It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will General motors go bust

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Do you think General Motors will go bust. The worlds largest car maker has posted a loss of over 3 billion dollars for the second quarter. In 2004 GM made $1262 profit per vehicle in 2005 it lost $2681 per vehicle. All this is mainly due to to its spiraling healtcare bill. It has to foot the healthcare bill for 1.1 million workers and it seems only a matter of time before GM goes down the gurglar. So will GM go bust or is there light at the end of the tunnel.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
They will find a hospitable home in Michigan who will reclams it title of "Automobile Capitol of the World" and the Co will be foremost in automotives.

It's going to take some petrol based AA classes but I think it can be done. Considering the free and clean energy potentials, if taken advantage of, there won't be any competition.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
They will find a hospitable home in Michigan who will reclams it title of "Automobile Capitol of the World" and the Co will be foremost in automotives.

It's going to take some petrol based AA classes but I think it can be done. Considering the free and clean energy potentials, if taken advantage of, there won't be any competition.

That, and alot of layoffs and forced retirements.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
They need to convert a few of their factories to hospitals. Have their employees go to these newly created "GM" hospitals and there you go, zero costs for healthcare. They'd just need to fire a few engineers/marketing people and hire a couple doctors and pharmacists and nurses.

Too bad they made such ridiculous deals with their unions. Toyota is now going to eat Ford and GM. Oh and China is just getting started. GM and Ford thought the American people were idiots and would buy whatever stupid bucket they put on the lot. I mean did you see what they did to the Impala? That thing looks like a turd on wheels. It is NOT an Impala.

GM sold the American soul to unleaded gasoline and made millions from the oil companies. As much as I love classic Chevrolet cars, they've mismanaged the brand so badly that I cannot wait until GM gets divided and sold to people who can think. I would love to see Chevy make great cars again.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
seriously, forget american muscle its a dying breed. i just traded in my 01 Cobra for an 06 infiniti G35 coup and its awesome. ill never buy an american car again. ford and gm can jump off a bridge for all i care.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
GM won't go bust....all those top execs. will collude and divvy up bonuses
for taking GM Finance 'private' (like rumor says Ford is about to do)

Then the GM assembly line operations will declare bankruptcy
and transfer the responsibility of pensions & healthcare to the Fed Gov't
(more bonuses to the priviledged elite who designed the transfer of debts)

The GM R&D branch will be merged with the GM Financial, and really push
the 'flex-fuel' & 'bio-diesel' technologies...so other auto producers may lease
or franchise the GM engineering technology, buy their fuels, finance their own brands of vehicles thru GM Finance.

i see them becoming 'facilitators' rather than 'assembly line' production...in the near future

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I heard a rumor that the government might cancel GM's debts what do you guys think.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Only if they do what they did for Dodge, and I can see that happening. The gov has more than enough money to reinvestback into it's own damn economy, so why not.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
GM needs to produce diesels. Small scale efficient diesels. This way Americans can grow their fuel (peanut, mustard, soybean... you choose your oil) and we can stop depending on the volatile mid-east producers.

[edit on 25-8-2006 by smallpeeps]

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
GM won't go bust....all those top execs. will collude and divvy up bonuses
for taking GM Finance 'private' (like rumor says Ford is about to do)

For those interested here is the thread for the Ford "rumor".
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sure, GM and Ford make mega bucks selling gas hogs in the 90s. Big trucks and SUVs :shk:
Then, they made those bizarro deals with the unions...what were they thinking.
Seems like it's time to pay the piper.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The strange part is that the general is posting massive losses yet it's share price is fairly steady. What gives?

Cug

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
GM needs to produce diesels. Small scale efficient diesels. This way Americans can grow their fuel (peanut, mustard, soybean... you choose your oil) and we can stop depending on the volatile mid-east producers.

I used to think that also. But really alternative fueled vehicles like biodiesels and ethanol are a great idea right now, when the numbers of users are tiny. If there is a major shift to using these fuels we are going to have problems.

Because of increased demand the prices will rise (you can forget about getting free oil from fast food places, they will sell it to the highest bidder) well over the $10.00 gallon mark most oils are at now.

The volatile mid-east producers will no longer be a problem but the volatile nature of ol' Mother Nature will effect the supply. a bad year will send the prices skyrocketing, and they will not recover until the next season. (Or be subject to the sometimes volatile South American countries.)

What else could happen? Plenty, there are reports that the Ogallala aquifer might run dry in as little as 25 years. The Ogallala is the water source in America's Breadbasket the place these crops are grown. If that's gone, crop production will take a huge dive.

Oh don't forget the environmental impact a large scale use of biodiesel could cause, more chemical fertilizers, pesticide use (both produced from fossil fuels BTW), and deforestation.

OK my rant is over.. I now return you to your on-topic thread

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cug
If there is a major shift to using these fuels we are going to have problems.

It is more truthful to state: "Any shift away from unleaded gasoline will involve problems." It's the shift itself which is difficult, and as I said, this can only be due to the lack-of-viision on the part of the auto manufacturers who have no given us any alternative to unleaded, refined fuel. Ethanol is another of their refined fuels that will be played out through the US via GM and Ford, etc. I am talking about SVO: en.wikipedia.org... ...Using SVO is totally within the engineer's hands. They could build a car which ran on SVO if they wanted to.

Because of increased demand the prices will rise (you can forget about getting free oil from fast food places, they will sell it to the highest bidder) well over the $10.00 gallon mark most oils are at now.

Right now, SVO can be gotten for around $2.50/gal in the pacific northwest USA. I do not think it will rise to $10 at all because that price point is way too high. It costs far more to make unleaded gasoline than to crush peanuts or soybeans and get oil. Bean-grinders and crushing equipment can be purchased much more cheaply than oil refineries.

From the wikipedia link above:

History
The first known use of vegetable oil as fuel for a diesel engine was a demonstration of an engine built by the Otto company and designed to burn mineral oil, which was run off of pure peanut oil at the 1900 World's Fair. 1]

Peanuts are not expensive to grow, particularly with modern hydroponics technology. Former president Carter and Willie Nelson have talked about this. We do not need the ogalla if we have reserviors locally pumping water to hydroponics growing areas. I am sure we can make SVO cheaper than what it'll cost to produce the vegetables. We could have ten-story buildings/complexes which could be gravity-fed and which serve only to produce peanut or soy oil. Truckers across the USA are switching when SVO becomes available to them. Their trucks can easily be made to process it with efficiency equal to that of processed (read: expensively controlled and taxed) fuels.

I am perfectly on topic because GM and the oil companies like British Petroleum (sorry, Beyond Petroleum) are working in cahoots to fully control all American fuel dispensation, and vehicle choices in the USA. They offer us only limited choices, and that is by design. Americans must demand more realistically fuel-enabled vehicles in their dealerships, and they should patronize whatever auto manufacturers are willing to provide such fuel-enabled cars. We need and want diesels that are built to run on simple vegetable oils which can be locally produced and county-led in their dispensation.

new topics

top topics

join