It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Case Against Jose Padilla In Jeopardy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
The government's case against Jose Padilla has suffered a set back as federal judge Marcia Cooke threw out one of the three charges against Padilla citing the ban on charging a person twice for the same crime and believing the charge to be redundant. Padilla was arrested in May 2002 on suspicion of being tied to an Al Qaeda plot to set off a dirty bomb in New York City. He was initially held in military custody before being transferred to civilian custody in Jan. 2003. his case was finally moved to civilian court in Nov. 2005. Since then his case was combined with two other defendants charged with terrorism related offences.

news.bbc.co.uk
A US judge has thrown out one of three charges against Jose Padilla, the US citizen who was held for more than three years as an "enemy combatant".
Judge Marcia Cooke said the charge of "conspiring to murder, kidnap and maim persons in a foreign country" referred to the same actions as other charges.

As such, it violated a US ban on trying people for the same offence twice.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well what does it say about a case when you have to charge a man twice for the same offense? Doesn't fill me with unlimited confidence. Could this degenerate in to another 20th hijacker fiasco. They only got Zacarias Moussaoui on that because he said he did it. The guy was simply crazy. Padilla may have just been stupid to get involved with someone and really done nothing serious.

And if that is the case and the government's case isn't as strong as we were led to believe then I'd bet this guy will be out in at least 10-15yrs. That is even if he goes away at all.

[edit on 24/8/2006 by Mirthful Me]

join