It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ruining Someone's Career via the internet... an ATS issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Hello,

I'll cut to the chase: When I got out of college I worked as a substitute teacher for a few months... This was before I started working in the library system. While working as a sub I met another teacher who was accused, by a student, of being a pedophile... This student made thier accusation on a post they sent to a small website owned by another student. In it, they never mentioned this guy by his name... only by his nickname. Well, within about two days of this posting, parents were calling the school board and demanding his resignation.

My point is this: It's not cool or 'ok' if someone makes an accusation about someone else -- an accusation that can harm their employment -- if it is on a website and involves nicknames. It is simply NOT OK. This is especially so if those nicknames can be tracked back to a specific person. So, when I see a website claiming that they have no control over whether or not members decide to use its domain as a venue to kill someone else's career... I start to worry.

Recently a former member who is employed in an academic field was accused of plagiarism by a current member. A plagiarism accusation, in the academic world, often equals the end of a career. The current member, in this case, was 'warned' (did he lose u2u access for a day or two?) because of his actions. Now, I want all of you to think about your job and the people who rely on you... and ask yourself if your job is being protected by the current policies of ATS.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 02:07 AM
link   
PS: I forgot to say that this teacher was not guilty and that this was just a nasty prank by a 13 year old who wanted to get attention... Still, the entire situation involved fake names (that everyone knew, anyway)... and an injury to this teacher's career.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Now, I want all of you to think about your job and the people who rely on you... and ask yourself if your job is being protected by the current policies of ATS.

They can be traced to a single person and there is no stated confidentiality over our information?

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Being marked a pedophile is the contemporary form of witch hunting that children can do to adults. Not much anybody can do other than hope that they aren't marked as one by an angry child seeking some kind of petty revenge. If you're a teacher, you'd best have a spouse present if you don't want any false accusations to hamper your career. Sad but true.

[Edited on 2-11-2003 by heelstone]

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 02:51 AM
link   
And equally as damaging.....Being labeled a racist, seems all you have to do to get this these days is to think for your self and not follow the P.C. crowd. If you dissagree with them and state it......watch out

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 01:11 AM
link   
...oh my...I think I'm experiencing de ja vu...

...and oh hell no are we going down this road again...

*thread locked*

top topics

join