It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran test fires submarine to surface missile

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
tvnz.co.nz...

Along with its other arms advances, it now seems that they have a submarine to surface missile system - bad news for any carrier battle group trying to protect shipping in the area.

I just hope the USA / UK /Israel has enough hunter killer subs in the area to stop them from shutting up the gulf region full stop.

A very thinly disguised threat was hidden in these new 'look what we can do' war games...

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
great news

if Iran truely can shut down the golf and attack US war ship fasters this is great deffence for their country

one more reason the US should put its happy trigger finger away and stop with the threats of force on Iran,

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Yah oo! News

TEHRAN, Iran -
Iran test fired a new submarine-to-surface missile during war games in the Persian Gulf on Sunday, a show of military might amid a standoff with the West over its nuclear activities. A brief video clip showed the long-range missile, called Thaqeb, or Saturn, exiting the water and hitting a target on the water's surface within less than a mile. The test came as part of large-scale military exercises that began Aug. 19

The target was less than a mile away. So that really does not pose too much of a threat, as I doubt that Iranian subs could get within a mile of any American ship.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Yeah, it would be much more effective to use torpedo at such distance.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I read about this a while back. Iran was getting there Kilo class subs upgraded to be able to launch Klub-s Cruise missiles.

Modification of Iranian Kilo's :
www.sptimesrussia.com...

Klub-S
www.fas.org...

Also Iran has another missile Sub which i can't remember the name of but it is a mini-sub which is desined especially to patrol small area's near the coast/border of Iran and aslo has the capability to launch torpedo's and cruise missiles to take out enemy marine patrol boats and navy ships.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Isn't the Navy's 5th Fleet in that neck of the woods? I am sure that the US Navy can take out that sub very quickly with one of their own. That is my opinion since i'm not a bubblehead who would really know the facts on this type of warfare.

Also, if they launched a missle at something a mile away, why would they come that close to take it out? If they are planning on attacking a boat equipped with some type of anti-submarine weapons I feel that they would be dealt with before the missle gets fired. That is if the "mile away target" info is correct since I didn't read that in the above posted link an didn't find anything after a quick search on Yahoo.

Do they plan on taking out something else that is that close? I think an oil tanker is the only worthwhile target that wouldn't be able to take the sub out before getting attacked. Fishing boats and luxury yachts wouldn't be on a potential target list, so I don't think they would waste any time on those.

Do they plan on taking out any other country's oil tankers in order to maintain control of the market if some type of conflict were to happen? What would happen if this were to take place? Is this a threat to the other oil producing nations over there?

At least Iran is trying to show the world that it isn't totally incapable of some type of military action. It has done alot lately to show some type of military strength, but is it more for boosting the country's confidence, or to prove they got something to be worried about if attacked.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There is a base in Bahrain.
These subs are capable, but I question the experience and training of the crews.
Plus I doubt the export models have the best sensors.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
They might get off one or two shots.
I can't see them lasting for very long after that.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
rofl

and in an exercise , a british sub sank the carrier 6 times without being detected , tailed a 688 without being detetced.

its a BIG ocean and subs are small.

never underestimate a sub or its crew. ANY sub or its crew.

and nuke boats will allways be noisier than diesel boats.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Just what are we talking about here, a joke?
are we talking about top of the line tech weapons or or the weapons that are sold to rogue states.
Persian gulf if roughly 90,000 square miles and is mostly shallow. i never said the west was infallible, but if you call the Persian gulf the entire ocean then more power to you.
a couple of shots is a figure of speech, but mark my words, when they launch there will be no place to hide.
I think i know who will be laughing then...

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
So everybody knows, the American Military has been war gaming Iran attacking shipping in the SOH for about 25 years. Should the shooting start (and let's hope it doesn't) Iran won't hold any surprises for the US Navy.

America's defense budget is LARGER than Iran's GDP. The have no hope of defeating the US Navy, none. The last time Iran started shooting at SOH shipping, they lost nearly all of their navy in less than a week.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
These politically charged reactionary posts aren't helping with an objective review of Iran's growing military capabilities.

If anyone can get their hands on the video of the launch we can try to establish what type of missile it is - my guess is the sub-launched version of the Chinese C-802 which Iran already has in service. I doubt it's the Russian Klub missile but if it is, then that is a seriously capable system with a very real chance of getting through USN defences.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Planeman,
How many missiles and torpedos can Iran launch in a sinlge combined arms strike? (Subs, FACs, "destroyers", Fighters, Helos, Land based missiles)

I assume that in full scale saturation attack more than a few missiles will penetrate AEGIS "shield" and some will be able to go through phalanx... It will not detroy USN presense in the gulf, but will surely cause a lot of casualities... and Dead GIs are the best tools to defy USA...

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 02:20 AM
link   
this is the picture posted on the iranian semi-official news agency FarsNews of IRIN subs launching Sub-to-surface missiles

And here is the video:

www.iribnews.ir...

Enjoy!

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   
THe video shows two different type of submarines.

While I cannot speak Farsi I can see definitely two different types of submarines in the video.

Which one are they claiming fired the missle???

THe submarine with the guys standing on the deck in yellow life preservers and the flag waving...not going to happen.

Most of that is a PR type video.

Also looks like they are showing guys on deck with some kind of chemical/biological gear. What are they doing out there ..manning that gun???

Modern deck guns dont have anyone in them..they are automated. All doors on them are not for personel per se...they are for access for repairs. THere is no room for anyone in them.

THanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
I assume that in full scale saturation attack more than a few missiles will penetrate AEGIS "shield" and some will be able to go through phalanx... It will not detroy USN presense in the gulf, but will surely cause a lot of casualities... and Dead GIs are the best tools to defy USA...

I am not sure about current Iranian airforce and navy, but it doesnt seem stronger than in 80ties and in late 80ties US Navy defeated them without problems after they discovered they are mining Gulf. Only 2 helicopter pilots died, and not in combat.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
The target was less than a mile away. So that really does not pose too much of a threat, as I doubt that Iranian subs could get within a mile of any American ship.

if you watch the video, you could see that the missile was deliberately destroyed.

Thanx

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by proprog
this is the picture posted on the iranian semi-official news agency FarsNews of IRIN subs launching Sub-to-surface missiles

And here is the video:

www.iribnews.ir...

Enjoy!
Video no findy, please confirm URL,.

But going by the pick it doesn't look like I'd expect a C-803 to look like.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   
From what I have gathered it appears to be a Klub. There are indeed 2 different types of subs, one is a mini sub the other is a Kilo type.

While it is true the both the kilo and mini subs lack sophesticated sonar and are a bit more noisy than most submarines, it is also true they can afford to be. Anyone who knows a lick about sonar, and knows even less about the Persian Gulf knows it can be very, very difficult to locate a submarine in the Persian Gulf by sonar, and extreamly difficult if not impossible to locate a sub in the Strait of Hormuz by sonar.

The issue with the Persian Gulf is it is one of the warmest in Asia, and has an area of 232,850 km2, which stretches 930 km from the Arvandrood River to the Sea of Oman with an average width of 288 km. The average water depth is 38m, with a maximum of 280m. Water temperatures range between 12.3°C and 40°C, and salinity between 37 to 50 ppt.

This means visual ID becomes very difficult, sonar range is reduced due to shallow areas and water temp, and that doesn't even count for the enormous amount of shipping traffic, offshore drilling, and underwater pipelines that create noise issues throughout the Gulf. The currents are strong, and in the Strait of Hormuz, the water moves very fast and makes a lot of noise, making detection extreamly difficult.

These are many of the issues that has led to the development of new western anti-submarine technologies, specifically the kind you find on the new USVs and UUVs. Sensitivity of the sonar is also important, because the ability to compute out the background noise not only applies to littoral radar, but also in underwater sonars that can compute and filter out background noise and evaluate sounds across the sound spectrum.

BTW, while the great myth is the Sunburn is the all powerful missile, it really isn't, since it is a very limited weapon due to range, poor manueverability, and limited ecm with radar only homing. The Klub on the otherhand, is a true stealth weapon with a supersonic terminal impact system. It has advanced ecm, better range, and multiple ways of terminal homing. If indeed it is a Klub system, as several experts are speculating, this would give Iran a unique advantage against any other Middle Eastern nation in the Persian Gulf, and a legitimate OTH threat against any western nation operating in the Gulf.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Don't worry, the Persia Gulf is not adapted using submarine to fighting against surface warship. Even big as Baltic sea is too small to using subs, rather the Persia Gulf, the subs will no place to hide under the surface-air joint strike by aircraft carrier fighting groups.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join