It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Cathedral Trinity In Flames

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Trinity Cathedral burned in St. Petersburg last night and was heavily damaged. The cause of the fire not yet known, but it is being investigated. The head of a construction firm hired to do some work on the cathedral has suffered a heart attack.

Photo: Dmitry Lovetsky/AP

Mosnews: Russia Launches Probe Into Trinity Cathedral Blaze in St. Petersburg

Speaking at a news briefing on Saturday Vera Dementieva, head of the committee for protection of historic monuments, said that the head of the construction firm contracted to carry out restoration works at the cathedral, had suffered a heart attack after the fire broke out, the Gazeta. Ru news website reports..

Firefighters battled to save the other three domes as emergency workers and church employees removed icons and other religious articles from the Russian Orthodox cathedral. A helicopter brought in to fight the blaze was dumping water on the historic structure.

After the main dome collapsed, flames leaped up from the rim where it had stood. Before the fire, the domes towered from a solid base marked by classical columns. The cathedral was built in 1835 and is considered an architectural monument. State-run Rossiya television said the main dome was the second-largest wooden cupola in Europe, and Channel One said that writer Fyodor Dostoyevsky was married there. It was used as a storehouse during the Soviet era and was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church in 1990.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So sorry to see this historic building go up in flames...

Other News Sources:
The Christian Post: Fire Heavily Damages Russian Cathedral
MSNBC: Fire heavily damages St. Petersburg cathedral
Dagbladet: Russisk katedral i flammer (in norwegian...)
The Kansas City Star: Historic cathedral burns in Russia
ABS-CBN News: Fire destroys St. Petersburg cathedral domes
ABC News: Fire Heavily Damages Russian Cathedral
BBC: Blaze rips through Russia church

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Adding this pic from the ABC News article.

Photo: AP Photo/Dmitry Lovetsky

A shame... :shk:

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Good find Hellmutt!

So sorry to see this historic building go up in flames...

Yes it is!

Thanks for the links!
I'm going to see what other sources have to say...

helen

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Thats really upsetting, its been there for ages as far as i know, seems a little coincidental, considering the actual size of the flames...i think we might have a cospiracy theory in the making lol.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Well this just sucks. It was probably an accident, or perhaps bungling on the part of the construction company; I doubt it was anything deliberate. It is a real shame, though, that was an old and impressive looking building.

new topics

top topics

join