It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorists or resistance fighters?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
One mans Terrorists are another mans Freedom Fighters. We all know that.

What are the arguements for or against them being labled "terrorists"? My point of view is as follows:

Israel's occupation of the Shebaa Farms along with the presence of Lebanese prisoners in Israeli jails is justification for the organization's continued hostilities against Israel after Israel's withdrawl from Lebanon in 2000.

Also, the military occupation of their fellow people in the West Bank and Gaza Strip could moraly be used as justification for the organization's continued hostilities against Israel given that Israel is a "Super Power" in the region and that the Palestinians have little/no chance of putting up a real fight to end their opperssion and getting all thier land back.

One argument against labeling Hezbollah a "terrorist" organization is their wider mission and spectrum of activities as a religious, political, and social group. Hezbollah is currently one of the two main organizations representing the Shia community, Lebanon's largest religious bloc, but the only militant one. It is also a recognised political party in Lebanon, currently taking just over 10% of the seats (14 out of 128) in the Parliament of Lebanon. The bloc it forms with others, the Resistance and Development Bloc, 27.3% . Hezbollah also organises an extensive social development programme which runs hospitals, news services, and educational facilities. Its Reconstruction Campaign is responsible for numerous economic and infrastructure development projects in Lebanon.
en.wikipedia.org...

On the Issue of Rockets:

The indiscriminate use of rockets on Israeli residential areas could classifies as terrorism. However, I have to say that this use of rocket fire during this war was merely a deterrent to the Israeli destruction of Lebanon's infrastructure and civilan population. The number of Lebanese killed is completely disportunate.

Given that Israel has committed massacres, such as in Qana and the continued oppression in the west bank and gaza strip, are the Israelis any better?

None of this is going to end in the Middle East until Israel stops its oppression. As long as there is oppression there will be need for Hamas and Hizballah. No justice, no peace.

www.youtube.com... (this short video sums up my point of view, its by Mr. Galloway on Sky News)

(please, stay civil and on topic)

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   

The indiscriminate use of rockets on Israeli residential areas could classifies as terrorism. However, I have to say that this use of rocket fire during this war was merely a deterrent to the Israeli destruction of Lebanon's infrastructure and civilan population. The number of Lebanese killed is completely disportunate

Nope I will have to disagree with you on this point, Would be just the same as the IRA during the 80's Firing Mortar bombs at Heathrow Airport, was that justified? No it was not. Although I agree that the killing of Innocent Civillians is disgusting. Both sides are to blame for the killing of innocent civillians on both sides.

Given that Israel has committed massacres, such as in Qana and the continued oppression in the west bank and gaza strip, are the Israelis any better

It is not just the Israelies to blame for this, if the Lebanease Gov had done something in the first place with the help of the UN in getting rid of Hezbullah in the first place, then there would not have been a problem. But easier said than done supposes. Both sides are just as guilty as each other.

None of this is going to end in the Middle East until Israel stops its oppression. As long as there is oppression there will be need for Hamas and Hizballah. No justice, no peace.

Only way there is going to be peace in the Middle east, is if Certain Countries get their own way and Wipe Israel of the Map or Israel takes action itself (with the Backing off the US).

I will agree with you though, that there will never be peace or justice in the Middle East. Well not in my lifetime there wont be.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
For me, Hezbollah are freedom fighters, and Israel's force is terrorism.

I don't see it any other way, if you look at the facts, and you look at why Hezbollah are fighting, and how Israel treats it's neighboring countries, there really is no other opinion.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   

For me, Hezbollah are freedom fighters, and Israel's force is terrorism.

I will have to disagree with you, I see them the same as the IRA or the UDA, Terrorists not freedom fighters.

I don't see it any other way, if you look at the facts, and you look at why Hezbollah are fighting, and how Israel treats it's neighboring countries, there really is no other opinion.

Your are entitled to your opinion as am I, Hezbollah are fighting because of their ties to Iran and Syria that is the way I look at it. But I will say it again as I have previously posted.

Both sides are to blame. None of them on both sides are innocent. They are both guilty of terrorism. But that my opinion.

[edit on 21-8-2006 by spencerjohnstone]

[edit on 21-8-2006 by spencerjohnstone]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
They are indeed both guilty of terrorism. But no-one isn't in war. What you have to look at are the reasons behind the sides. Hezbollah is a resistance group and it's funding from Iran and Syria does not alter it's founding purpose.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone

The indiscriminate use of rockets on Israeli residential areas could classifies as terrorism. However, I have to say that this use of rocket fire during this war was merely a deterrent to the Israeli destruction of Lebanon's infrastructure and civilan population. The number of Lebanese killed is completely disportunate

Nope I will have to disagree with you on this point, Would be just the same as the IRA during the 80's Firing Mortar bombs at Heathrow Airport, was that justified? No it was not. Although I agree that the killing of Innocent Civillians is disgusting. Both sides are to blame for the killing of innocent civillians on both sides.

Well this has nothing to do with the IRA seeing how England wasnt bombing the crap out of their land.(atleast not that I know of)

Israel made the decision to attack Lebanon, they killed 40 people in the first round of bombings in residential areas and destroyed civilian infrastructure before Hizballah started firing rockets in numbers. How is firing rockets not a deterrent to the greatly disportunate Israeli destruction of Lebanon's infrastructure and civilan population?

Anyone who consider the rockets a terrorist act would have to label Israel a terrorist state. imho

[edit on 21-8-2006 by Mujahid187]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mujahid187
Israel made the decision to attack Lebanon, they killed 40 people in the first round of bombings in residential areas and destroyed civilian infrastructure before Hizballah started firing rockets in numbers. How is firing rockets not a deterrent to the greatly disportunate Israeli destruction of Lebanon's infrastructure and civilan population?

Anyone who consider the rockets a terrorist act would have to label Israel a terrorist state. imho

Exactly.

I also look at the coniditions that Israel put their "occupied" terroritories in. There's a great video somewhere which demonstrates how their neighbors are treated... although it's to demonstrate Israel-Palestine issues, I could imagine this is true for Lebanon too.

video.google.com...

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
I will have to disagree with you, I see them the same as the IRA or the UDA, Terrorists not freedom fighters.

Wow. I guess when we nuked hiroshima and nagisoke (sp?), we were the freedom fighters and they were terrorists still too weren't they? I think you have a twisted view on the world... even though it is the majority in opinion.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 03:06 AM
link   
If it weren't for the fact that Lebanon has a militaristic , expansion minded state next door you could probably say they were a terrorist organization. However, since they are able to do what the newly refurbished government of lebanon has not been able to do, which is repel any agressions made by Israel, they are considered resistance. The reason why Israel and US works very hard to label this group as terrorist is solely for the fact that they can repel Israel and its detrimental to how Israel operates that they can weaken any opposition to their advances monetarily, militarilly and politically. Israel is not used to fighting trained organized warriors who are just as determined to protect their interests as Israel is. The Palestinians are easy prey as they are an occupied , oppressed state that Israel has full control over.

Many of the IDF and IAF whining after returning from the homefront complained that they are so used to being used as policemen in regards to Palestinian issues, that they are unused to combat under such conditions.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Well this has nothing to do with the IRA seeing how England wasnt bombing the crap out of their land.(atleast not that I know of)

They may not have been bombing the crap out of their land but the British not the ENGLISH forces were Killing Irish Catholics who were against Northern Ireland Going British. That is why the IRA was set up on the first place.

Hezbollah is a resistance group

Hezzbollah are as much as terroist group as the So called Israely Groups that go around bombing or killing others. None of them are resistance groups.

[edit on 23-8-2006 by spencerjohnstone]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Freedom Fighters don't cut the heads off of innocent civilians.
Freedom Fighters don't kidnap and torture female civilians.
Freedom Fighters don't bomb airliners.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hereandnow

America has bombed peoples homes in sovereign natations we have not even declared war on in the name of fighting terrorism.

America has massacared civilians in the name of "freedom & democracy"

But America has not bombed any airliners as far as I know

So "one mans Terrorists are another mans Freedom Fighters. We all know that."

Try to have a larger point of view.

[edit on 23-8-2006 by Mujahid187]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Its one system that does not fit to another, who has the biggest problem of not wanting to fit in to the modern world?

www.religioustolerance.org...

You will see the same conflicts here as you would have seen 2000 years ago onwards.

Is it about freedom? I don't see much freedom in Islam and Communism i think its about control and i don't see a self made Democratic Islamic party forming as have Christian Democracy as it accepts all faiths and peoples but has laws so we live together in harmony. So its the dictatorships, one way street religion and systems that spawn terrorists, what freedom fighters? You mean imposers of their over strict laws that make them crazy to become terrorist in the first place maybe?

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   

But America has not bombed any airliners as far as I know

So "one mans Terrorists are another mans Freedom Fighters. We all know that."

Try to have a larger point of view.

Well, if you're like me, and see Operation Northwoods, as well as thinking that 9/11 was an inside job, we have plotted to blow up airliners, and we have destroyed them.

A larger point of view on "one mans Terrorists are another mans Freedom Fighters. We all know that.?" How do you get larger? It's true. I think that Hezbollah are freedom fighters. Some of you think they are terrorists. What he said is exactly true, I don't get why your questioning his statement.

[edit on 23-8-2006 by alpha_omega]

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   
alpha_omega, Im not sure what you are getting at. I was refering to:

Originally posted by hereandnow

I was implying that the US could be considered terrorists and not "freedom fighters" by hereandnow's own words. Thus supporting my statemtnt of "One mans Terrorists are another mans Freedom Fighters. We all know that. "

[edit on 24-8-2006 by Mujahid187]

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I was implying that the US could be considered terrorists and not "freedom fighters" by hereandnow's own words. Thus supporting my statemtnt of "One mans Terrorists are another mans Freedom Fighters. We all know that. "

[edit on 24-8-2006 by Mujahid187]

My bad man. I misinterpreted your intentions.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
My opinion of terrorist VS freedom fighter

An act of terrorisem is some one who comits a crime in order to change or influence public opinion.

To define a freedom fighter you must first define what freedom is. In recent times I have rarely felt the acts of violence hapening could be defined as freedom fighters.

top topics

join