It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rice Scandal You Probably Haven't Heard About

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   

www.biologydaily.com..." border=0>

US under pressure over modified rice

The US Department of Agriculture on Monday faced mounting international calls for action after admitting on Friday that traces of an unauthorised variety of genetically modified rice had been found in commercial supplies.

South Korean officials joined their counterparts from the European Union in seeking more information from the US Department of Agriculture on test results after Bayer CropScience, a unit of the German chemicals group, discovered the contaminated supplies on July 31.

Mike Johanns, US agriculture secretary, has said no health risks are associated with the GM strain, but the fallout could hit US farmers amid calls for exports to be halted. The $1.5bn-a-year industry already faces intensifying competition from overseas producers, particularly in Asia.

More...

See also:

Japan bans 'contaminated' US rice

And:

GM contamination warning triggers call for ban on US rice

The contamination source is apparently a trial GM rice called LLRICE601, produced by the German-based biotechnology company Bayer. The rice is engineered to withstand the herbicide glufosinate, but it has not been approved for human consumption anywhere in the world.

According to Bayer the GM rice is "present in some samples of commercial rice seed at low levels" even though field testing ended five years ago.

More...

Another GM love story....

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
That sucks. Rice is the primary grain I eat. I don't eat potatoes and I seldom eat other types of grain.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I get my rice imported from Asia. I dont buy American rice.

They have the best, why would anyone buy that cereal-like crap they sell here??

Arent THEY the huge exporters of rice???

[edit on 22-8-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
That does bother me. Why in the world can't we just have normal food? I make it a point to try and get everything I purchase in a store only if there is a "No GMO's" label somewhere. However when it comes to rice, I am with dgtempe, I get mine from an Asian market. I just wish they would leave our food alone, and when stuff like this happens, put it on the news. Seems that these are the things that never make it up there though.

As always, thanks for another heads up, Loam.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I have to say i thought this was about condoleeza RIce and Bush maybe running off together...

Nothing would surprise me.

Anyway,

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I thought of same.

Originally posted by dgtempe
I have to say i thought this was about condoleeza RIce and Bush maybe running off together...

Anyway,

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by netscape

Originally posted by dgtempe

Anyway,

I thought of same.

Actually, I already covered *that* scandal here.

[edit on 22-8-2006 by loam]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Of course, there’ll be plenty to eat. But there’s a drawback: bread will also be the only thing around. The grain will overrun all other crops. Agriculture will be disrupted. Forests and grasslands will be demolished. Slowly, the entire food chain breaks down, as the face of the planet turns into an endless field of waving grain

I dont see this any time soon but iy is scary.

www.exitmundi.nl...

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Thanks again, Loam, for more environmental news. (I confess--I, too, clicked here for a juicy gossip story
embarrassed)

So, Bayer produces a herbicide, then tries to protect crops from it...Chalk up another point for organically grown food!

I hope this doesn't devastate California's rice export business!! I've been buying Lundberg organic rice for years. Here's something interesting I just read
www.organicconsumers.org...

Citizens can discuss about government controlling lives but entirely miss the control some corporations have!

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I think the Bayer Company is a disgrace. There was something else they do ...i forget but they send contaminated stuff overseas....

Anyone remember that story?

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
There should be a class action suit (even though I know it won't happen). Between Monsanto & now Bayer, messing with our food irresponsibly (meaning they have basically infected our food supply with their GMO crops whether we like it or not), there is now no way to contain it.

How long before nature itself spreads this contamination to where even organic crops are unwittingly infected?

Edit: And by the way (from Loam's source)

European and American attitudes towards genetically modified plants and organisms have differed sharply in the past. While GM foods are consumed widely in the US, polls show European consumers deeply distrustful of products containing GMOs.

I do believe that US consumers are equally mistrustful of GM foods, but in our case we are given no choice. It's there whether people realize it or not and it is not labeled for our choosing.

[edit on 8/23/2006 by Relentless]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   

France finds banned GMO traces in US rice

BRUSSELS, Sept 12, 2006 (AFP) - France and Sweden have discovered traces of a banned genetically modified substance in imported US rice, in tests which must be confirmed by EU laboratories, a European Commission source said Tuesday.

"Two member states, France and Sweden, have found, by their own methods, positive samples of GMO, these remain to be verified by the Commission's testing methods," the official said.

More...

:shk:

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I only use white short rice for my Spanish cooking once in a while, the rest of the time I use organic rice whole grain it looks kind of red after been cooked and is delicious.

Rice is a very a very well know grain of the Spanish countries diet this not very good.

Manufacture and processed foods should bee avoided as much as possible in any diet.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Good find loam.

GMO policies bring a whole new meaning to "Shoved down our throats," don't they?

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
A few weeks ago, when I first heard about this story, I decided to start buying my supplies of rice in the Little Tokyo area of Los Angeles. (Many U.S. port cities have a "Little Tokyo" neighborhood.) The Japanese grocers are very careful about their suppliers of rice. I bought 2 five-pound bags of organic brown rice, since I already have long-term storage containers I bought during the run-up to Y2K.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Here is a link to a Christian Science Monitor update on this story:

www.csmonitor.com...

Notice that the GMO contamination specifically affects long-grain rice. The rice I bought in the Little Toyko neighborhood of downtown Los Angeles was short-grain organic brown rice, which is commonly available at many stores. Japan still has a hold on any imports of American rice, pending further review.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Originally posted by Uphill
...pending further review.

Apparently not.

Tainted rice route remains mystery

Agriculture officials say documents destroyed several years ago might have helped determine how the U.S. supply of long-grain rice became tainted.

After 14 months of investigation, the Agriculture Department said Friday it could not determine how a variety of unapproved genetically engineered rice entered the nation's supply, The Washington Post reported Saturday.

Because the investigation was inconclusive, no action will be taken against Bayer CropScience, whose gene-altered rice entered the supply, the Post reported.

More...

What a surprise...

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Hey loam, do you know if the rice in Thailand is tainted or not?

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:22 AM
link   
you should watch out for asian rice there has to be a report of it being contaminated with lead comming out soon, everything else they send us is....

new topics

join