It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinion on String Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 02:26 PM
link   
What do you guys think about the String Theory? I hear we are making good progress, is that true?
Can we prove the existence of Strings in our lifetime?

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I haven't heard much about it, but from what I hear, it makes sense.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   
if you are in the uk turn to channel 4

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 02:44 PM
link   
its on Channel 4 now, UK TV, very interesting

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 02:54 PM
link   
www.channel4.com...

this is a link for tonights programme

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Thats very interesting and seems to make some sense to me.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 06:06 PM
link   
on this thread?please?

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigsage
on this thread?please?

Sorry can't help you there, I'm as lost as you are, try the link below Iam too lazy to read it.

String Theory Official Website

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
its a theory that all things are now strings and no longer particles, which is another theory used to discount the father of all creation...

well, i would believe that all things are and differ depending uppon the observer, better observations more complex things that are...

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Thanks, you have made what String Theory is to one in billion men who are ignorant.
I vaguely remember my astronomy lecturer saying that space is made up of 90 some percent dark matter and it is the same thing as strings.
Am I right?

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 06:36 PM
link   
String theory has caused a great amount of "tension" amongs all the fashionable physicists of the world (if you recognized the pun, advance to the head of the class).

A fine summary of string theory can be found here: superstringtheory.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 06:52 PM
link   
the tension between opposite "things" is the matrix that we construct reality from

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I personally love the idea of string theory. the concept of 8 different dimensions really gets my attention. unfortunately, the lack of provability of the theory at this point is a big stumbling block. it sounds plausible enough to me, but it'll be just a theory until someone can actually prove the existance of strings.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigsage
its a theory that all things are now strings and no longer particles, which is another theory used to discount the father of all creation...

well, i would believe that all things are and differ depending uppon the observer, better observations more complex things that are...

actually, string theory doesn't hurt the creator. a word is a string. in the beginning was the word. (genesis is the least corrupt chapter of the good book in my obviously uneducated heathen opinion.)
sounds are vibrations. which are, of course, also strings. and then there's all those harp playin' angels. the trumpets of jericho. and, sacred geometry(in particular, the 'flower of life' symbol).

a sequence of events is a string of events. sine waves, describe the spinning of a sphere. that's all she wrote!

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I've talked about the subject before with a mathematician who told be that String-theory is too old and isn't so great anymore. It's being replaced by m-theory: see www.damtp.cam.ac.uk....

Although I have an interest in this, I haven't had time to study it recently... and,man, I really wouldn't want to study all the maths... quantum field theory is bad enough!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I think its bunk. The rest comes on tonight.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I thought M-theory was the unification of all 5 different string theories. And there was a great string theory "NOVA" on last night, kpbs.
8 dimensions? I thought string provided for an extra 6 spatial dimensions. And as far I know, we're no closer to "proving" or finding evidence for string theory than we were 20 years ago. Yes, the concept of string theory provides for the existence of multiple parallel dimensions. (that was a weird concept - the string mem-brane) But I'm confused on one area - does the concept of a "graviton" (and the idea that gravity affects multiple dimensions) come out of string theory, or is it just some random attempt to use string theory to justify the weakness of gravity?
It seems to me that the more physicists try and fill the holes in this theory, the more fantastic it gets.
And no, string theory doesn't explain away God. An endless process has to be started somewhere. order doesn't come out of chaos.

new topics

top topics

join