It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA to close libraries due to "Budget" shortages.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Due to budget cuts by the executive agency management for the Environmental Protection Agency felt it was necessary to close several of their libraries across 15 Midwestern states on or before September 30th. This same agency says that they will "digitize" the "physical" papers. However, there have been no funds allocated or appropriated for this massive task.

www.commondreams.org
“The central fiction is EPA’s promise to digitize its entire massive collection, making everything available online someday, without any dedicated funds amid sharply reduced budgets,” stated PEER Executive Director Jeff Ruch, noting EPA studies show the cuts will actually lose money due to additional professional staff time that will have to be spent tracking down research materials now assembled by the libraries. “The idea that library closures are a purely budgetary move is increasingly hard to swallow.”

A key tenet of the new plan is that all research requests will be centrally controlled. The plan calls for “discouraging establishment of divisional or branch mini-libraries” so that central staff can “have knowledge of [the] location” of all research materials. In a mass letter of protest signed this June by representatives for 10,000 EPA scientists and researchers, more than half the total agency workforce, employees contend that the library plan is designed to “suppress information on environmental and public health-related topics.”

“What is going on inside EPA is positively Orwellian,” concluded Ruch.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is really odd... i mean.... really really odd... and as you've read... loads of the EPA's own employees feel that there is something wrong with this... considering how bad new storms might be this is worrisome... I mean if funds had actually been allocated for the digitization process i wouldn't be as worried about this. But, considering our governments penchant for for procrastination and forgetfulness.

While im not shouting fire, I am defintally a lil concerned with the smoke im seeing on the horizon. What do you all think?

[edit on 22-8-2006 by Elsenorpompom]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
More dumb the people will be, more powerful the police state will be and more easier it will be put in place as it is already. I mean, WTF. What's the link between EPA and librairies? Is this just a reason to close librairies? The books already are in paper, what's the matter? If you don't have the money to digitalize everything, don't do it until you get the money and until then, don't close the librairies.

Or because of the popularity of internet? But don't say it's because they don't have enough paper, this is just plain stupid.

[edit on 22-8-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The deliberate dumbing down of the nation's citizenry...

You can't be too careful...someone might actually want to research the stuff!

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well, this is spookily oddly familiar..

Maybe they figure there's no reason to have libraries in the mid-west,
since more people in those states are religious, and don't believe
in science.
Of course if that's the matter, they could'nt tell the truth about it.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Well, this is spookily oddly familiar..

Maybe they figure there's no reason to have libraries in the mid-west,
since more people in those states are religious, and don't believe
in science.
Of course if that's the matter, they could'nt tell the truth about it.

Yeah all I can say by your name and attitude is your anti white/redneck.
Your a not very nice person who has been brainwashed by the establishment.
I'm a geologist & religious!

The real reason the Gov't is doing this is cause the Mid-West is producing the largest threat to the Gov't by using it's own laws against it and actually researching law, court cases, & history! The Montanna Freemen, Ruby Ridge, Waco. People who actually figured out what was going on and tried to make the world better for all Americans. They got killed or arrested on trumped up charges.
The Montana Freemen win everycase in Court! Thus they got charged with 2200 counts with a six week period between trials for each count to keep them locked up and labelled terrorists for standing up against corruption.

[edit on 23-8-2006 by BattleofBatoche]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   
B.O.B you need to show your personal inteligence by refraining from pointing a finger and name calling. Noone has done this toward you, and you should be adult enough to not do it to others.

please remember to:
Post unto others as you would have them post unto you

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BattleofBatoche
Yeah all I can say by your name and attitude is your anti white/redneck.
Your a creep!
I'm a geologist & religious!

Excuse me, but where the hell do you get off basing me on my username
and a single post?!

I am not anti-white, as I am caucasian myself, and I am not racist in any
way.

Caaling me a creep is an insult, and thereby violates the T&C.

So what, alot of scientists and geologists believe in there respective religions,
as well as science.

And as for my post, it was only an opinion as to why they may be doing so.

EDIT:
Removed quote within quote.

[edit on 8/23/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
please remember to:

Yeah, what she said!

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
B.O.B you need to show your personal inteligence by refraining from pointing a finger and name calling. Noone has done this toward you, and you should be adult enough to not do it to others.

please remember to:

Yes I am sorry! I apologize!

I keep forgetting how fashionable it is to slam white Christians from the midwest.
Blame them for all the world's problems! Forget that the majority of them come from European peasantry, never owned slaves, just wanted to live away from gov't oppression and indentured servitude. My bad. I must be evil!

Please everyone go ahead and blame the poor white farmer! You know they own the World Bank, the IMF, The Bank of International Settlements. You must realize that Bubba is behind the United Nations oil for food scandel!
Don't forget Jebediah & his Amish cousins masterminded the war on terror cause they were disgruntled about them thar' silver bird flyin machines.

Death to political correctness!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   

I keep forgetting how fashionable it is to slam white Christians from the midwest.
Blame them for all the world's problems! Forget that the majority of them come from European peasantry, never owned slaves, just wanted to live away from gov't oppression and indentured servitude. My bad. I must be evil!

I'm not "slamming" anyone, I don't care what color the people are,
or about there geneology, the religiosity exists, that's what I am saying,
not that it's because of white people, or American people, since I am
both of those.

No one accused you of being evil, however you are being a very
frustrating individual.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Don't let this thread get side tracked over my drinking of beer!
The important thing is that the Gov't is closing libraries to prevent the people from learning & researching the truth.

I'm sorry for being a jerk!

It really is them against us! Elite versus commoner! NOT white Christians from South Dakota against minorities.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Why does the Environmental Protection Agency have jurisdiction over libraries?

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BattleofBatoche
Why does the Environmental Protection Agency have jurisdiction over libraries?

From what I understand of the article, it's not normal libraries,
it's there own special EPA libraries.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Welcome to the future. Where everything is widely available on a computer. I might add, there are plenty of automated systems that can digitize the books automatically. You don't need to have someone retype every book, that is unheard of. Mostly all books were printed by computer to begin with, I would imagine these book are already contained in a storage device, and hidden away in an archive of some sort.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Another fine example how knowledge suppression is becoming the norm in our growing Orwellian culture. Bush budget cuts say pollution no longer seen as a concern...amazing.

10,000 EPA SCIENTISTS PROTEST LIBRARY CLOSURES peer.org

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Both (SR JR) Bush administrations turned an ignorant eye towards pollution...
but then, both administrations owed much to the destroyers of our environment such as
GE (bringing pollution to your life)
Dow (blessers of toxic boobs everyhwere)
and so many others... including the very friendly oil industry...

Also... if you look at the measures taken in regards to restraining the EPAs tools of effectivness, the Bush family have handicapped them...

In fact... thanks to the Bushes, we now have the equivalent of a mentally deficient and physically retarded "doorman" to prevent pollution...

all it can do is open doors, and give bad looks to the polluters that walk by...

so is it any wonder that our poor disabled EPA doorman is being told to file all his knowledge and forget it?

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Hey yall... just bumped up this thread with some new information.....

Common Dreams
EPA Enforcement Threatened by Library Closures
Prosecutions at Risk from Loss of Timely Access to Key Documents

WASHINGTON - August 28 - Prosecution of polluters by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency “will be compromised” due to the loss of “timely, correct and accessible” information from the agency’s closure of its network of technical libraries, according to an internal memo released today by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER). EPA enforcement staff currently rely upon the libraries to obtain technical information to support pollution prosecutions and to track the business histories of regulated industries.

In a memo prepared last week by the enforcement arm of EPA, called the Office of Enforcement and Compliance (OECA), agency staff detailed concerns about the effects of EPA’s plans to close many of its libraries, box up the collections and eliminate or sharply reduce library services. Each year, EPA’s libraries handle more than 134,000 research requests from its own scientific and enforcement staff. The memo states:

“If OECA is involved in a civil or criminal litigation and the judge asks for documentation, we can currently rely upon a library to locate the information and have it produced to a court house in a timely manner. Under the cuts called for in the plan, timeliness for such services is not addressed.”

I heard a bunch of people wondering whether or not EPA libraries (not standard public libraries) were important... and whether or not this Government would be able to efficiently digitize important data quickly.... as I said this is a bump with some new information... personally I believe that by removing important information and making it that much more difficult for the appropriate agencies to receive vitally important and up to date Ecological and weather information the Federal Government may be attempting to allow another Katrina like incident... or perhaps even worse.... in case another incident like this happens there is already a fall back explanation for ineptitude and failure....

I must say in closing that when i refer to the Federal Government I am speaking of not only the Administration but the Legislature and the numerous bureaucracies that are supposed to keep our country running....

new topics

top topics

join