig C-80X(1/2/3) anti-ship missiles, and he may have got his info from other sources.
Either ways both these missiles (YJ-8 & C-80X series) are in the possesion of Iran if I am not mistaken.

But here's the real twist:

On the same page is a link to a picture of a Song Class firing the YJ-8 while being submerged. Now at first glance one would say that the pic looks pretty similar to pic(s) posted earlier in this thread showing the Iranian launch.

Chinese launch Picture
Great!.. so they could be YJ-8s or C-80Xs fired from subs fitted with the same chinese tech.
But on closer scrutiny, IMHO, it looks EXACTLY like those Iranian pics linked from an Iranian news agency!!

The surface launch back-plume is remarkably similar and although there are 2 missiles in one shot, we al know how easy it is to do that..

Now the real question is :

1) Either those are definitely the same missiles (YJ-8/C-80Xs) and Iranian subs (other than the kilo?: Nahang and another one?) have been fitted to carry the same

OR somethin more sinister!!

2) The images/videos are exactly the same!!

Now my question is are the launch characteristics of a particular sub launched missile really that similar? Because I have never seen a live launch and sure as hell haven't seen two to compare!

Compare the two.. even the surroundings look similar. This was also posted by someone else before I think ; i.e. the copying of chinese launch videos..

Iranian launch Pic:

Originally posted by proprog
this is the picture posted on the iranian semi-official news agency FarsNews of IRIN subs launching Sub-to-surface missiles

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
U ppl can debate iranian weapon authinticity,terrorism,ancient muslim,semitic hostility.blatant anti-americanism etc,etc.But do remember 1 thing.This country has vowed 2 keep the shipping lanes open no matter what or who tries 2 block them.This has been the 1 constant foreign policy theme for decades.Any attempt 2 do so would be tantamount 2 war as oil runs the entire economy.Btw,put money on usn.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
~Rescuing thread from a political tarpit~

Ok I've looked up those Song Class subs I had talked about earlier, and sinodefence says that they can fire the YJ-8 antiship missile:

The Type 039 is said to be capable of firing YJ-8 active radar-homing anti-ship missiles from its torpedo tubes while submerged. The missile flies at a speed of Mach 0.9 over a distance of 40~80km to deliver a 165kg high explosive warhead.

Although in a thread about the chinese naval fleet, the author(chinawhite) states that the Song class is capable of firnig C-80X(1/2/3) anti-ship missiles, and he may have got his info from other sources.
Either ways both these missiles (YJ-8 & C-80X series) are in the possesion of Iran if I am not mistaken.

But here's the real twist:

On the same page is a link to a picture of a Song Class firing the YJ-8 while being submerged. Now at first glance one would say that the pic looks pretty similar to pic(s) posted earlier in this thread showing the Iranian launch.

Chinese launch Picture
Great!.. so they could be YJ-8s or C-80Xs fired from subs fitted with the same chinese tech.
But on closer scrutiny, IMHO, it looks EXACTLY like those Iranian pics linked from an Iranian news agency!!

The surface launch back-plume is remarkably similar and although there are 2 missiles in one shot, we al know how easy it is to do that..

Now the real question is :

1) Either those are definitely the same missiles (YJ-8/C-80Xs) and Iranian subs (other than the kilo?: Nahang and another one?) have been fitted to carry the same

OR somethin more sinister!!

2) The images/videos are exactly the same!!

Now my question is are the launch characteristics of a particular sub launched missile really that similar? Because I have never seen a live launch and sure as hell haven't seen two to compare!

Compare the two.. even the surroundings look similar. This was also posted by someone else before I think ; i.e. the copying of chinese launch videos..

Iranian launch Pic:

Originally posted by proprog
this is the picture posted on the iranian semi-official news agency FarsNews of IRIN subs launching Sub-to-surface missiles

I don't think it's the same launch, and I do think it's most likely C-802. The picture may well be a stock photo rather than a live photo but that wouldn't be unusual. The amount of times I've seen footage on Western news channels supposedly showing one thing when I can tell just from general knowledge of military equipment that it must be stock footage. A made up example might be on an article on how British Jaguars are deploying to Afghanistan - accompanied by pictures of Tornados taking off. My point is that the credibility of the story does not rest on the picture.

So the next question is "is it believable that Iran has sub launched anti-ship missiles?" - obviously yes. And they probably would be C-802s. The only unusual thing is that China isn't reported to have C-802s on it's Kilos, instead having the generally regarded as much better Klub. I guess Western Navies will be glad if Iran chooses the locally manufacturable C-802 over the Klub.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by planeman
the amount of times I've seen footage on Western news channels supposedly showing one thing when I can tell just from general knowledge of military equipment that it must be stock footage.

That's because the US media, when it come to military systems, has very little specific knowledge. But I though this was the state run media of Iran?

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by planeman
So the next question is "is it believable that Iran has sub launched anti-ship missiles?" - obviously yes. And they probably would be C-802s. The only unusual thing is that China isn't reported to have C-802s on it's Kilos, instead having the generally regarded as much better Klub. I guess Western Navies will be glad if Iran chooses the locally manufacturable C-802 over the Klub.

Right..
Like I said they(PLAN) have the YJ-8 missiles on the Song class subs which are reportedly replaced by C-801/2/3 missiles.
Has anyone ever compared the 'newer-indigenous' subs of the IRIN to the Song Class Type 39G of the PLAN?
The Iranian Kilos are still unoperational IMHO..

Also this bit about a 'submarine to surface launched missile' obviously means an anti-ship missile and no land attack capabilities right?

[edit on 4-9-2006 by Daedalus3]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join