It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally Some Good News: Dam Broken To Restore Wetlands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
With all of the bad news these days of how Governments, and Companies are destroying nature, it is so refreshing to see that in California, they just took down a dam which allows sea water to flow back into what used to be wetlands. The ocean had been damed off for a century. The 387 acre area, which used to be Californias 2nd largest oil field, will take approx 6 hours to fill. Tidal flows will fill and drain the basin twice a day, bringing back the natural rhythm of nature. The land is already home to more than 200 species, and scientist are confident that many more species will "move in"!

Thank you California for doin it right!

news.yahoo.com...

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. - The ocean flowed into historic wetlands Thursday for the first time in more than a century after bulldozers peeled back the last layer of an earthen dam. Environmentalists who worked for 30 years to restore the massive Bolsa Chica area cheered and sipped champagne as the salty water poured into the fragile ecosystem that had been tapped as an oil field for decades.

The event capped a two-year project that cost more than $100 million and shunted a portion of the scenic Pacific Coast Highway onto an overpass.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well its good to see that after they have finished using the land they are restoring it to its natural state.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Well its good to see that after they have finished using the land they are restoring it to its natural state.

Here, here Nerdling! Now if more of this type of thing would take place, the world TRULY would be a better place.
Now let's see, the project cost $100 Million dollars to complete - what was Exxons PROFIT last quarter alone? These are the types of things that should be almost mandatory for the big companies who make so much profit from destroying lands.
IMHO.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The only thing that I would be concerned about is the damage to the surrounding animal habitats. Sure they're going to restore the natural state but in doing that they may also completely wipe out the eco system that has formed out of the lack of water.

Still, I'm sure its something they've investigated.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Didn't notice this in other current events, and posted the same story to fragile earth. My bad. If the mods want to, they can close my thread.

new topics

top topics

join