It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PCI card outside of pc case? A PCI bridge of some sort?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Let's say I want to use my PCI soundcard outside of my pc case. Is their some kind of device, like a pci bridge, hooked-up to a ribbon, that will let me do that?

Is there a way to hook-up a PCI card not directly to the motherboard, but maybe a foot away? Maybe connected by a ribbon or something?

(I ask for a pc Mod I am thinking of)

Is it a 'riser card' or 'expansion card'?

If I do need a 'riser card', would it degrade the performance of a graphics or audio card?

So what's the differences between a 'riser card' and an 'expansion card'? And would either one enable you to use a soundcard outside of a pc case?

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I don't know This stuff anymore.
I have become Brand name preconfigured serverman!!

I kinda miss building my own machines.

But!
I have asked a friend of mine, who builds some pretty hot gaming boxes, overclocking, modding. etc...

I post his answer shortly..

Space

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Here is my buddy's response

Flexible riser card.
www.startech.com...

Also do a search on flexi-pci risers.

I would imagine there are length limitations as there would be in any device that
is delivering data at a high rate. Crosstalk, standing waves, and interference could be problems.

I also noticed that regular PCI can be longer than PCIX, I could not find a PCI-e

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Groovy spacedoubt! Thanks a lot! If this pc mod comes together like I envision it in my head, I'll give you props!

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
You shouldn't do that. PC cards are internal, not supposed to be outside of the box.

The metal case of a computer, the chassis is designed to reflect radio waves that could cause malfunction, therefore everything must be inside the chassis. Actually, a cassis with plastic windows, or UV lights inside can also cause malfunction. So you'd better use cables to connect to your sound card, there are several external devices for soundcards that come with it, or you can buy it.

If you are a musician , your invstment may head to a Creative Sound Blaster Platinum ZS, or equivalent. I'm sure you want to see that card INSIDE your PC. :-)

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Groovy spacedoubt! Thanks a lot! If this pc mod comes together like I envision it in my head, I'll give you props!

You're sure welcome curme..
My buddy only asks that you post a pic of whatever mod you come up with!

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

You're sure welcome curme..
My buddy only asks that you post a pic of whatever mod you come up with!

I decided just to use cables to extend everything, hopefully it works out like I hope it will! Here's a worklog of what I am trying to attempt: forums.bit-tech.net...

Thanks spacedoubt!

top topics

join