It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If true, this is a MAJOR concern for us all. Van Allen belt TAMPERING!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Just figured since you all may just be interested. I found the below links and figured they would make the best teasers for what is available on the net. Now if any of you are able, and have time for pursueing this, I am more than open to starting a new project geared towards specific research goals.

Earth does have a layer of rapidly moving charged particles known as the Van Allen belt, which is trapped by Earth's magnetic field in a doughnut-shaped region surrounding the equator.
THE ENVIRONMENT OF SPACE

The spacecraft had the specific task of mapping the Van Alen radiation belts at higher inclinations than that achieved by US satellites of the time (60 degrees vs 30 degrees latitude).
Elektron-B

He had predicted that military
>significant effects would be produced by injecting
> charged particles from nuclear explosions into near space to create artificial
>Van Allen belts.
Nukes and the Van Allen belts

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Ok heres some thing I have found, and I am madder than a cobra locked in a shaking box....

www.ratical.org...

Its a longish read, but to ignore it is to endanger our future generations - yes it is that simple. no scare mongering needed here. This is serious stuff their playing with.

Two short passages from the above link.

US Military planed to create a "telecommunications shield" in the ionosphere, reported in 13-20 August 1961, Keesings Historisch Archief (K.H.A.). This shield would be created "in the ionosphere at 3,000 km height, by bringing into orbit 350,000 million copper needles, each 2-4 cm long (total weight 16 kg), forming a belt 10 km thick and 40 km wide, the needles spaced about 100 m apart." This was designed to replace the ionosphere "because telecommunications are impaired by magnetic storms and solar flares". The US planned to add to the number of copper needles if the experiment proved to be successful. This plan was strongly opposed by the International Union of Astronomers.

"Starfish made a much wider belt (than Project Argus) that extends from low altitude out past L=3 (i.e. three earth radiuses or about 13,000 km above the surface of the earth)" Later in 1962, the USSR undertook similar planetary experiments, creating three new radiation belts between 7,000 and 13,000 km above the earth. According to the Encyclopaedia, the electron fluxes in the lower Van Allen Belt have changed markedly since the 1962 high-altitude nuclear explosions by the US and USSR, never returning to their former state. According to American scientists, it could take many hundreds of years for the Van Allen Belts to restabilise at their normal levels.

if there ever was a need to stop space tests and weaponisation, this stupidity is it.

mod edit, external quote code

[edit on 24-8-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
if there ever was a need to stop space tests and weaponisation, this stupidity is it.

You got that right, 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000%
Ok, so maybe I over estimated that last number...nah I gigantically under estimated the importance.

Thing is, it is beyond too late, the box has been opened and Pandora is laughing her @$$ off knowing we have had no idea what was going on.

Too bad, because if at any point the people had a choice, do you think we would have done what they were going to do any ways? That alone is probably why we the people are not ever in the know. Because if we were, they would not be able to screw things up. Like any one would vote to screw up spce along with our planet, hey it's all going to hell anyw ays why not...

What is that, we should do as the say and not as they do...sure. Hypocrit is as a hypocrit does.

We don't need no govmentation...
we don't need no "thought control"...
HEY Fedeacher leave those peeps alone...

Close enough right?

Oh hey, I found this too which is 1960's in date, it's just a short peice but has info on where to find out more background stuff. What gets me is this is "approved for public release", as in they wanted it to be known or didn't care if it was.

Abstract : The discussion of satellite charge-up is extended to include the case of satellites in the outer Van Allen belt. Due to the presence of the high energy Van Allen electrons, the electrostatic potentials acquired by satellites in the Van Allen region may be much larger than for the case of ionospheric satellites.
SATELLITE CHARGE-UP IN THE OUTER VAN ALLEN BELT
&
In particular, it now appears likely that instability, and the resulting quasi-linear pitch angle scattering, in the so-called whistler and ion cyclotron modes, limits the fluxes of energetic electrons and ions, respectively, that can be stably trapped in the Van Allen belts, where the Earth's magnetic lines have a dipole mirror configuration. Factors which affect the stability of such waves propagating obliquely to the local magnetic field direction, the velocity space diffusion resulting from their nonlinear growth, and observations relating to the Van Allen belt turbulence are discussed semi-quantitatively.
VAN ALLEN BELT PLASMA PHYSICS

[edit on 23-8-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Found more info and I would really like to make it known that if any one is able to and willing to be apart of a research project, please consider such.

How is this every one?

Five spacecraft located 100 to 1000 kilometers around the Starfish nuclear burst measured the expansion and collapse of the plasma bubble produced in the geomagnetic field and early time injection into the inner Van Allen radiation belt. The bubble evolved into an elongated shape 2400 km along the magnetic field lines and 700 km across in 1.2 seconds and required approximately 15 seconds to collapse. After the magnetic bubble reached its maximum size instabilities and fluting permitted the beta emitting fission fragments to continue to expand. This process injected a flux measuring 2.5x1010 beta/cm2sec into the most intense region of the artificial belt mapped by the Injun I spacecraft 10 hours later.
Van Allen radiation belt

Perhaps a chronology and possable current and future uses for the manipulation of could be included also.

The requirement for satellites in magic orbits to regularly traverse the inner Van Allen belt will call for some mitigating engineering design to ensure that the one-year goal lifetime can be met.
The Myth of the Tactical Satellite

What if... they just made holes for those sats to go through, routes that allow them to traverse the radiation?

[edit on 23-8-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
how exactly are they planning on doing this?

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Here are a couple articles that I thought were intersesting. First one regarding general information on the VAB and why it is a problem for satellites...

en.wikipedia.org...

Removing the belts
The belts are a hazard for artificial satellites and moderately dangerous for human beings and difficult and expensive to shield against.

There is a proposal by the late Robert L. Forward called HiVolt which may be a way to drain at least the inner belt to 1% of its natural level within a year. The proposal involves deploying highly electrically charged tethers in orbit. The idea is that the electrons would be deflected by the large electrostatic fields and intersect the atmosphere and harmlessly dissipate.

Some scientists, however, theorize that the Van Allen belts carry some additional protection against solar wind, which means that a weakening of the belts could harm electronics and organisms, and that they may influence the Earth's telluric current, dissipating the belts could influence the behaviour of Earth's magnetic poles.

And this one the affects of a high altitude nuclear detonation (check out the pictures)...

en.wikipedia.org...

Starfish Prime was a high-altitude nuclear test conducted by the United States of America on July 9, 1962, a joint-effort of the Defense Atomic Support Agency (DASA) and the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC). Launched via a Thor rocket and carrying a W49 thermonuclear warhead (manufactured by Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory) and a Mk4 reentry vehicle, the explosion took place 400 kilometers (250 miles) above Johnston Island in the Pacific Ocean. It was part of Operation Dominic.

[edit on 23-8-2006 by mecheng]

mod edit--apply external quote code

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If they can make a hole in the belt, thent hey can place sats farther out with minimum loss of energy degration. Which obviously is the prefered means of ensureing a good long battery life. But as asked, how, well also obviously with nuclear detonations. How else.

Ok the below link don't exactly have anything to do wiht this thread, but it is the source of the above image, and has a relevent article that may be closer to this threads topic than it first appears. At least in the sence of some questions that were raised.
Lasers Simulate Space Radiation Effects

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
www.ratical.org...

Dude, its all inside this link - every thing from 1958 !!!
when they started this mad ship, right up to present day, STARFISH included.

As for the mad
borrocks of DRAINING the van allen belts to with 99 % of its natural capacity, who ever dreamt this up needs shooting. And fast.

It is PROVEN that the Van Allen belts protect us from massive amounts of solar radiation - draining it for military use would be pointless because we would all be dead any way with no protection bar the earths very shallow atmosphere.

This is madness. And i am sure as hell getting very worried about just who authorised this!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Not to argue with you or anything, but your link has 1991 as the most current for it's recent info. At least one of those links I posted is from 2006, I just forget which one.

Of course they are crazy and probably trying to kill every one. It makes no sence exept that it is another form of mutual destruction. Who needs to make glass lots on earth, lets blast a hole in our solar shields...

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
But as asked, how, well also obviously with nuclear detonations. How else.

Where does it say anything about nuclear detonations? I've read that nuclear detonations have been performed in the past (Starfish Prime) but I thought the Radiation Belt Remediation (RBR) plan would use something along the lines of HAARP.

System tests would employ extremely high-intensity, very low frequency (VLF) radio waves to “flush” particles from radiation belts and dump them into the upper atmosphere.

Here's an older project along the lines of RBR to diminish the radiation in the VAB.

www.space.com...

mod edit to use external quote code, please review this link

Ox

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Could Starfish have been the start of global warming?... Who would want to pull off something like this? Even if they knew the answers they would get from it? This is twisted and insane.. and needs to be stopped...

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
sorry advisor, you beat me to posting so mine was in respone to the poster above you who asked how they would make holes in the van allen belts and ionesphere.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I don't know sounds like a big space version of a jumper cable. I still think useing a nuke sounds far more likely. But that is not a bad idea, um..nukeing it was mentioned in the thread on page one. Some thing about how it would be useful...

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is interesting (regarding the nuclear detonation of Starfish Prime)...

en.wikipedia.org...

While some of the energetic beta particles had followed of the earth's magnetic field and illuminated the sky, other high-energy electrons became trapped in man-made radiation belts around the earth.

In 1963, Brown et al. reported in the Journal of Geophysical Research that Starfish Prime had created a belt of MeV electrons, and Bill Hess reported in 1968 that some Starfish electrons remained for five years. Others reported that radioactive particles from Starfish Prime descended to earth seasonally and accumulated in terrestrial organisms such as fungi and lichens.

I don't know what the objective of Starfish Prime was (other than to create some extreme fireworks), but in regards to the VAB it seems to have made things worse by creating a 'man-made' radiation belt. If the objective of the Radiation Belt Remediation (RBR) plan is to reduce radiation in the VAB to make the environment safer for our satellites, I think a nuclear detonation is probably not a good idea.

These man-made radiation belts eventually crippled one-third of all satellites in low orbit. Seven satellites were destroyed as radiation knocked out their solar arrays or electronics, including the first commercial communication satellite ever, Telstar.

mod edit to use external quote code, please review this link

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Advisor… my apologies. I did not read the original article thoroughly enough. If I’m reading it correctly now, it sounds like…

1. DARPA’s objective is to significantly reduce the radiation in the Van Allan Belts…
2. by blasting it with high-intensity, very low frequency (VLF) radio waves…
3. which would flush the particles from the radiation belts…
4. and dump them into the upper atmosphere to decay over time.

But they want to test the theory first through “a proof of concept demonstration” called “Slight of HAND (High Altitude Nuclear Detonations)” by…

1. Blowing up a nuclear device high in the atmosphere (similar to Starfish Prime).
2. Then using a high-power ground-based source of Very Low Frequency radiation (possibly from HAARP), “propagating through the ionosphere to deflect the trapped radiation deep into the atmosphere.”
3. If that proves valid and cost-effective, space-based demonstrations and tests apparently would follow.

I was confused because the concern seemed to be with the affects of tampering with the VAB not so much the affects of detonating a nuclear bomb in the upper atmosphere. If I'm reading correctly the nuclear bomb is used to place radiation in the upper atmoshphere to test if it can be reduced using HAARP - not to 'blow away' the VAB.

So, really the concern should be over not only the RBR (blasting the radiation out of the VAB) but the testing of it (nuclear detonation in the upper atmosphere).

Just trying to summarize and clarify things for the ‘hard-of-reading’ people like myself.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
OK, if I understand correctly, they may or may not be planning on detonating a nuke for this test. If they did, it would only be to amplify the belt. It seems they are planning to try and use VLF to harness the electrical energy of the belt to provide the power they'd need to actually move the belt.

Cook says he shared with Rodger speculation by QST Contributing Editor Ward Silver, N0AX, to the effect that “the sheer energy needed to accomplish [RBR] would tend to rule it out from the start, and I don’t know where they would erect the necessary antennas.”

Responded Rodger: “This would be true, but they are hoping to rely on some of the non-linear processes in space plasmas, stealing the energy from the radiation belts to get the wave amplitudes high enough. We know this is possible - in theory - as it happens naturally already. We don’t know how easy it will be to get it happening under our control.”

As for why we'd want to do this though, I can see an alternate explanation: not satellite defense but missile defense. We can amplify the belts and their harmful effects on electronics with nukes, so if we had the technology to move them around to serve our purposes and then get them back to where they couldn't hurt us, we could hypothetically use them to ruin the guidance on ICBMs.

And for the record... could we PLEASE refrain from moving the deadly radiation belt closer to Earth? Please?

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
My thoughts to a tee Mr Vagabond.

"Hey this sounds like a good idea dude- lets get tons and tons of charged radioactive particles, flush them from the van allen belts and hey, dude listen to this...lets have them in the upper atmosphere!!"

"FAR outman, we'd blank out ships, planes, missiles, every thing!!"

"Think they'd give us the money and permission to do this like ?"

"Dunno, lets do it any way. See what happens!!"

The above is my imagination, but I'm sorry, after re-reading the first link in my first post, I feel even sicker than i did the first time round.

The van allen belts should stay up there where they belong. Not in our air, not at the edge of our atmosphere, but way way out there!.

Heres a strange thing though after almost a day of surfing for info.

After 2002 when HAARP went fully active, the posting and deliberation seems to have stopped. thats what i find creepy.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Hi, all.

(big s--t eating grin: ON)

This is, in fact, not new.

The guy in the ARRL article is angsting over nothing.

For once, this actually IS a HAARP function. At least, it used to be. Lower magnetosphere electron precipitation was one of the Gakona array's main functions in the first two phases. Well, to be clear, there are the published uses, and then the unpublished ones. Of the unpublished ones, this was one of the biggest. And if you follow along with the guys that are keeping logs of when it runs, you will see that some of them line up with weird events like really bad solar emissions or that magnetar gamma ray burster we had in 2004, or they happen before we put up an STS.

This might be all spooky if it were the first time it was going to happen. But it's already happened many a time before, you just weren't aware of it.

In fact, it's been happening since the 80's. Gakona isn't the only array, although some of the first ones were pretty simplistic.

These days, HAARP isn't the primary means for doing this.

edit: grammar

[edit on 23-8-2006 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This CAN'T possibly be good. The medical field went around yanking everyone's tonsils out at the drop of a hat when I was a kid because tonsils "apparently" didn't serve any purpose. Now they know that they help prevent infections, among other things, and they are loathe to remove them. I'm still educating myself on this topic, so for now I only have an opinion. Us humans are certainly out of our league when it comes to manipulating these forces. I developed hypo-thyroidism last year out of the blue, and my MD said that this disease is practically an epidemic, and is much talked about in the medical field, yet no one can pin-point a cause. She made a referrence to being exposed to a " generally toxic world ". Atmosperic nuclear detonations could be one cause of ailments-it's pretty obvious. This sure seems like a giant game of russian roulette to me. Maybe the ET's suggested this to make their operations easier...
I would enthusiastically join a research team to investigate this. This story could be good for the mainstream media if researched properly. GUY FAWKES, WHERE ARE YOU???

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Cosmo:

mod edit to remove off topic remarks

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join