It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venus Express Delivers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I'm just going to let the images speak for themselves. The ESA has done an amazing job with the Venus Express mission, and it's a shame that it has not gotten as much press as it deserves.

Taken on approach with Venus, this False Color movie was taken from the ultraviolet spectrum, built from seperate images (See link below for better quality)

Taken at three different infared spectrums corresponding to different atmospheric heights (59, 60, and 65 KM Left to Right). This series of images focuses on the double Vortex found a the south pole (with a twin at the north) which forms due to planetary rotation and heat differential of Day/Night

Infared Imaging of Venus' night sky.

Infared imaging of Venus' Southern hemisphere, clearly showing the super vortex and difference between day and nighttime temps.

Composite of Ultraviolet (left) and Infared images of the southern hemisphere.

Another cloud-tracking in Infared.

The two images were taken at 2.3 μm (left) and 1.7 μm (right) and show a fine atmospheric structure below the Venusian cloud deck, at about 35 and 20 kilometres altitude, respectively.

Stripe-like features are visible at the bottom of the images. They could be indicative of a wave-like atmospheric motion (possibly due to tidal forces), but their nature is still unexplained.

All information taken from ESA's Venus Express webpage, where you can find much more info, images, and
MOVIES!!!1

[edit on 21-8-2006 by TheGoodDoctorFunk]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
That is amazing. Even more so because i was not aware that it was going on. I had never heard of a Venus probe. Venus has many secrets to offer up, and we really do not know much about it.

The photos of the Venusian night sky are awesome.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Great pictures, especially of the launcher in the latter pages.
sci.esa.int...

Thanks for posting!

[edit on 21/8/06 by SteveR]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
great find doctor find great pictures and also i too didnt know another venus probe had been sent up recently but once again great pictures of venus keep the great finds up

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
sci.esa.int...

Haha, I hadn't noticed that picture, it's great! The image on the side of the launcher looks like a billboard for some bad b-rate movie

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
WOW, thank you for posting this, i wasn't aware that there was a mission to the planet.

Those pictures are amazing, i cant wait for them to release more.

Thanks for posting this.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
wow thats awesome, i've always imagined venus' surface to look like doomsday or something
i cant wait to get some good quality surface pics

yay first post, i love space so much

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Those are amazing pictures. I can't wait until they find a way to land something on Venus. The russians did it once, but their probe eventually melted into the ground
a shame really.

top topics

join