It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herbert W. Armstrong & the World Wide Church of God! Does anybody remember?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 03:13 AM
link   
With all this talk of end times, CNN, Glen Beck, Aug 22nd, various websites about various religious points of view etc. I was wondering if anyone out there remembers Herbert W. Armstrong and the World Wide Church of God & the Wonderful World Tomorrow?
I must admit that I was a member from about grade five to grade eleven. Their view of the bible & religious doctrine still haunts me that I may have committed the unpadonable sin by turning away from the true church! It was hard going from the way of the world into strict literal observation of biblical verse, especially when I was a kid. But alas I gave into temptation & quit the church; going the way of the world, growing my hair long, getting tattoos, piercings, marrying a stripper, boozing & drugs, travelling in a heavy metal rock band, etc.
Anyways now that I'm older with a new honest girl for a 2nd wife & a 2 year old kid, I feel like I'm going through some kind of spiritual crisis! I know I'm being evil & going against 90% of the bible. I also know it almost impossible to follow biblical verse literally.
Anyways I have learned some amazing things about the WWCG. The trials & tribulations they went through. Garner Ted's & Herbert's 2nd wife soap opera. All the famous people & world leaders Herbert met. The segment on 60 minutes of CBS with Mike Wallace, the Supreme Court victories, the re-legislation of California's law to include a loop hole for this & only this church. The closing of Ambassador College & University.
As I look back I think Herbert W. Armstrong may have been a true prophet! maybe even the return of Eliajah! If so we are all doomed!
It breaks my heart that this church has suffered so many splinter groups after Joseph W. Tkatch & son took over and changed doctrine to blend with evangelicals after Herbert's death.
I can't believe how many followers this church had in its heyday/peak compared to now. There is a splinter group called the Reform Church of God that copy Herbert W. Armstrongs teachings but it's not quite the same.
Here is a link to the wikapedia version! It's mind blowing what went on and sad that we'll never get to be a part of it.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
You dont have anything to fear...he was no savior by any means...no need to go back where you came from...you can continue forward.
No need for a man to be your savior/prophet, you have the truth in you already...

Peace

Dalen

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BattleofBatoche

Greetings!
I too have felt some of your feelings. I attended my first Sabbath service in the fall of 1969 at the age of eight, and except for a period of "sowing my wild oats" for about seven years have attended ever since. After the break-up of WCG, I looked into various other groups for the continuation of God's truth. Christ promised to build His church, and the gates of hell would not destroy it. I knew that it was here somewhere. I saw that Rod Meredith was indeed following the same doctorinal teachings that HWA taught. If you are indeed serious about finding the truth being fully taught, I would incourage you to check out the Living Church of God. I have certainly felt like I am home. I hope this helps.
Craig

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Mr. Armstrong as far as I can tell, never claimed to be a prophet. he did not even like to be refered o as such. the truth is still the truth and there is still time to "REPENT" we are now beginning to experience many of the sad concequences for our sins that he "predicted" Not prophecied. his teachings were based on the ACTUAL prophets and his sense of urgency was no more radical than that of Jesus or any of His original followers the Apostles. "the hour is nearer than we thought" "it is the Last hour" etc. etc.
try the United church of god, it's pretty close.
Blessings,
Russ

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Yeah, I read his book many years ago. I think it was titled Wisdom of the Ages or some such. As different as he claimed himself to be, it still seemed to me to be the same dogmatic stuff I hear at any other church.

I really don't know much about the "Church of God," other than having read some of Armstrong's book.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I remember him from when I was quite young. I think I used to hear him on the radio. I wasn't that interested but I remember his fervour and sense of the high seriousness of what he was doing.

My favorite evangelist bar none, though, was Ernest Angely. I think he was the real deal because he used to go to Africa and drive demons out of people on his crusades. His manner of speaking was unique and he also had a feeling of quiet certainty about what he was doing.

I'm not a Christian myself, but there are good people in all religions, including native African religions.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Good sir, I am happy to find someone familiar with the wwcg. I have news for you. The largest sect of Armstrongs church is now known as the United Church of God and it has the tv program "Beyond Tomorrow" which all episodes are available online. They offer free magazine subscriptions to the "Good News Magazine" and "World News and Prophecy" newsletter. They also have an array of booklets with great referencing that back up what they are teaching through those booklets. You should look in to it. Visit www.ucg.org. Many people are not willing to hear some hard hitting truths about "traditional christianity" such as the fact the bible doesn't teach that your soul separates from your body at death and then ends up in heaven or hell. Hell isn't even mentioned as a lake of fire. Hell means death, grave, abyss, and Valley of Hinnom. The lake of fire is the 2nd death and no one will be tormented forever in it. They will burn and die a 2nd time. Heaven isn't man's place to be. It is here on earth which is why Christ returns to set up a kingdom here on earth. There is no pre-tribulation rapture causeing a "Left Behind" scenario, but a post-trib rapture is supported and is known as the 1st resurrection. God's Holy Day Plan was commanded and Christmas and Easter are full of pagan traditions. Things like that are doctrine of the UCG. Check it out and don't be swayed by society. The bible is the written word of God and if these "traditional" christian doctrines don't hold up with what the bible says, don't believe them. Amen and God bless you kind sir (or ma'am, whatever the case may be).

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
You are right in thinking that you need to be seeking God once again. As you are very aware, things on this planet are turning very ugly. Things that Mr. Armstrong said are coming to pass with great accuracy. People who say that his personal life has any bearing on what he taught were only trying to follow the "man" that he was. The message was the important part. His Church boomed out a message to the world to fulfill Matt. 24:14.. This message should be taken very seriously, as it has come to pass. It is amazing to me, as I'm sure in your subconscious, or maybe your conscious thoughts that the things that Mr. Armstrong was saying, although somewhat untimely ARE now happening; exactly as he said. The main COG splinters are, the living COG, the united COG, the Philadelphia COG, and the Church of God's faithful. United is the largest of these splinters, but is doctrinally unsound, as are the others with the exception of the Church of God's faithful, because the work mentioned in Matt. 24:14 has been accomplished. The message of the gospel; the "true" gospel of Christ has been brought to the world. But only, as a witness to all nations. The feelings that you have about God are pressing, because you mind recognizes that the world, with Europe at the helm, is changing irrevocably. If you have thoughts that are pressing on your mind; instead of listening to blogs from people who have their own doubts and "opinions ' about life; Think about one of Herbert Armstrong's key values.. "don't trust me, trust your Bible"... He never wanted any of us to rely solely on his instruction. And anyone who gives you "advice" based on the contrary, can offer you no fact based instruction on the matter. If you would like to contact me, my email address is: (and I have read the disclaimer, and am ready to except all consequences) [email protected]... I have more information for anyone who needs it..

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Herbert W. Armstrong taught that the British Monarchy are sitting on the throne that Jesus will come back and sit on. He goes into this story about Jeremiah bringing a stone to England. He believed the ten lost tribes were not lost, but make up most of Europe and the US.

If you do some digging on the internet, you will be surprised to find that you can connect the dots between freemasonry, NWO, Illuminati, Olympics and the Merovingian bloodline to the evil that will over take the world.

As a follower of Herbert W. Armstrong's teachings, you will be prepared to accept the AC lock stock and barrel.

Herbert W. Armstrong believed the grace of God brings you to repentance and salvation, but you can't sin after that or you lose your salvation. They teach that you must take part in the Holy Festivals and do sacrifices like the Jews. My father-in-law travels to these feasts every year.

They do not believe fallen angels had offspring with human women and the list goes on.

They seem like very good people, but I would avoid returning to that "faith".

If you had not been exposed to this religion at an early age would you have such positive feelings about it now? Wouldn't it be nice if everyone who is steeped in their own religious dogmas seriously studied unhindered to find what the truth is? I know Muslims are not allowed to study the Bible and most have never read the whole Kuran. And yet, look at them and how many there are willing to either die for their faith or kill infidels.

Question everything and study the scriptures to see what the truth is. Spend some serious time seeking the face of God and see what he wants you to do.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The one true church you speak of is the bible and the teachings in it. All you need is to read your bible and prey and the answers will come to you. As far as being the savior. Remember, the next man that walks the earth as a savior will be the Antichrist. The second coming of Jesus is the rapture. Not an extended stay. I don’t believe that a church is needed as much as the fundamentalist claim. In he bible it tells us that out bodies are temples. It also said Lift a rock and I am there, bust a piece of wood I am there also. All you have to do is seek him out and he well make himself known. While churches are good for fellowship with likeminded individuals the real message you get is from searching for yourself.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I suggest you read the book ANNOINT YOUR EYES... at this site: www.thercg.org. It may help you understand what went on with WCG. I was a member during the late 80's and couldn't understand the mess that came along until 2007, when I read the referenced book. There's also a vast array of literature but the most revealing is this book. Hope this may prove useful for you and your interest.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Didn't he make several failed "prophecies"?
Personally, I think he's about as credible as his friend - Ronald Weinland...

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I remember many Sabbath's in my youth were spent worshipping in the Masonic Lodges and Scottish Rite Centers in California. My mother was a member of the WWCG.

posted on Aug, 26 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BattleofBatoche

It haunts me too.

top topics

join