It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel Adds 2 Nuclear-Capable Submarines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Israel has just bought 3 nuclear capable submarines called 'Dolphin' submarines from Germany at 2/3rds the actual cost of the submarines. They are not nuclear submarines, but they are nuclear arms capable submarines, they would allow Israel with first strike capabilities and also a second strike capability that is essential with threats from the Iraqi government. An independent defense analyst has stated that, "the Iranians would be very foolish if they attacked Israel."

news.yahoo.com
JERUSALEM - With the purchase of two more German-made Dolphin submarines capable of carrying nuclear warheads, military experts say Israel is sending a clear message to Iran that it can strike back if attacked by nuclear weapons.

The purchases come at a time when Iran is refusing to bow to growing Western demands to halt its nuclear program, and after Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has called for Israel to be "wiped off the map."

The new submarines, built at a cost of $1.3 billion with Germany footing one-third of the bill, have diesel-electric propulsion systems that allow them to remain submerged for longer periods of time than the three nuclear arms-capable submarines already in Israel's fleet, the Jerusalem Post reported.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It sure is building up in the Middle East, and here is one part of that that I only hope will be a deterent to a nuclear conflict in this area. Israel has never said it has nuclear weapons, but ...

Israel is believed to have the 6th largest stockpile of nuclear weapons. Experts don't think Iran knows the consquences of a nuclear war, hopefully this purchase of submarines will prevent/deter an escalation of threats and not escalate fears in this region.

[edit on 24/8/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Can some one explain to me what constitutes "nuclear-capable" submarines because the NPT expressly prohibts signatories from transfering any nuclear related technology to non-NPT signatories.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I guess it's just capable of firing a missile large enough to carry a nuclear warhead, although it could also use missiles with conventional warheads. It really has no nuclear technology in it.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Ah I see DJ, so it's pretty irrelevant that it's capable of carrying nuclear warheads? It seems like a normal sub to me. Infact Germany is not a nuclear power so it's really nothing special I guess.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Of course it will be used for nuclear warheads. Why else would they spend so much on this sub, when they can buy any non-nuclear launch capable sub for less of a cost?

[edit on 25-8-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Ah I see DJ, so it's pretty irrelevant that it's capable of carrying nuclear warheads? It seems like a normal sub to me. Infact Germany is not a nuclear power so it's really nothing special I guess.

The only real diifferences between Israel's new submarine and their older ones are that the new subs can stay under water for longer perionds of time (stealth) and, as they put it, "has lots of interesting equipment". The defense analyst also called the submarine "one of the best built coventional submarines."

Source

The new submarines, built at a cost of $1.3 billion with Germany footing one-third of the bill, have diesel-electric propulsion systems that allow them to remain submerged for longer periods of time than the three nuclear arms-capable submarines already in Israel's fleet, the Jerusalem Post reported.

"They are very well-built, very well-prepared, lots of interesting equipment, one of the best conventional submarines available," Beaver said. "We are talking about a third string of deterrence capabilities."

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I begin to wonder if Israel has bluffed their possession of nuclear weapons this whole time to keep their enemies in check? Perhaps they are just adding this to their bluff?

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
now that's a scary thought. And it'd put one hell of a hole into the justification Iran/Syria uses to develop nukes and whiz all over UN regulations wouldn't it?

Originally posted by DYepes
I begin to wonder if Israel has bluffed their possession of nuclear weapons this whole time to keep their enemies in check? Perhaps they are just adding this to their bluff?

new topics

top topics

join