It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Windows Vista a big deal?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I would like to ask the computer geeks and whizkids here whether Windows Vista is worth the salt it's made out to be?

I mean what are the goodies included? Or is Windows XP good enough?

In a nutshell, is it worth buying?

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I don't consider myself a Computer Geek but I like to share my opinion so here goes.

At some point, Yes. Right Away, No!

Any program, software, system, etc. is always flawed on the initial release date. It has to be, every bug can not be sorted out before the program is released simply because every scenario is not tossed at it. So for now sit on your XP and be sure to stay up to date.

In the future Vista is where its going to be at. Over time updates will stop being available for XP, as they were for 2000, ME, 98. Once this happens Vista will be your only Windows to run safely.

I think Vista is going to be a good program, simply due to the length of time between an updated OS. Normally it was two or three years tops for a new windows to be put out, well its been alot longer then that since XP has been released.

Microsoft gets a bad rap but they do their programs right. They can afford to take their time and get it right, not many companies have the money to waste like Microsoft. They can spend the extra million to make sure they get it right without havign to sweat it.

So hold off for now, and get it sometime in the future.

My .02 anyhow.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
windows vista is a joke virtually all the decent bits that were supposed to be included within it have been removed and it is still massiveley late being delivered, not only that it is reputedly full of drm rubbish that will constantly check what you have installed/are copying
:bash:

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Safety precautions for the average user does not make it rubbish.

Provide some details of what was removed that would of made it so extraordinary.

Its release date being moved, how does that make the program rubbish? Seems like it is only being assured that the program being released is going to be working at its full potential. Bugs will come out, but atleast they make sure it is minimized.

So maybe everything that makes it rubbish, is actually only strengthening the program.

They are releasing several different versions of the program, Surely one will only half-way dissapoint you.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Unfortunatly, the windows vista beta program has been stopped.

honestly believe that ATS members flooded M$ with download requests-we do have 60K members.

Issues I ran into

NO X-Fi driver suppoet at all, yet.

Other driver support is poor, but getting better-MB/Video( there are currently NO direct x 10 video cards on the market yet)...

Conpadability with current softwear is poor at best yet.

here is a link to my and others work with vista:

Vista install post

hope this helps

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
one of the biggest parts removed was the new fileing system this was what vista was intended to be based around so you could say that they have almost literally ripped the guts out of it, the only thing at the minute that is better than xp is the flashy front end and to get this to work properely a lot of users will have to upgrade there machines.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
one of the biggest parts removed was the new fileing system this was what vista was intended to be based around so you could say that they have almost literally ripped the guts out of it, the only thing at the minute that is better than xp is the flashy front end and to get this to work properely a lot of users will have to upgrade there machines.

It was called "winfx" for windows file system.
It was supposed to be the new version of NTFS.
Currently, M$ is only going to use it on Database programs

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
With Vista, there are six versions (right now, anyway) from basic up to enterprise. That is what I do not like about it. It's a tier, where I'm sure the more you spend, the more support you'll get in the way of security fixes.
I agree with some of the others, though, I intend to wait until the first breech is played out and a fix is offered.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Next Gen videogames supposedly will require windows vista...

or so I've heard.

and you need good graphics card I've heard too due to the GUI

but hey I'm just lys, wha' do I know?

[edit on 24-8-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
When Vista is released, everybody will be offered a 30 day Free Trial with Windows One Care. (Antivirus, Antispyware, Firewall) After that you will have to purchase it, but I think after Vista is released your going to see the number of copies of One Care in circulation to go up significantly.

When Microsoft offered Explorer at no cost with Windows, Netscape went wild. They are offering a program that Netscape requires you pay for, doesn't seem fair. Well the customer certainly disagreed. If Microsoft offered One Care at no cost with Vista, I think we would see a war between some companies.

I believe Microsoft has escaped some court dates by simply offering a free trial with Windows rather than the full copy, but it remains to be seen what does come of it.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I have it in my PC at the moment but can't install until I get my new PC I'll see how it work and they replace if it not worth it. But it look really good!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
No, because a good GNU/Linux distrobution or Mac OSX at the time of the release of Vista will have much more features than Vista and it will be free or sold at a very low cost if you want support. With GNU/Linux you can even have a Radeon 9200 and still be able to use all the XGL eye candy which is far superiour to Vista.

Vista will also use a heavy security system called NGSCB that will cooperate with TCG chips which will only allow approved applications to run. It can also be used for unauthorized persons to access your computer from the outside if they're able to hack the stream. This will however get integrated much later. Many people blame this on the TCG chip but It's really just a storage for encryption keys and if It's used properly it can aid security a lot on systems.

I'm amazed that a company with so much money can't produce a good operating system. It's incredible that you have to use all those anti* apps and maintainance utilites to keep it running.

However, people are pretty ignorant and will use whatever exists in front of them. It's sad, really.

[edit on 2006-8-26 by bracke]

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
You need to realize, Microsoft has to aim at the largest population. Which is the average user, and well the average user is not very computer savvy. So all of these precautions need to be addressed. People that are extremely quick when it comes to computers may become frustrated with Windows and everything that is offered with it, but I agree with all of the extra additions.

Mainly because everyone in my family that has a computer is a twit, and every extra Microsoft adds in, is one issue I'm not called in to have a look at.

Most people who have a computer use it for Word programs, stay up to date on news, chat with family. They don't need much more then that, so Microsoft offers them all the protection they need. Yet they still manage to screw it up.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I worked with a the vista for a while and it is very good in my opinion I'm not running it on my PC but a friend is using it now he copy it on his PC and burn it on to a DVDrom and install it now to his PC using it still and he not a computer guy and he love it. Much more user friendly by far and work great even if it is the beta version. I did had to go over a help him out ever once and a while but not so much that it a pain. I found out many power user out there are the only one who have problems (also the most likely to have Vista beta) so I think that meant for the ever day person who just surfing the web,using Office Word for work, IM people and other thing like that and they don't know nothing about PC.

[edit on 25-8-2006 by El Che]

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Vista isnt out yet EL che....how'd you get it unless maybe your a programmer and your company got it, or illegaly?

anyway, i agree with what someone said above...it will be a big deal, but not right away...i would wait a while to get it...at most a year, for all the patches and such to fix the problems...just my opinion

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
How can it be a big deal when the last one wasn't even close to living up to expectations of which is why Google has become the success that it has? Besides, we do have a bigger and better Apple Computer who is armed to the teeth with their all conquering killer iPod product. We are naive to no end in thinking that this next Windows will even remotely be better than what the competition of whom are swimming around Microsoft like sharks are cooking up next. I am pessimistic until the end in all honesty and unfortunatly have only really been wowed by Microsoft's enemies thus far.

[edit on 26-8-2006 by risitar]

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllinTheMind89
Vista isnt out yet EL che....how'd you get it unless maybe your a programmer and your company got it, or illegaly?

It was a legal download from Microsoft for something like a month, until they run out of license keys.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm talking about Beta 2. Have you remembered when Microsoft gave out the Beta version it right at the top in mrmonsoon post check out I download it during then and then used it a few times it pretty good in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Next Gen videogames supposedly will require windows vista...

or so I've heard.

and you need good graphics card I've heard too due to the GUI

[edit on 24-8-2006 by Lysergic]

there have been many roumers some of which state that you will need to buy a new monitor as well as at least 2 gig of fast ram just to play games :bnghd:

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
there have been many roumers some of which state that you will need to buy a new monitor as well as at least 2 gig of fast ram just to play games :bnghd:

I have a Athlon 1600+ with 512MB and Unreal Tournament 2004 is faster on Vista than on XP.

I forgot to add that my graphics card is a GeForce 2 MX400 (old, isn't it?)

[edit on 26/8/2006 by ArMaP]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join