It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING!!! Stay OFF Manatee county beaches (Florida USA)! WARNING!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
www.godlikeproductions.com.../23/06

A substance like petroleum jelly has been found on a floridan beache, and burns if it comes in contact with skin.

Warning advice is to stay away from the effected beaches. the beach is closed to people throughout the day. A 700 yard stretch of this 'substance' has been seen just off the coast line.

...i wonder just what it is??

[edit on 23-8-2006 by D4rk Kn1ght]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Any one live down that way who can fill us in a bit more? happened on the night of the 22nd....... any people from Florida or near by that can confirm or refute this chemical spill / hazard?

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It appears to be related to Red Tide algae. This just hit the wire an hour or so ago.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It not just up in Manatee, Florida... near Tampa. It is also down here in the keys.. although I dont think it is the same algea.

MiamiHerald.com

ENVIRONMENT
Mysterious algae clouding KeysA massive algae bloom has exploded along the road to the Keys. Scientists suspect a road project may be partly to blame.
BY CURTIS MORGAN
[email protected]

The normally clear bays bordering the main road to the Florida Keys look more like something poured from a Campbell's can, the variety labeled ``green pea.''

On both sides of U.S. 1, shimmering shallows have been stained by an unusually persistent explosion of algae, the worst since dense blooms killed swaths of sea grass and sponges in Florida Bay more than a decade ago.

''I'm in these waters nearly every day to some extent, and I've never seen anything like it,'' said Key Largo fishing guide Lain Goodwin.

rest of story here

The problem here is caused by a combination of the hurricanes from last year and the Construction being done along US1 into the keys. It is spreading and they havnt been able to figure out a way to stop it yet.

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Marine mystery at Shore
Biologists aren't sure why so many mammals have beached on the Atlantic shoreline in places opposite where they should be found.

Strangest of all may be a manatee, a species usually found in the warm tropical waters off Florida, that was first spotted two weeks ago in the Hudson River in New York. The large creature is apparently now cruising the New England states, having last been seen swimming off Falmouth, Mass., and North Kingstown, R.I.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The seas becoming toxic is perhaps why the mammals are driven out of their normal habitats into zones they have never ventured in before. Commerical fishing may become a dead industry if this trend continues.

[edit on 27-8-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Agreed Regenmacher,

There was a whale that died here in the keys in july
nbc6.net has the story

Whale Stranded Off Keys Dies

POSTED: 2:25 pm EDT July 25, 2006
UPDATED: 6:07 pm EDT July 25, 2006

BIG PINE KEY, Fla. -- A 35-foot sperm whale that beached itself off Big Pine Key on Monday died Tuesday afternoon.

The 15-ton whale, which experts said was emaciated, had to labor in order to breathe and had been attacked by sharks, died at about 1 p.m.

"All the people working here, all the people involved in the stranding network, our heart goes out to this animal. It's really hard," said veterinarian Dr. Robert Stevens.

Marine experts had been trying to rescue the whale since Monday morning.

rest of story here

they arent sure what killed the whale in this story. And I was unable to find anything further. But they said it hadnt eaten in a while and had lost 12 inches of blubber. That is probably due toan infection of some kind. There are many many more stories like this.
:shk:

new topics

top topics

join