It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Pluto causes Astrology to go up in smoke?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
As we all know Pluto will no longer be counted as a planet.

Now, I'm no big fan of astrology, but there are a huge amount of astrologers and astrology believers out there, and reading astrology charts is supposedly quite an art. But now that Pluto is no longer a Planet, how does this influence Astrology?

By the way, astrology is an age old "art/science" - yet Pluto was only "discovered" in 1930. Does this mean that Pluto wasn't used in reading astrology charts in the earlier times, in any way?

In astrology Pluto is the planet of Power. It also rules the starsign Scorpio.

For all that Pluto (re)creates (it also governs the reproductive system), it loves to destroy. This Planet rules destruction, death, obsession, kidnapping, coercion, viruses and waste. That's definitely not pretty. Pluto also governs crime and the underworld, along with many forms of subversive activity (terrorism, dictatorships). This Planet is about all that is secret and undercover, that which is hidden from view. Is this the story of good vs. evil? Yes.

Source

Interesting isn't it... Does this mean that Pluto - if it were excluded from astrology charts there would be no more evil - i.e. terrorism?

To some modern Western astrologers, Pluto () is the ruling planet of Scorpio. Called "the great renewer", Pluto is considered to represent the part of a person that destroys in order to renew. A commonly used keyword for Pluto is "transformation". Many more traditional astrologers do not use Pluto as a ruling planet, but do use the planet for interpretation and predictive work.

Wikipedia

So, astrologer friends, how does this change your astrology charts, or will it have no effect whatsoever?

Sp: Astrolomy!? WTF?!

[edit on 25-8-2006 by Gemwolf]

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I don't see any influence. People can lable things as much as they like, but it won't change the symbolic attributes and the "energetic" effects it will have. Men labled everything, but it worked just as well before lables were given. I personally couldn't care less if some scientists call something a planet or a star, because it won't influence the attributes and effects it has on others.

A cow says moo. Will it stop saying moo when you call it a cat?

And since you're not a fan of astrology I guess you're not a fan of astronomy either. Seeing that one caused the birth of the other.

[edit on 25-8-2006 by Enyalius]

Cug

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

By the way, astrology is an age old "art/science" - yet Pluto was only "discovered" in 1930. Does this mean that Pluto wasn't used in reading astrology charts in the earlier times, in any way?

Correct. In fact the 7 classical plants are the Sun through Saturn. When Uranus and Neptune were discovered many were still thinking of Astrology as a Natural Science instead of an Occult Science so they had to figure out meanings for the new planets. What they did is look at the situation of the world and applied what was happening at the time to the meaning of the new planets. That was understandable on their part.

By the time Pluto came out that was no longer the case and using it was stupid IMNSHO.

So, astrologer friends, how does this change your astrology charts, or will it have no effect whatsoever?

That will not change mine a bit. All my astrology books were printed before 1930.
And for the most part I still only use the 7 classical planets anyway.

[edit on 8/25/2006 by Cug]

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enyalius
A cow says moo. Will it stop saying moo when you call it a cat?

And since you're not a fan of astrology I guess you're not a fan of astronomy either. Seeing that one caused the birth of the other.

You make a good point, and that was pretty much my take on it as well.
I am however a "fan" of astronomy, seeing that it is more of an exact science that astrology. (Keeping in mind that any science can only be that "Exact".)

Originally posted by Cug
That will not change mine a bit. All my astrology books were printed before 1930.
And for the most part I still only use the 7 classical planets anyway.

Thanks for the inside info, Cug! I take it the other astrologers (the "modern ones") - those that do the daily newspaper "horoscopes" - will have a different take on it? Maybe it's time they too turn to the "olden ways"?

Cug

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Thanks for the inside info, Cug! I take it the other astrologers (the "modern ones") - those that do the daily newspaper "horoscopes" - will have a different take on it?

It will also have no effect on the newspaper "astrologers" as they just make it up anyway

As for the modern astrologers I think they will just add the new dwarf planets into the system. If you add Ceres and UB313 you now have 12 "planets" one for each astrological sign. But only time will tell (It took 20 or so years before Pluto was widely accepted)

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I just love it when someone knows what they're talking about!

Originally posted by Cug
It will also have no effect on the newspaper "astrologers" as they just make it up anyway

I knew it! I just knew it... So I'm not even slightly surprised!

Originally posted by Cug
As for the modern astrologers I think they will just add the new dwarf planets into the system. If you add Ceres and UB313 you now have 12 "planets" one for each astrological sign. But only time will tell (It took 20 or so years before Pluto was widely accepted)

So, they WILL have to re-invent their charts?! It takes quite a while for something like this to be "accepted" by everyone... Who is the "regulating body" that will be in control of such astrology decisions?

Cug

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 04:27 AM
link   

I just love it when someone knows what they're talking about!

Well it sure isn't me.. It take me forever to figure out a chart.

I knew it! I just knew it... So I'm not even slightly surprised!

I told you that in your last astrology thread

So, they WILL have to re-invent their charts?! It takes quite a while for something like this to be "accepted" by everyone... Who is the "regulating body" that will be in control of such astrology decisions?

Sure they will have to change the system. Just like every astronomy book will have to be updated. There are some astrology uhmmm professional organizations but really the next few books by big names in the field will probably lay out the basics, and as people start using the new system they will decide what system works best. Eventually a consensus will form as to what works and that will be the next standard.

[edit on 8/25/2006 by Cug]

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 04:28 AM
link   
No idea who is the controlling organ. Thing is...astrology isn't just astrology. There are many sub-variations and people work with the system they feel most comfortable with. So this will probably end up becoming a new system on its own and people can decide how to use it or not.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I read a very interesting paper on astrology that provides a completely different explanation as to how it works. I wish I could remember the source but I can't find it. But I'll attempt to paraphrase it here:

The 'classical' explanation is that each planet exerts some 'force' on us when we are born and that is why astrology 'works'. This alternative explanation is abit different. It contends that there are universal forces 'out there' but they are not related to the planets. These forces exist in areas, sort of like clouds, and as earth and the solar system move through space we pass through these various energy 'clouds'. By plotting the exact relative positions of the planets you are actually defining a very specific point in time and that point in time relates to a very specific location in space. That location in space relates to a specific set of energy 'clouds' affecting us. Some Indian cultures also believe in these energy 'clouds' --- the Wompanoag for one.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I don't believe this would affect Vedic/Jyotish astrology, because if I'm not mistaken, it is based on 9 heavenly bodies of which the sun, moon, rahu and ketu are not planets, so I don't think Pluto was ever counted.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
i dont see a problem with its name change. regardless of what you call it, its still a celestial body, so its impact on astrology should remain the same.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Well it's been counted throughout text books for however many years. Now everything will need to be rewritten for schools.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Well it's been counted throughout text books for however many years. Now everything will need to be rewritten for schools.

this is probobly what the administration wants. now they have a chance to re-write every science book in the world and most likly try and drop in a few added chapters about intelligent design.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I fail to see how planets that are in outer space would affect anyones live on earth.
They're just rocks, big rocks.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I fail to see how planets that are in outer space would affect anyones live on earth.

well the moon is just a big rock hanging out in space, that happens to be responsible for the oceans tides amongst other things. whos to say it couldn't affect some of your biology as well thus affecting your life on earth.

i understand pluto is very very far away, but i wonder if its gravitational forces even in the slighest amount have an affect on earth? would its forces affect closer planets and send the effects along the line of planets until it reached earth (like a chain reaction)? what would be the consequesnces if it weren't there?

i tend to beleive that even the very smallest celestial bodies have at least some impact on the solar system as a whole and that includes us (as people)...

top topics

join