It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese police arrest 5 over 3D mapping technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   

TOKYO (Reuters) - Tokyo police on Friday arrested five executives from a Japanese company suspected of exporting devices that could be used in producing nuclear weapons, one of which was discovered in Libya, Japanese media said.

source

if these have been found in the hands of libya then there is surely the possibility that they have gotten into the hands of countries like Iran as well? given the recent news about Irans heavy water plant i'm begginging to wonder if they are a lot further forward with the development of their nukes than we thought?

[edit on 25-8-2006 by solidshot]

[edit on 25-8-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 04:12 AM
link   

. . . could be used in uranium enrichment.
??

When I read the title, I thought that a few Japanese had constructed illegal nuclear weapons.

When I read the segment of article, I thought that the Japanese had exported something vital to the nuclear device itself.

When I read the article in full, I thought that these claims are ridiculous.

For instance, some highly-specialized items designed specifically for bomb manufacture can now be found in stereo speakers. Cmon, a measuring device that might be used to enrich uranium? Who's to say that it won't be used for irregular construction work, or something along those lines. What it was actually designed for?

Admittedly, something that could be used in this process might be used in this process, so it is good to see that authorities are keeping an eye out.
Until more details are released, like who was buying them, I think this all sounds like over-the-top suspicion.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   
You have to view this through the eyes of cold war experiences by the americans about japanese 'technology transferes'.

Remember toshiba in the 1980's selling precision milling equipment that let the Soviet union jump 20 years in the submarine races??? Yes Toshiba from japan. The soviets got the equipment because the japanese couldn't be sure that it wouldn't be used for mining equipment repairs - so they sold it. Much to the Mucho anger of the Americans.

Money is the root of all evil is it not?? And who cares if it could be used for nukes, for surely no one builds nukes these days....

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Your title was so misleading. I edited it to more accurately reflect the truth of the situation.

The Japanese don't sell 'nuclear devices' - not now, not ever. This company sold a machine that creates detailed maps in three dimensions to produce accurate measurements of cylindrical objects (I believe).

Way different than a 'nuclear device' - so, yeah...

Also, if you read the article, you'll notice that these devices couldn't even be used for nuclear work. The technology could be reverse-engineered to produce a more high-tech version, which could be used in the production of nukes.

But, if I'm not mistaken, this tech is used extensively by the oil and gas industry, so it could have been intended for use in that sector. I don't know, and frankly neither does anyone else this side of Iran. The devices never made it over there, so we have no way of knowing what they would have been used for, right?

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
But, if I'm not mistaken, this tech is used extensively by the oil and gas industry, so it could have been intended for use in that sector. I don't know, and frankly neither does anyone else this side of Iran. The devices never made it over there, so we have no way of knowing what they would have been used for, right?

I have to agree with the above. People need to stop being so jumpy and relax a little. Just cos Johnny has a piece of wire doesn't mean he is planning to take over the world. So much is (mis)read into a lot of things these days and it just causes unnecessary cr@p and puts a target on innocent people/companies/countries. Perhaps what needs to be investigated more is not what COULD be done with "stuff" but what they ARE doing with it.

new topics

top topics

join