It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoying "One lined response"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
i think i deserved it wen i got my point dedeuction i forgot about the rule to not put one lined reponses and i put on a thread "god damn lazy aliens" and left yeh thats wat a real one line response is and i payed the price i got points deducted but heck you live and learn lol

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Its ironic that you got warned for taking up too little space while I got warned for quoting 5 lines.

It wouldn't bother me but that is less than the completely blank space below everyone's post.

Theyve be better off redesigning the forum so 1 post doesnt take up the whole page and then we wouldn't have to worry about space. Literally over half the space in threads is taken up with blank space for me.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
You guys are funny. Uh Oh, I don't have anything else to say. Maybe I shouldn't post on this thread cause I am out of words already!

Sometimes I just want to make a quick comment and the more I try to force more words the more obvious it becomes that I am not that good at expressing myself.

Like now!!!

Thanks for the smile

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
ats would like you to save the "one liners " for the bars. entienda?

snake on a plane!

[edit on 23-8-2006 by elitegamer23]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The entire "one line post" bit cracks me up, considering that we have a word counter to keep us from making too long a post. I think a little descrtion by the Mods is in order here. If the post is pertinate to the subject and conveys an answer or an idea I see no problem with it. I think the original intent was to prevent things like "me too" answers or some smart mouth insults.

An example of what I mean would be.

Someone asking "What type of aircraft was supposed to have crashed into the Pentagon?" and you respond with "A Boeing 757." shouldn't get you a hassle. If you would have responded "Google it yourself, you moron." that should get you a penalty.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
Theyve be better off redesigning the forum so 1 post doesnt take up the whole page and then we wouldn't have to worry about space.

It's not just a space issue.
It's the flow of the discussion issue. You make a short, one-liner:
"Dude, I just used my last WATS vote for you"

That detracts from the discussion. It is like interrupting people when they speak.
Whereas, a legitimate, but short, question, is not a one-liner and add to the topic.

Just like quoting the entire post directly above you is a waste of space and a distraction from the flow of the topic.
Both are warnable an very easy to avoid.

Use common sense and good manners.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I agree. When a member needs a question answered, there's no reason to bulk it up with nonsense to keep from getting a warning. Likewise, sometimes one word says more than volumes ever could. Sometimes, it's worth twenty points to do it your way.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Grady I just posted a positive response, short and sweet to your comment.
Got a stern warning for it. So now I'm going to be a bit verbose and flesh out
my response to abide with the "one line Rule"

What are points for if not to use them, even if it is a penality?

Do edits count as another line?

[edit on 23-8-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
If you do the crime, you have to pay the fine.

A stitch in time, saves nine.

A rolling stone gathers no moss.

If you lie down with dogs, you'll get up with fleas.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Get my drift?

[edit on 2006/8/23 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
And, Grady, if all those sentences are off topic, well, I've been known to give a one-liner--which is really for any off-topic post or alternately to post this:
Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
All I am suggesting, is that mods read the one lined post, and if it is on topic and not hindering the topic at all (like my one lined post), then nobody should be deducted. I don't know how that is not fair.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
And, Grady, if all those sentences are off topic, well....

Au contraire, DTOM. The first sentence very germaine to the topic and the following lines complete the thought.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
But, that's just it.
Why bog down the discussion with crap when all it does is get the topic off balance.
Would you make all those unnecessary remarks IRL?

I see members trying to be clever and make their statement look like it is NOT a one-liner.
But if the shoe fits...........

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Well yes, I would, but then I often speak in abstractions. Consequently, most people have no idea what I'm talking about. Sometimes that's a blessing, but more often, it's a curse.

That's the story of my life.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   

But, that's just it.
Why bog down the discussion with crap when all it does is get the topic off balance.

I see members trying to be clever and make their statement look like it is NOT a one-liner.
But if the shoe fits...........

Not all one lined responses are crap though.

Like that above ^. Why do I have to ELABORATE on that one sentence? It is a response, simple. This is what I don't understand. The purpose for this rule is to stop responses like "haha I know". Or "me too". But how is a question portending to the topic a reason to be deducted? Can you explain that to me?

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
You need to address specific warns to the mod who issued the warn.
I don't know who it was and cannot speak for that mod.
I suggest a u2u.
If you get no result or prefer, then a compliant which is seen by all staff members.

Posting your frustrations here in BBQ may not be the most efficient way to get the answer you seek.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
Well the idea is that you shouldnt be posting anything if its as small as one line in size.

Waste of space, and it usually means you dont have much to contribute with that one line.

OK. But I suggest that posts having a non itellectual content that doesn't require any analytical response be sent to the trash bin or to the relevant BTS section.

Some guys want to post questions just for the heck of it and get a few brownie points by doing so.

What do you answer for the question 'Who's going to win Iran or the US?'
The answer is either 'Iran' or 'the US'. A one word answer!

If the question was 'I think the US would win the war due to the following reasons......
Any reasons for thinking otherwise?' So now we have a discussion at hand and no one worders or one line wonders.

And needless to say, there are umpteen threads on the same who's-going-to-win- topic, US/Israel/Iran etc etc. Why another one to add to the agony of venturing on the beaten path again?