It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

G-warming causing glaciers to grow?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

I have little scientific basis for anything I say unfortunate-like, but it certainly makes sense that if global warming is occurring, it may have varying effects on different parts of the globe, rather than just a blanket melting. The effect mentioned above in Pakistan may only be an isolated occurrence for that part of the world, and may also not reflect the larger effect of decreased ice-caop and glacier mass at the poles that have most of us in a tizzy.

Please tell me if I'm way off.

I also believe that the current warming trends have a lot to do with the Sun getting antsy about something, but that's another topic all together.

Doc

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Well, climate change would cause different effects. Locally, some areas that are traditionally hotter will probably get colder and more precipitation, while traditionally cooler areas might warm up. Since we are the first generation of humans to actually study climate change, we really don't know what the over all effects will bring.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Please note the link you posted only say's "could" be growing.

Unless they have some real proof.....I don't believe it for a second.

Not to say this can not accure (and some times happens for a year or 2).

But it's def. clear the earth is warming up and things are melting....
and if we don't do something soon.....it's to late.

Take a look a Greenland the ice if FALLING into the sea MUCH faster
then the studies in the past show.

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
That is actually in line with several of the models. The interior of the continents will temporarily cool or stay constant while the oceans and land masses close to the ocean will warm. Later the interiors will warm.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Just a thought on global warming I thought I'd share with you - if you grab a glass of water and put it in the freezer it freezes up and expands......correct? Now that means that when it thaws out and melts it reduces in size.....right?

Putting that into practice, if the glaciers of ice on earth and North Pole and Antarctica were to melt, then wouldnt the sea level actuallly fall dramatically considering how much space water takes up in frozen form compared to a liquid?

Is this 'sea level rising' scare mongering just a way for these environmentalist hippies to scare the public into adopting certain policies?

Dont get me wrong, I agree we should implement things to improve the environment but I think the sea level rising debate is totaly wrong.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I personally never bought into that Global Warming redderick. Some say it is because the Ozone layer has holes in it and is disappearing. The ozone layer is created by the sun. For it to disappear, the sun would have to disappear. And it doesn't look like it is getting smaller to me.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
Just a thought on global warming I thought I'd share with you - if you grab a glass of water and put it in the freezer it freezes up and expands......correct? Now that means that when it thaws out and melts it reduces in size.....right?

Putting that into practice, if the glaciers of ice on earth and North Pole and Antarctica were to melt, then wouldnt the sea level actuallly fall dramatically considering how much space water takes up in frozen form compared to a liquid?

Is this 'sea level rising' scare mongering just a way for these environmentalist hippies to scare the public into adopting certain policies?

Dont get me wrong, I agree we should implement things to improve the environment but I think the sea level rising debate is totaly wrong.

Boy you got it wrong...... you need to take into consideration the ice that is not floating. The Greenland Iceshelf occupies land. The Oceans wouldn't lower if that were to melt. They would rise.

The Primary concern with the N. Pole melt currently happening is the increased fresh water draining into the various currents. Yes it would cause a slight decrease in depth.

[edit on 26-8-2006 by sardion2000]

new topics

top topics

join