It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An open apology to ATS.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I’d like to issue an apology to the Admin, Staff and members of ATS. I wronged each of you in a post a few days ago and was totally out of line with the message and meaning of this board.

In that post I told a member, TrueAmerican that he deserved to be killed. There is no excuse for such behavior here, especially from a staff member, so it would be pointless for me to try and give one.

Many people, myself included, were shocked that I would make such a statement. I’m the old peace loving hippie type that used to sign all his posts with, “Love and light.” Now I’m wondering where that old hippie went. I’m going to take a few days to meditate in the garden while burning some incense and see if I can find him.

I screwed up. I hope you will forgive me for my outburst and I give you my word it won’t happen again.

wupy

[edit on 22-8-2006 by mrwupy]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Hey, mrwupy, if you said this totally out of character statement - you deserve time in the garden with the incense; FOR YOURSELF, not for punishment.

Love and Light to you...find your wonderful self!!! Because we love your wonderful self!

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
it takes a real man to admit he made a mistake. i respect you for that. peace

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Everyone gets lost in the moment from time to time m8,The difference here is you took the time to apolagise in public.
I applaud your conduct well done and now back to work

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I'll second that.

It takes guts to stand there and put hands in the air and admit "My Bad".

Im new here, and really enjoy it, and to see the people who run the boards be open and admit a bad, well appaluse and a realisation of that we all make mistakes. Most of us try not to admit to them as we think it shows weakness.

No it shows real inner strength.

Go hug the grass and the trees for a few days - always makes me feel better.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The Human Touch

Let's not beat around the bush. Here's the thread in question:

Illegal Aliens Killing 25 American Citizens Per Day

Some of the posts mrwupy made in that thread were definitely warnable, and if he weren't a moderator, he probably would have received one or more warnings for them.

But mods can't slap red-flag warns on other mods (probably to prevent warn fights, which actually sound kind of fun). Instead, we do our best to keep an eye on each other and let each other know when we've done something wrong.

We're not machines, just people who like to discuss various alternative topics on the Internet and also want to help keep the forums running smoothly.

Being human, we all have our hot buttons and some things -- often unexpectedly -- can set us off.

It happens all the time with members in our community, and we try to deal with it as best we can.

The Mod Behind The Badge

Moderators are members too, and we are welcome to share our opinions on the issues like anyone else. However, we are still moderators, and as such we are expected to serve as good examples to our fellow members.

Also, no matter how much we try to distinguish between personal opinions and official duties, everything we post has the word "Moderator" next to it, and let's face it: if a mod goes off on you, that is intimidating as hell, and disturbing.

Just as with police officers or anyone else in a position of trust, there will always be a concern that a person with moderator powers may abuse that trust and use their powers inappropriately.

I haven't seen any evidence of abuse of moderator powers in this case.

Rather, mrwupy's misbehavior was that of a member lashing out at a fellow member.

Closing Ranks

The ATS staff operates as a team. We back each other up constantly, and are always consulting each other for advice and assistance as we do our jobs.

This can lead to the perception that we will tend to "close ranks" and try to cover things up when one of us makes a mistake.

That may be true in one sense: when one of us makes an honest mistake, we try to work things out without a lot of fanfare. If a mod accidentally hits the wrong button on a member, for example, we'll go out of our way to make things right -- and try not to make a big public production out of it.

In a case like this, we would also normally tend to prefer to not make a big deal of it publicly. However, mrwupy knows he was out of line, and has taken the step of saying so publicly.

It's his call. Maybe a bit dramatic, but I support it.

Our Best

Moderators are falsely accused of all sorts of heinous crimes all the time, and we get used to it. But when we really do something wrong, the measure of our integrity is how we handle it.

I am very comfortable with mrwupy's integrity. He may not be perfect, but he's an excellent moderator with a solid track record of acting with the best interests of the community at heart.

So I see this as an incident to learn from and move on, not a sign that a good mod has gone bad.

It's not easy being a mod. The stress can build up in strange and unexpected ways, and find an outlet at the most unexpected times.

So once in a while, a mod may lose it. But as long as that doesn't involve abusing moderator powers and doesn't become a habit, I don't see that as anything to lose sleep over.

mrwupy screwed up. He apologized. And I'm confident that he has not and will not abuse his position as a moderator.

We may not be perfect, but we do our best, and though any of us can stumble now and then, our best has to be good enough.

I think it is.

P.S. ATS takes all allegations of staff misconduct seriously. If you believe that any staff member has behaved inappropriately, please be sure to submit a complaint. The senior staff reviews all such complaints and if we determine that a staff member has been acting improperly, we will take action. ATS cannot function if members don't have confidence in the integrity of the staff, and we know it.

[edit on 8/22/2006 by Majic]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Wouldn 't sweat it in the least MrWupy. Jesus was very cool, but even he lost his temper when he drove the money changers from the temple ... D'ya honestly think you can do better than him?

I enjoy your posts and the relaxed manner you take issues in hand. So ... Occasionally, you feel justified in whacking at the money changers, metaphorically speaking, of course. I don't think many of us could do better than the moderators that are currently manning the ramparts.. er ... That includes you.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
You just said what all of us think from time to time.

Just because you lost it verbally, dosent mean you lost the
"love and light" in your soul!

Peace and Love my brother!

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
In that post I told a member, TrueAmerican that he deserved to be killed.

I didn't see the post in question, but I can't help but wonder whether you extended your apology directly to him?

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Sounds like you and that ol'e hippy really need to find each other ASAP!
Take all the the time you need. Worse thing is we all are probably guilty of spending too much time online, and not enough out of doors where we are really in harmony.

He is waing in that garden for you Wup, what's that....I hear disco jive.....

ATS will be here, it ain't going any where nor awil it ever. And don't worry about the mess, I'll clean up.

*Pulls out a large pen and slides on shades.*

*Clears throat*

If I could just get all your attention...

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Dude...

If you didn't make mistakes, you wouldn't be human.

If you didn't take responsibility for your mistakes, you wouldn't be a man.

Looks like everything is as it should be.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I must say, to make an open public apaology, especially when not all
of us even knew about the incident, that not only shows you got,
as my grandmother would have put it "muy grande cajones".

It also shows your an honest and honourable person.

Whoever chose for you to get modship, sure knew how to pick well.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I missed the original thread MrWupy, makes me wonder what he said to get you so hot under the collar, you are usually pretty laid back here. From one Hippie to another, I can assure you I am no less apt to go off on a tantrum from time to time, it happens to all of us. The apology is a real touch of class though.

While we're on the subject, I'd like to apologise to Majic for my tone in a recent heated exchange, he probably knows what I'm talking about.
I still don't like you Majic, but I am willing to apologise for conveying that sentiment on the board.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 02:42 AM
link   
We are entering trying times. The pressure builds, but it is up to us to polish our intentions. You are that much far ahead of the curve, for you have openly learned from a mistake. Mistakes make us better people, if we have the desire to grow from them. I am happy for your unfoldment. You are a great moderator, keep up the good work.
AAC

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
As one or two people have already said, you need guts to stand up and admit to a mistake.

And I couldn't even spot the post in question. I wonder if I would admit to something like this? yeah, probably would . .

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Hey mrwupy/

We all do, say, or write something that sometimes goes without thinking!
Knowing or unknowingly!

I’m the old peace loving hippie type that used to sign all his posts with, “Love and light.”

Here's to you and ''Love and Light!''

An all round, nice guy!
helen

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Very admirable of you Sir.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   
You stood up & you apologised that takes a real man to do that.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Good man. Although from what I read, you had a right to be angry. Some things aren't worth tolerating

Blatent rascism is one of them.

S

[edit on 23/8/06 by SteveR]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Hey man its all good but maybe yours was better
while out there in the garden digging keep one eye open for jimmy Hoffa that mystery driving me crazy

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join