It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Denies UN Inspectors Nuclear Access

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
In a predictable move Tehran has once again denied access to it underground enrichment facility at Natanz. whether this is part of the Iranians multifaceted response to the international incentives package remains to be seen, but certainly serves to heighten tensions already at a peak.

timesofindia.indiatimes.com
VIENNA, AUSTRIA: Iran has turned away International Atomic Energy Agency inspectors from an underground site meant to shelter its uranium enrichment program from attack, diplomats and UN officials said.

Adding to tensions, Iran's supreme leader deflated hopes his country would announce a readiness to freeze enrichment when it formally responds to UN Security Council demands it do so.

Tuesday is the self-imposed Iranian deadline on accepting or refusing such a moratorium. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said that Tehran will continue to pursue the contentious nuclear technology.

Iran's unprecedented refusal to allow access to the facility at Natanz could seriously hamper international attempts to ensure Tehran is not trying to produce nuclear weapons as well as violate a key part of the Nonproliferation Treaty, the diplomats and officials said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Iran has denied the entry visas of two IAEA Inspectors earlier this week in a stiffening defiance of the west and it's request for Iran to give up it's nuclear ambitions.

This move by Iranian leaders is yet another step in the wrong direction and will surely strengthen the resolve of the west to punish Tehran for it's refusal to compromise on the nuclear Issue.

Related News Links:
www.nysun.com
www.washtimes.com

[edit on 22-8-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This should come as no shock. Most people in the world knew Iran would not let inspectors in. I was willing to bet all of my money on that. I was also willing to bet all of my money that Iran would stall again today on August 22 regarding its nuclear ambitions. These Iranian leaders are stalling. Stalling so that they can build something that will enable them to have more power. A nuclear bomb is their goal regardless of whether it is for purposes of destruction or for protection. That is their goal.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There's definatly something fishy about them not letting inspectors in. Until now I would be willing to acknowledge that they might want peaceful power. However it's extremely suspicious that they wouldn't allow inspectors to come in if their intentions are truely innocent.

Could they be attempting to build a bomb? Could the enrichment be a lie, nothing more than a bluff to scare the west? Or could they be working on something even more sinister?

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
They are attempting to build a nuclear bomb. It is the most logical explanation for their behavior. If I were Iran, I would want a nuclear threat for several reasons, most importantly for protection. Other countries tend to show a little more respect to countries having the ability to cause mass destruction. Here lies the problem. Israel and the US will not allow Iran to have this weapon. I don't want Iran or any other country to have nuclear capability, it can only complicate matters further.

That being said, this was a "predictable" move by Iran. It was also "predictable" that they would attempt to stall further on the nuclear decision today. Iran is stating that now they are ready for some "serious" negotiations involving their future nuclear capacity.

Sorry Iran, you've made your decision, sanctions should be put into place immediately. Not tomorrow, today. Sanctions won't work either.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I could care less whether they get the bomb or not. The only purpose is to prevent any attacks from apathetic expansionist regimes. Sanctions, sure why not. We are not trading with them anyways, and they will just stop selling oil to those who abide by the sanctions. They are mostly self sufficient, with a large supply of minerals and ores in their mountanious terrain. Whatever sanctions we put on them, it will not affect them so much in survival the way it does say Cuba or North Korea.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Here is a list of sanctions for Iran for those of you interested in seeing just how they will be effected. I do no think that they will be happy with sanctions, and it will have some effect on them, but not enough to deter them from their nuclear ambitions.

Iran Sanctions - List

and good luck ever flying through Turkey or Iraq again.

[edit on 8/22/2006 by infinite8]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Yea I get the feeling Turkey is not going to be close with Iran anyways seeign as they wish to join the EU and I am sure the West is setting them against Iran for economic benefit into their club.

Iran must be the middle of the world or something, because everything to the West of them wants to see them fall, and mostly everything to the East are allies. Do not forget who holds Veto power on the Security council before you start believing that Iran is doomed for sanctions. Like China has done over and over for NK, they and Russia will probably do the same for Iran.

Like I said, they are self sufficient. I suppose they will lose foreign investment, but not much of the West has stuff there anyways. They will have food, power, and allies, thats all they need.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
A nuclear bomb is their goal regardless of whether it is for purposes of destruction or for protection. That is their goal.

Really? Got a quote to back that up? I am not necessarily arguing your point, but it really makes me laugh for everyone to jump to these conclusions. Everyone has to play by the same rules, or at least I thought so......

Please also point out to me which part of the NPT Iran has violated. I am NOT referring to the pressure the US govt has put on the UN or on the IAEA to further their political agenda, but the actual NPT (which by the way, the US has pulled out of). Why do all the countries in the world that have signed on to the NPT follow a different set of rules than Iran?

Iran has complied with everything required in the NPT. The UN team that was kicked out was not there as a NPT requirement, rather they were there due to pressure being applied by the US. Iran has no reason to let them in. The IAEA has never once stated that Iran was seeking to build a bomb. I am not saying they aren't (I have my personal feelings on this topic) but there is not one shred of evidence other than an extremely biased feeling from the US, and sabre rattling from Iran. Other than that, squat. Can you please provide ANY links that supports your claim, or are you another victim of media bias???

new topics

top topics

join