It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pistol hunting?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I've been doing some searches on huntng and stumble upon Pistol hunting, I'm just wondering how many people here actually do pistol hunting and with what kind of Pistol? It seems to be quit challege to get close to a deer and pop it.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
The only hunting pistol I've ever used was a 30-06 cal one.
You don't have to get up close.
I think for me, I could hit about 200 yds out.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   
What kind pistol uses a 30-06? Did you do some type of mode?

[edit on 27-8-2006 by IspyU]

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Pistols have come along way since the 1940/50s. Pistol potential has also come along way with the advent of more people reloading. This has spurred manufacturing and development ...even in accordance with the expectations and ideas of the public.

.22 caliber pistols have always been available and some people hunt with them.
Particularly squirrel hunting. Scoped pistols of this type are quite common now days. Manufacturers have put alot of time and moneys into development here in new and more accurate designs.
I own a Ruger Government .22 long rifle pistol and this is a very accurate pistol for an out of the box pistol. Since this pistol has first been marketed Ruger has developed a whole line around his simple little .22 caliber product..improving considerably along the way. Same with Rugers rifles.
I am not pushing Ruger products as I own others by different manufacturers. I merely point out that dont discount the .22 caliber pistol for hunting in capable hands.

It is the same with the .357 magnum line of pistols which so many manufacturers offer. Many of these are excellent hunting pistols.

.41 magnum is a caliber offered originally to law enforcement but it never took...because of the substantial recoil. No question about its power abilitys. THis caliber did however take to alot of dedicated pistol hunters.

It is the same with the .44 magnum. Many pistol hunters use this caliber too.

THere are another breed of pistol hunters and target shooters who use single shot pistols..most of them chambered in rifle calibers. The Remington XP 100 series comes to mind..as a single shot bolt action pistols. THese pistols came originally in 10 inch barrels but now days also come in 14 inch barrels as well.
The Thompson Center manufacturers also offered pistols in ten and fourteen inch barrel lengths in both pistol calibers as well as rifle calibers. This line has been updated to what they call thie Encore line of pistols as well as rifles.
I own a Thompson Center Contender with two barrels ..one in .223 caliber and the other in .35 Remington. I dont hunt but I do target shoot with this pistol in both barrel types. THe .35 REmington is a very potent caliber either in a pistol or a rifle.
200 grains of rounded soft point bullet is alot of bullet. Alot of energy delivered.

Seems to me also that the Savage Arms company has entered this market for single shot pistols too. They have a line of pistols called the Striker series.

To my limited knowlege most handgun hunting is done with revolvers. .357 magnum caliber and up.

If you are good enough..to make the grade hunting with pistols...it seperates you from alot of hunters. It means alot of practice and knowing your weapon.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by IspyU
What kind pistol uses a 30-06? Did you do some type of mode?

[edit on 27-8-2006 by IspyU]

Something like:

www.tcarms.com...

Sorry about the download, it's big.
Remember to practice moral and ethical hunting. And above all, STAY SAFE.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I ran into this article www.castbullet.com... and i was amazed on how skillful this guy is with his .357 on whitetails. He mention how he never make his kill if his target is over 20 yrds

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Check your local state laws first, caliber floors and allowed weapons types vary from state to state. Small game hunting with .22LR pistols is generally accepted.

As for true handgun hunting, the rich and famous hunt Elephants with handguns chambered in .454 Casull, .500 S&W, and the various and astoundingly powerful Linebaugh calibers to name but a few.

If memory serves, a bull elephant was once taken with a .454 firing a hard cast slug in the 300gr range. the round went right through the skull and lodged a good 3 foot back into the animal near the top of the spine.

.454 is an incredible chambering.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I have to say that I think pistol hunting is rediculous. Pistols are suited only to shooting people. And they are also less safe especially if you are moving through undergrowth because the muzzle is likely to wave all over the place. If you are going to loose of bullets at defenseless animals, at least use a weapon better suited to the job such as a rifle or shotgun.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by planeman
I have to say that I think pistol hunting is rediculous (sic). Pistols are suited only to shooting people. And they are also less safe especially if you are moving through undergrowth because the muzzle is likely to wave all over the place. If you are going to loose of bullets at defenseless animals, at least use a weapon better suited to the job such as a rifle or shotgun.

Firstly, some pistols are more powerful than some rifles, see Thompson Contender pistols. It's also a lot more ethical to shoot a Coyote with a .357 revolver than it is to shoot a Moose with a .223 Rem.

As for "waving the muzzle around", you holster pistols when moving through brush, you can't holster a rifle or shotgun quite so readily. Much safer.

Using phrases like "loosing of (sic) bullets at defenseless animals" you come off as someone who doesn't agree with any form of hunting (English metropolitan maybe) and therefore any discussion on using handguns, bow hunting, black powder, centerfire rifle or anything else to hunt animals is pointless.

I'll tell you this, I feel more ethically secure eating a Venison steak from a wild deer that I shot, than eating a force fed chicken breast that came from a broiler farm.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
Firstly, some pistols are more powerful than some rifles, see Thompson Contender pistols. It's also a lot more ethical to shoot a Coyote with a .357 revolver than it is to shoot a Moose with a .223 Rem.

As for "waving the muzzle around", you holster pistols when moving through brush, you can't holster a rifle or shotgun quite so readily. Much safer.

Using phrases like "loosing of (sic) bullets at defenseless animals" you come off as someone who doesn't agree with any form of hunting (English metropolitan maybe) and therefore any discussion on using handguns, bow hunting, black powder, centerfire rifle or anything else to hunt animals is pointless.

I'll tell you this, I feel more ethically secure eating a Venison steak from a wild deer that I shot, than eating a force fed chicken breast that came from a broiler farm.
Well I can't be bothered to get into gun control type debates with avid gun fans. I am English, but I am rural and I am familiar with firearms. I don't agree with people hunting for the wrong reasons, inhumainly, irrisponsibly or over-hunting/endangered animals. Shoot it and eat it I'm Ok with. On a side point I don't trust most gun owners to meet my criterea for gun ownership.

But on the point of pistol suitibility, quoting rediculously oversized pistols is a joke. Ergonomically, if the pistol is bigger than a hunting rifle you'd need a stock and forestock = a hunting rifle.

You don't have to answer this, but ponder it for moment: Why do you really want to go hunting with a pistol as oposed to a rifle. Not excuses, the real reason.

Now don't take this the wrong way but in my experience people go a bit funny with pistols. You could say they're "fun" or "sexy/phalic" or maybe people imagine themselves as something they are not. All these are BAD reasons to be going hunting with a pistol.

Shooting a weapon is extrenmely dangerous and as a hunter (/firer) it is your ethical responsibility to know where the bullet is going before you pull the trigger. It is therefore irresponsible to chose a weapon that offers a lesser degree of accuracy than the alturnative.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
planeman, i wont even begin to rip into you about how wrong your posts are.

I hunt wild boar with my colt anaconda in very very thick brush. A rifle is not even an option in the terrain and surroundings i hunt in. And yes i eat my kills. so now what. The accuracy of my revolvers at range are second to none only due to my shooting skills which i visit the range at a minimum of 4-5 times a month.

Yes any screwball can own a handgun and wave it around like an idiot. but there are WAY MORE responsible gun owners out there than idiots. You dont hear about them because they dont shoot themselves, get arrested for stupidity or kill someone else with stray bullets. Hence the RESPONSIBLE SHOOTER label.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Here are some examples of handguns suitable for hunting.

www.gunsandammomag.com...

www.galleryofguns.com...

Chuck Hawks on Handgun Hunting:

www.chuckhawks.com...

Magnum Research:

www.magnumresearch.com...

Hawk Bullets:

www.hawkbullets.com...

Thompson Center:

www.tcarms.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0 but there are WAY MORE responsible gun owners out there than idiots.
That's a matter of opinion

Let's be fair here, you are a person who goes hunting wild boar with an oversized revolver. I promise not to crack any jokes about compensating... But are we really expecting you to say "Ok, I admit what I am doing is silly"? Of course not. Next you'll be telling me that you are a member of the NRA

Responsible gunowner = someone who never takes it out of the double padlocked bolted down gun case.

Shooting and hunting are HOBBIES. If you needed to hunt for food you would use a cheaper gun and hunt easier prey, or switch over to fishing and snares. So why do you go boar hunting in deep undergrowth?
a) To justify owning a silly-big pistol
b) Because I hate boars and like killing things
c) Because carrying a big pistol makes me feel empowered
d) Because hunting with a rifle is too easy
e) Because I imagine I'm some sort of special forces ninja dude
?????

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Well i can see that you just want to degrade to make yourself feel better. No i am not a member of the NRA.

And i provide for my family with the meat from that pig for a couple months. Sausage, ribs, porkchops, ground pork. Now an oversized revolver is your matter of opinion. If(and thats a big if) you ever went hunting(which i doubt you ever would). I would suggest a very large handgun for wild boar. They have some of the thickest hides in the animal kingdom and can rip you wide open with the 4" tusks protruding from there mouths. A pissed off boar(from a small caliber) is not only A. Dangerous to many of your extremities but also B. Cruel to the animal to make him suffer with multiple gunshots.

Since you know not what you speak i would suggest you stop breaking the T&C's of ATS and continue this discussion like an adult.

I hunt boar in thick underbrush because that is where wild boar rummage around here. I have in no way attacked you or your beliefs or hobbies but yet you seem to think it is ok to do it to me. I do fish when i need to restock my freezer with fish and i do hunt with a rifle when i want to replenish deer meat for my freezer.

I will not comment on the special forces ninja dude crack since i refuse to lower myself to your level.

Any other wisecrack towards me you would like dispelled?

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Responsible gunowner = someone who never takes it out of the double padlocked bolted down gun case.

So what would be the point in having a gun? It looks good?

I've never really been hunting with a pistol, don't care for it either. I'll stick to long guns. But if someone wants to...what's the big deal?

Some people like flying and get their kicks from doing aerials or just for recreation. Some people go skydiving, other SCUBA.....so what's the big deal if someone likes to hunt with a pistol?

I imagine it would take a little more skill being that you have to get a bit closer to the animal. I know a few people that have been hunting with pistols because they wanted change....something other than rifles and shotguns. I know a guy who used to rifle hunt for years then oneday decided to bow hunt and said he would never go back to rifles.....he get's more of a challenge from bows.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Browning Buckmark .22LR Scoped, for PDogs up to 100yds.

Ruger Single Six .17HMR Scoped, PDogs up to 300yds

And last, my Custom Built Ruger .44MAG Super Blackhawk with a 14 inch barrel, Scoped, good on quart oil cans at 400yds. Got a couple coyotes, and some foxes. As far as deer go I'd rather shoot them with a Minolta, than a pistol/rifle anyday.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Shooting and hunting are HOBBIES.

Shooting and hunting are sports, the participants of which can be either professional or amateur.

Next you'll be telling me that you are a member of the NRA

I'm a Benefactor Member of the NRA, a member of the NRA Golden Eagles and the Second Amendment Task Force. Want to make something of it.

I hope you live in Australia or England. If not, those would be suitable countries for you to reside.

Responsible Gun Owners

[edit on 2006/9/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
Well i can see that you just want to degrade to make yourself feel better. No i am not a member of the NRA.

And i provide for my family with the meat from that pig for a couple months. Sausage, ribs, porkchops, ground pork. Now an oversized revolver is your matter of opinion. If(and thats a big if) you ever went hunting(which i doubt you ever would). I would suggest a very large handgun for wild boar. They have some of the thickest hides in the animal kingdom and can rip you wide open with the 4" tusks protruding from there mouths. A pissed off boar(from a small caliber) is not only A. Dangerous to many of your extremities but also B. Cruel to the animal to make him suffer with multiple gunshots.

Since you know not what you speak i would suggest you stop breaking the T&C's of ATS and continue this discussion like an adult.

I hunt boar in thick underbrush because that is where wild boar rummage around here. I have in no way attacked you or your beliefs or hobbies but yet you seem to think it is ok to do it to me. I do fish when i need to restock my freezer with fish and i do hunt with a rifle when i want to replenish deer meat for my freezer.

I will not comment on the special forces ninja dude crack since i refuse to lower myself to your level.

Any other wisecrack towards me you would like dispelled?
Lol at a pistol owner getting all upetty when someone questions the merits and logic of their hobby. I can't see how you've dispelled anything either, and you still haven't answered WHY you hunt boar. Seriously, if you like the feeling of empowerment you should at least be honest with yourself if no one else.

Unless you are claiming that you need to hunt to survive which I think everyone here would find very hard to believe.

You are coming at this from a postion where you accept gun owbership and hunting with sod off great big pistols as "normal". It being the norm isn't good enough for me. Smoking was the norm, racism was the norm, slavery was the norm. The norm needs to be questioned. People need to be honest instead of hiding behind justifications and excuses.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'm a Benefactor Member of the NRA, a member of the NRA Golden Eagles and the Second Amendment Task Force. Want to make something of it.
Lol, that's very aggressive. What's the 'or what?' side - you gonna shoot me

This'll tiggle you; www.nra-kkk.org...

And re proffessional shooters, you mean soldiers right? lol, ok you mean people who compete proffessionally and/or work in the gun industry. Well it's still a hobby in my book. Going and shooting wild boar as a passtime is never a necessity. In the extremely rare cases where animals need to be shot for public safety or culling, there are proffessionals who can handle that - and it isn't why people go out into the woods with a large pistol down their trousers....

Ok, it's an observation that many American's are very verbally pro-guns. Pro-killing things, pro-shooting burglars, pro-carrying concealed guns whatever. So inevitably my take on pistol hunting is going to wind up a lot of people, just because they feel challenged/threatened whatever by someone standing here and saying "hey guys, hunting with a pistol is dumb". But that doesn't suddenly mean I shouldn't say what I think.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The basic reason we go pistol hunting in the USA, is that we have a separate hunting season for the use of pistols.

Each state has requirements on the use of the pistol for hunting. Here it is .357 magnum minimum. Seperate rules apply to the use of pistols for hunting deer.

If you can track and hunt game with a bow, you would also be able to track and hunt with a pistol. The range of the bow is similar or less than the pistol.

There really isn't a comparison between hunting in the USA, and hunting in Britain or Europe. The USA has tons of game in dense forests. This is not what is found in Europe. Pistol ownership was largely outlawed in Britain in 1997, after the Dunblane Massacre.

What to pick for a first hunting pistol:
1. Low cost.
2. A recoil that can be handled ok.
3. Accurate enough to function for hunting.
4. Powerful enough to go hunting.

I'd say start with an 8 or 9 inch heavy barreled 357 magnum. They cost less, and are fairly easy to find used. You can practice with lower pressure rounds, or even 38 special. And it will take a lot of practice to be accurate enough to go hunting. You'd like a 44 magnum, but most people can't handle the recoil from one of those. I won't, I don't like it. Get some one to teach you a proper 60%-40% two-handed grip. Accuracy requires it.

And just a note, I know several people that fed their family by hunting, too poor to do anything else. It was all done with .22 cal rifles. Cheap ammunition.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join