It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Firm Crack Invisibility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted. Nothing in the search engine. Sweet invisiblity cloak! I want one. Check them out here

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It's not an invisibility cloak.

What you're seeing is a demonstration of Professor Tachi's virtual transparency work. It's a variant of what you sometimes see described as "sensor fusion", he calls it "teleexistence".

There are multiple cameras. At least one can see the material "behind" the person wearing the "cloak", or the material behind the cloak is coming from an electronic display.

The person with the "cloak" is wearing a coat made of what you might think of as projector screen material. There's a camera on his back. They are projecting an image from the "back camera" onto the "projection screen coat".

Lots of woo-woo sites grabbed this, decided that the inventor's explanation wasn't good enough and started substituting their own fantasies to describe it, like the one you linked. Here are some that are a bit more to the point:

news.bbc.co.uk...
projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp...
projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp...
www.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp...

I guess if the crew with the DLP projectors and alternate view cameras you don't see off camera isn't a giveaway, then indeed it is an invisibility breakthrough. But somehow, I think if I see some freak with a shiny coat of projection screen running around followed by 10 guys with TV projectors and cameras, I'll be sure to know what's going on.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I still want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
All you really need is a "coercer"...some sort of mind control wand thingy.

Have a few presets...such as "no one's really here", "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain", "give Tom all your money", "Tom is much better-looking that what he seems at first, second, third glance", "love the Tom, trust the Tom" etc.

If you can make them forget they saw you, it's as good as invisibility.

top topics

join