It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enhanced "Ignore User" Feature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
It would be neat if you had a sliding scale of some sort where you could:

1) "Consider ignoring user" and that person becomes yellow flagged to you that their behavior has been annoying by a yellow flag symbol

2) "Warn of ignoring" and that person becomes red flagged to you, they recieve a PM letting them know which comment caused you to red flag them. Their messages still appear in your threads.

3) "Black flag warning" when the user posts their name still shows up on the thread, but none of their comments appear unless you click on something that opens their thoughts. Specific forum mods should always be alerted at this level

4) "Absolute ignore" users name does not even appear to you and when a threshold number of members "absolutely ignore" someone the user would then have to reapply for membership and their ip is logged etc.

I try not to use the ignore feature on anyone right now because I don't remember everyones name and would hate to excommunicate someone having a bad day.

I tend to try to use both positive and negative reinforcement with others and I think the same type of sliding scale would be useful for commending users "way above" etc.

of course this would require some databasing (sql maybe) and some c++. I couldn't imgine it taking up too much space though on the server or taking to long to write, albiet I am no programmer.

sri Oracle

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I like your idea, however the idea of contacting the member whom you are ignoring is a no no in my mind. Only going to create tension, if you wish to ignore somebody then go for it.

I don't think Mod's need to be made aware when a member wishes to ignore another member as well.

Other than that, I do like your idea.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I like some of your ideas but it would probably take a lot of work for S.O. and others ,when the simple solution is if you don't want to read a members post then ignore it.

Just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
How about a feature that blocks all those 1 line posts that aren't supposed to be allowed but litter just about every thread we have of late.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I have never put another member on ignore, and I can't see any reason that I ever would.

If someones behaviour gets to the point that I find it offensive I click the complain button and let the Mods know. The staff on ATS always acts fast to take care of the problem, and they usually send a thank-you u2u for pointing out the problem.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I have never put another member on ignore, and I can't see any reason that I ever would.

Same here. It makes no sense to me. Ignore someone so you can't see what they post and you may miss what others are responding to. If you don't want to see what somebody posts in a thread, just skip over it.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I agree with the two above me...

I also do not ignore anyone. I think the button should go altogether. If you dont want to respond to someone then just dont. Ignoring someone altogether only hurts the ignorer. After all you never know when one of the ignored are going to come around. The Ignorer may miss out of information. Not to mention if alot of other posters ARE acknowledging the ignoree then the flow of the thread gets messed up for the ignorer as well.

If you guys dont want to get rid of it... then just change it to "Ignorant" button instead....

just my $.02

thank you for your time,
Tone.

[edit on 8/23/2006 by TONE23]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
How about, you just click the ignore under mah name and get it over it?

sincerely,

lys "teh" sloppy poster

slop slop sloppy lys

[edit on 23-8-2006 by Lysergic]

(Mod edit: Extra edit tags trimmed by fascist censor. --Majic)

[edit on 8/23/2006 by Majic]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Wow, how can you suggest that?

Dont we have enough hard feelings around here every day? That would cause some real problems here.

Either ignore or dont ignore. I chose not to, i like to know what people say about me at all times.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I actually have a healthy "ignore" list myself as I liken to the rediculously good feature to say, shutting the window. Accordingly, who doesn't have that fear of suddenly being ignored and like all fears, it is a healthy and just fear that keeps everyone in line.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
(winks) @ risitar.

Censorship is for fascists :p

I have nobody ignored. much

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Abort, Retry, Ignore?

When I first got here, I played various drama games with ignore: "I'm ignoring you. I can't hear you now. La la la la la. Did somebody say something? Sorry, couldn't hear it because you're on ignore", ad nauseam.

Coming here from a decidedly right-wing political board, there was a bit of culture shock for me, to say the least: "What? You mean not everybody wants America to rule the world like God says we should? What's their problem? Where's the ignore button?"

At one point I complained that the ignore list had a limit -- because I reached it (it's ten).

It took a while, but somewhere along the line I realized that not only did people not have to agree with me, but that I really don't mind if someone else has wildly different opinions from mine.

I started to figure out that it's normal and expected for people who live in different countries and cultures to have different opinions about things.

On ATS, we have members from all over the world. Here members in Lebanon, for example, can talk directly with members in Israel. Members in Iran can talk to members in the U.S., members in China can talk to members in Taiwan, etc.

Needless to say, such members are likely to disagree on a few things, but at least they can talk about it here.

The Golden Rule

The key to making discussion possible among people with strongly different opinions is adherence to the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use.

Members who post in accordance with the T&C are on solid ground and protected here, regardless of what their opinions might otherwise be. Yes, there are opinions that aren't permitted (such as "I want to kill you"), but on the issues, the T&C are neutral.

To the extent we all honor the T&C, ours is a community where members can speak honestly about the issues without fear of abuse or reprisal.

That's a powerful formula for discussion!

Nonetheless, it's certainly possible for other members to "push your buttons" now and then, and when that happens, the ignore feature is there to help you avoid violating the T&C.

But if you do see a genuine T&C violation, rather than hitting the ignore button, I recommend submitting a complaint with a link to the post and a description of the specific nature of the violation.

That way, instead of ignoring real problems, we can solve them.

And hopefully eliminate the need for the ignore button altogether.

[edit on 8/23/2006 by Majic]

new topics

top topics

join