It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CD drive not working at all!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
It was working fine a few days ago, I think, but I just got this nice new phone, and I tried to install the 'Motorola Phone Tools,' and my CD drive whizzed and whirred and nothing happened. When I look in My Computer, the drive is not listed!

So, I use XP troubleshooter to troubleshoot: does crap all . . . as usual.
In Device Manager, under the 'DVD/CD-ROM drives' there is an AOPEN COM5232/AAH PRO device with an explanation point in front of it.

Under 'Properties' is says 'A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)'

Now I know that there is only one CD drive connected to my comp, and the thing's got power and all that, and I just tested a CD that I know works, and it doesn't. I have no idea what's wrong. Any help??

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Where you have the drive listed in Device Manager, try right-click uninstall. Then reboot. When Windows finds the drive, have the disk that came with the CD drive ready to re-install the drivers.
If you don't have the disk, go to the drive manufacturer's website and download the drivers.
I would say the Motorola CD tried to install a new driver or something, or maybe re-id'd the drive.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   
watch_the_rocks,

It sounds like an Upper Filter/Lower Filter issue, to me. Try following the instructions from the link below. Afterwards restart your PC and all should be well.

support.microsoft.com...

CD-ROM access is missing and messages cite error code #

To manually delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values, follow these steps:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\[4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318]
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\[4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318]
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

* bold emphasis mine - delete ONLY the values themselves NOT the whole key

Restart your computer.

Hope this helps. If not let us know and we'll go from there.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Thanks for your support guys. But I think I just wrecked something. Instead of selecting the specific UpperFilters value I just selected the whole folder it was in and pressed delete. :shk:

Should I restart my comp to check that nothing is broken, or should I go and change something else? Ta.

:bash::bash:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Try the Troubleshhooting, in this case usually two hardwares are not too friendly with each other. Uninstall CD drive (or just disable it in BIOS), and try it again. XP users have usually gone through many computers in life, this shouldn't be a problem.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks Instead of selecting the specific UpperFilters value I just selected the whole folder it was in and pressed delete. :shk:

You could use system restore to get the registry key back, if your most recent resor point isn't too far back. IF you backed up your registry prior to doing this you could import the backup.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Hey, I dont even know what a registry is.

But I do know what system restore is. Ill give that a whizz.

edit: OK, comp restarted properly. Now I will PROPERLY follow those instructions. Let's see what happens . . .

[edit on 28/8/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Thanks 12m8keall2c that actually worked! Nothing ever works for me!

I have absolutely no idea what I actually did - and don't no-one dare try to explain it - but now my CD drive is appearing. More happy bananas are called for.

btw, none of that trouble shooting stuff worked. I tried all that, even from the right-hand click troubleshooter option.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
That looks like the driver that was installed with the Sony rootkit, maybe the CD for your new phone as some type of copy protection like the one used by Sony.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
^^^ That's a good point, ArMaP.

Many people have experienced the same scenario after having "improperly" removed the Sony rootkit, as it renders the drive unusable.

However, in most cases, if they do the Upper/Lower Filters fix it restores function to the drive.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Thanks 12m8keall2c that actually worked! Nothing ever works for me!

I have absolutely no idea what I actually did - and don't no-one dare try to explain it - but now my CD drive is appearing. More happy bananas are called for.

btw, none of that trouble shooting stuff worked. I tried all that, even from the right-hand click troubleshooter option.

top topics

join