It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuart Middle School teacher burns U.S. flags in class

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   

A Stuart Middle School teacher has been removed from the classroom after he burned two American flags in class during a lesson on freedom of speech, Jefferson County Public Schools officials said.

Tis is absolutely crazy who in their right mind would do this to motivate children?
I think it is a total disgrace to our country.

Flag Burner

Sorry forgot the link i was so worked up..

[edit on 8/22/2006 by lakewoodrealtor]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It depends on the context. If he was saying something like this:

Looks what our government did to our nation! And then he puts fire to the flag... no?

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
While maybe some do not believe this is right. I personally believe that this ties with the other ultimate in free speech, which is voting. Maybe the kids were too young, but I believe that it was what it was: an example of free speech. Would you prefer:

"Now children, never rebel, never question your government. You must stay in line and work with the rest of us in the hive. That my children, is free speech."

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Surely the freedom the US is regarded for includes the freedom to burn the flag if you want. A flag is just a flag, but the freedom the flag represents should be embraced.

Maybe children aren't the target market, but hey, they let army recruiters into schools. Weighing it up, I support him.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Whatever the context this is inappropriate for school, this is a seventh grade class, there are other ways to show free speech without burning a flag in the middle of the room.

Niteboy, you read them the constitution, and perhaps show well known examples of free speech, you don’t indoctrinate them one way or another.

---------

And WTF do recruiters visiting high schools and universities have to do with burning the flag in school?

[edit on 22-8-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Whatever the context this is inappropriate for school, this is a seventh grade class, there are other ways to show free speech without burning a flag in the middle of the room

What other ways do you suggest WP to show free speech of that degree in a classroom. Diebold polling machines?

Indoctinate them?!? So are you suggesting that only certain political parties burn flags, or what? Please explain. Read them the Constitution, wow what an example of free speech! I'm going to go read the Constitution out front of a Federal Building right now and exercise my right of reading.

Interested in your examples. How about a bake sale for capitalism or a book fair for Coultergeist? We could suggest to them a field trip to the zoo, but I'm afraid they may grow jealous of the monkey's freedom. Dare I mention what will happen if they see the gay giraffes?

[edit on 8/22/06 by niteboy82]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Whatever the context this is inappropriate for school, this is a seventh grade class, there are other ways to show free speech without burning a flag in the middle of the room

My words exactly. This is a awfull hopefully they will burn him

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by lakewoodrealtor

My words exactly. This is a awfull hopefully they will burn him

You're kidding right?

Burn him. That's it, we are going to burn him to show the children the power of free speech and what happens when you use it!

Please don't join the PTA where my sister goes to school.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Perhaps burning the flag in the class room would be the problem I would have. Just for the sake of safety because from what I've seen flags can burn fast. If I was the teacher I would've conducted this outside and burned them. It's protected speech.

I don't see how it is inappropiate for 7th graders. They are what thirteen or fourteen years old? Most I would bet have seen some violent movies, and played some biolent video games. And a burning flag is supposed to be inappropiate for them how?

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Burning the flag is so unpatriotic you have to wonder if this guy has hidden agendas. Nice find Lake.

[edit on 22/8/2006 by kuhl]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by kuhl
Burning the flag is so unpatriotic you have to wonder if this guy has hidden agendas. Nice find Lake.

You fixed it, I was like

It is not unpatriotic, but for the sake of this being turned into politics, how about we scoot over to PTS and find a thread and raise it from the dead? Hidden agendas!

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

Originally posted by kuhl

You fixed it, I was like

It is not unpatriotic, but for the sake of this being turned into politics, how about we scoot over to PTS and find a thread and raise it from the dead? Hidden agendas!

You know me

Fix it quick to hide hidden agendas lol

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
What other ways do you suggest WP to show free speech of that degree in a classroom. Diebold polling machines?

Look above, show them LMK’s speech, show them lawful protests if you want, give examples of peaceful expression in songs or paintings etc… Why do you assume that I am interested in trying to indoctrinate kids, because I’m against burning a flag in a middle school class as part of a curriculum?
And BTW when you want to discuss the topic I’m here, but you should know that smart ass comments don’t interest me much.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
You can burn a flag if you want in my opinion, but the teacher probably broke a bunch of fire codes at a school. So the person should be suspended.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23Why do you assume that I am interested in trying to indoctrinate kids, because I’m against burning a flag in a middle school class as part of a curriculum?

Because you said, this so I asked what you meant:

Niteboy, you read them the constitution, and perhaps show well known examples of free speech, you don’t indoctrinate them one way or another.

And BTW when you want to discuss the topic I’m here, but you should know that smart ass comments don’t interest me much.

Point noted, but as it may fire you up to get smart comments, it fires me up to see others suggesting that he be burned and the like. It's indeed a fiery issue, but it's also a serious issue. Fair is fair, I will play nice.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The late Bill Hicks once did a sketch with this.

Bill says "I personally do not believe in burning the flag. It's a personal belief, but I'll tell you something, I think people are overreacting, oh, just a little bit."

American Patriot says "Hey buddy, my daddy died for that flag."

Bill says "Well, I bought mine. Sorry. You know they sell them at K-Mart for three bucks, you're in, you're out, brand new flag, no violence was necessary.

American Patriot says "Hey buddy, my daddy died in the Korean war for that flag."

Bill says "What a coincidence - my flag was made in Korea!"

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Why would it be bad to ``indoctrinate`` them to be aware of their rights and to protect them no matters what? It's the most important thing in this country and in their lives, much more important than crappy religions as they are indoctrinate in by their parents.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
he should've just reversed the flag and then drawn a huge anarchy on it, ILO.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Why would it be bad to ``indoctrinate`` them to be aware of their rights and to protect them no matters what?

I never said it was bad to make them aware of their constitutional rights; I just disagree with the way in which this teacher chose to go about it. If you read my posts you will see that I listed several ways in which the teacher could have taught them about their rights including freedom of speech.

Originally posted by Vitchilo
It's the most important thing in this country and in their lives, much more important than crappy religions as they are indoctrinate in by their parents.

Yup, our rights are important, and accordingly parents have several rights when it comes to how they want to raise their children. But this is starting to get a bit off topic.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by lakewoodrealtor

A Stuart Middle School teacher has been removed from the classroom after he burned two American flags in class during a lesson on freedom of speech, Jefferson County Public Schools officials said.

Tis is absolutely crazy who in their right mind would do this to motivate children?
I think it is a total disgrace to our country.

Flag Burner

Sorry forgot the link i was so worked up..

[edit on 8/22/2006 by lakewoodrealtor]

The disgrace was that he was removed from the classroom, a complete overreaction when a quiet word not to do it again would have done the job.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join