It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Changes Catch & Release Program to Catch and Remove with Some Exceptions for Illegal Immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
DHS Michael Chertoff announced on Wednesday that the US has adopted a new policy that changes the old and highly criticized practice of catch and release to one of catch and remove. There is only one problem and a big one as I see it. It apparently only applies to Non_Mexicans

The United States has ended the much-criticized practice of releasing most non-Mexicans caught crossing the borders illegally, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff announced Wednesday.

"As of the last several weeks, we have essentially been at 100 percent catch-and-remove in our Southern and Northern border," Chertoff said. Although he stopped short of declaring victory, he said the development shows "a change in the momentum" in the effort to halt illegal immigration.

The Bush administration has been under pressure to stop the so-called "catch-and-release" policy, under which two-thirds of non-Mexicans caught trying to cross into the United States illegally were set free, after being instructed to appear in court later. Most vanished into the U.S. population.

Only those deemed to be a security risk or with violent criminal records were automatically detained, since U.S. immigration authorities lacked the bed space to keep them while arrangements could be made to send them to their home countries, usually in Central or South America. Mexican migrants, by contrast, could be sent back across the border immediately, and so did not require detention facilities.

Cox News Service

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Granted it is a step in the right direction, however, I am wondering why they did not apply the practice to ALL Illegals? Essentially what they are doing is putting a bandaid on an injury that requires major surgery.

Or is this perhaps just to throw us off track to garner election votes?

[edit on 8/26/2006 by shots]

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
So we're going to catch and remove non-Mexicans only now...right. Its the bandaid trick and it will sort of make it look like we're doing something about illegals...but not really.
Well, it makes Bush sense, i guess.

I want to know one thing. Why are Mexicans mostly Republicans?? Most hispanics are Republicans. Maybe this would be more appropriate for another thread, but i'd really like to know why.....

Of course i can exclude myself from this bunch.^

new topics

join