It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Editing while Posting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I have noticed recently while posting that sometimes (not always) if I go back into a paragraph already written it is typing over instead of inserting my rewording or additions.

I resolve this by hitting return to give me space to type in additional thoughts or clarifications.

I was just wondering what could be causing this to occur some of the time.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
I have noticed recently while posting that sometimes (not always) if I go back into a paragraph already written it is typing over instead of inserting my rewording or additions.

I resolve this by hitting return to give me space to type in additional thoughts or clarifications.

I don't know if I read your problem correctly, but just for information, the Insert key (INS) controls whether text is inserted, or typed over.
Typically, it is set to insert. I've noticed a new rash of keyboard loggers that wreak havoc with scan codes and everything so something like this maybe what is affecting it.

If I mis-read your post, I apologize.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless

Hi Relentless/
yes, this also happens with me, but as you say,not always!
I just hit the 'Enter' on the keyboard and then put in whatever it was i needed, and then, hit the 'arrow' above the 'Enter' key, to go back to finish off what it was I was editing.

And as I was just replying to you, it happened .......
lol, actually, my sister is here and she laughed at me when she saw what it was I was writing.
All she did was to hit the 'INSERT' key ,just above from the 'Delete' key!
And it all worked out!

so, try that!

helen
helen

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Thanks for the input, I realize there are ways around it (enter and insert keys), it just seems to make no sense why sometimes it's in one mode and other times one must compensate.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Yeah I think we have all had this problem once or twice. It is a computer issue rather than one with the ATS board. By clicking the Insert key will resolve the issue? I'll have to store that one upstairs for the next time I am having the problem.

Really makes you grit your teeth doesn't it.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Something you might want to try is un-installing the keyboard, then re-booting.
I had good success with this.

Eventually, though, I just bought a new one. I'll use the old one when I have to do a OS re-install.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
Hi Relentless/
yes, this also happens with me, but as you say,not always!
I just hit the 'Enter' on the keyboard and then put in whatever it was i needed, and then, hit the 'arrow' above the 'Enter' key, to go back to finish off what it was I was editing.

And as I was just replying to you, it happened .......
lol, actually, my sister is here and she laughed at me when she saw what it was I was writing.
All she did was to hit the 'INSERT' key ,just above from the 'Delete' key!
And it all worked out!

so, try that!

helen
helen

you're thinking of the.. BACKSPACE key? ;D that's what it's called.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by motvilje
you're thinking of the.. BACKSPACE key? ;D that's what it's called.

No, actually there is a separate DELETE key. Itis below the INSERT KEY and next to the END key, immediately to the right of and below the BACKSPACE key.

To the author, sometimes the Insert and Overstrike modes get toggled. Overstrike (also known as overwrite) is considered a "minor mode" of the Insert mode in some editors. Who knows why it gets toggled; maybe a simple dirty keyboard. I would spray it for gremlins just to be sure.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Lately I've had problems where I preview a post and then hit edit, the edit doesn't register, I just go back to the original post. If I use the back button and press edit again, then it works. This has happened several times...I'm pretty sure it's not my error but it could be my browser. Has this happened to anyone else?

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Lately I've had problems where I preview a post and then hit edit, the edit doesn't register, I just go back to the original post. If I use the back button and press edit again, then it works. This has happened several times...I'm pretty sure it's not my error but it could be my browser. Has this happened to anyone else?

Happens to me all the time. I've come across so many quirks in the editor that if I post anything of any length, I'll use Notepad or something else. I've lost too many edits to trust it anymore.

new topics

top topics

join