It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China has downloaded 10 to 20 Terabytes of data from our Military.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
What's that?
A year's worth of Microsoft patches?

I love these stories.

Everyone's like, hey look at the evildoers over there!!! OMG they're out to get us! Let's bomb them!

Hey

It's not like the US doesn't spy on other countries or hack into their systems.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
They can download all the information they want.... the hard part is decrypting it all.

You can get 10 to 20 terabytes of:

4kl234kljql34i-0qu9gikqj234lkjqae0d9fgqa239-roqjkr-9qefjaklj23lkrjaf9ua3=rjaoifjq=-2a3rfakldfj

And not be able to decrypt it into a readable form. The government encrypts their data.

[edit on 22-8-2006 by LAES YVAN]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
10 terrabytes is a lot disk space, but we don't know what they actually downloaded. If it all came from the same place, they could've just copied the hard disks of a bunch of a computers in some bureacracy somewhere. Not everything the military does is that interesting, although I suppose if you got enough data, you could put together to figure something out.

Since the US isn't likely to go to war with China all that soon, I don't think there is great value in tactical intelligence. More likely, China is most interested in military and industrial technology. A lot of the basic technological information is available from open sources, and much of America's industrial manufacturing is performed in China. Since most US science PHDs are Chinese, it shouldn't be too hard to get people familar with the technology.

The only reason you would need to steal the exact designs is if your people aren't creative enough to come up with their own designs. Is Chinese engineering really that much inferior to the US?

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
In my honest opinion China's economy will never out grow America's economy. America has more influence around the world, witch is the deciding factor. Things are more cheap in China than America. No wonder, most of the investors are investing there money in China, there's a bigger profit margin. It is the reason why their economy is growing so fast. Their economy will slow down when they catch up with the rest of the superpowers. By then, investors will invest in other countries. There has to be a middle balance. In the very end, which will never happen in my lifetime, there will be no one superpower.

The last superpower is America. No country will surpast it. They could only catch up.

Economics works just like real estate. By the way anyone want to purchase a home? lol

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Tayser,

just look at few basic macroeconomic numbers from china and you will see who is the next power...

just a little history china what exploiting the silk road with europe in??? 500 BC...how about that

also Zheng He is likely to have discovered america with the largest wooden ship ever made 100 years before columbus...

and so on...

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
China s a bunch of pirates. they must have one hell of a warez site

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by dstarsfan879905: China and Russia are countries that US rather do not antagonized to much.

No sir i'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. Russia is still on the decline since the fall of the USSR. they've reduced their military budget to 19 billion a year. Ours is near 500 billion. Their nuclear technology is out dated. Their missile systems and radar systems are very near the end of their life span because they simply aren't keeping up with developing stealth technology and missile technology by other countries. Russian military experts, ACTUAL RUSSIANS, said that in the next 10 years, if Russia doesn't drastically upgrade their military, the United States would be able to COMPLETELY wipe out Russia and there'd be very little Russia could do to even resist an invasion or massive air attack.

Man you are either blind or playing it stupid . You have to do a little reaserch before saying bs !!! And if you want to take it furthere i will be glad to prove it

[edit on 23-8-2006 by Russian Boy]

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
well thats a little dusturbing, have came to some cunclusions.

1.military does not care about its information.

2.military is to stupid to install somekind of password protection.

3.this was inside job and someone just made alot of money. (you never know)

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by worksoftplayhard

I agree with the exception of, do you really think the US would put their military technology and plans openly online like that? I don't think so. I don't think any country would. Especially when they know this is happening. So yeah, China and other countries download this stuff, but what is the stuff. That is the question.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The wolf is crying wolf?

It wouldn't be hard to imagine how much data america has on china

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by worksoftplayhard

The military does care about it's information, but, some of this information has to be shared with people outside the military. What the General is saying is that people who have access to this information need to be more careful with their access information.

Military networks are password protected, but that doesn't do you any good when people use things like birth dates, kid's names and SSNs as passwords.

Many pieces of information that you wouldn't think of as being important, actually can tell an experienced intel person quite a bit. Even information posted here on ATS can give away a lot.

A few days ago somebody posted information about some containers that were passing through the freight company where he worked. Those containers were going to an Army Arsenal. He posted the point of origin, the destination, markings that were on the containers and a description of the containers.

A few months ago there was a post about rocket containers being on a parked unsecured railcar. Again, the location was given as well as the labeling of the containers.

Last year there was an entire thread dedicated to the idea of reporting the movement of military vehicles and equipment.

These may sound trivial until you remember that the first hint of the Soviets basing missiles in Cuba in the early 1960's was pictures of crates on the decks of Soviet cargo ships heading to Cuba. These pictures were taken by Navy patrol planes and showed crates of a design specific to a certain type of truck, that was used to support the missiles. This lead to recon flights over Cuba that confirmed the missiles and to the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962.

Encrypting information has been mentioned in this thread. Encrypting is great unless China has their own version of John Walker. Walker sold the Soviets the operating manuals, code keys and technical information on the US Navy's primary encrypting equipment. He comprimised the Navy's secure communications for over a decade.

Much of the information in this article was undoubtably unclassified or confidential information, but still in the right hands and interpreted correctly this information could make a difference someday.

As for these morons who think it's cool to hack into secure networks I think the punishment needs to be raised. For breaking into the secure network I think Life in Prison works and if they post what they find on the internet or give it to a foreign country, the death penalty sounds right.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dstarsfan879905
No sir i'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. Russia is still on the decline since the fall of the USSR.

The 'fall' was very much a staged event ( just ask the Russians) and they retained more than enough nuclear and defensive firepower to still likely win a nuclear exchange or a conventional war.

they've reduced their military budget to 19 billion a year. Ours is near 500 billion.

Very nearly meaningless as the CIA never really knew what the USSR spent on what and what type of resource/labour costs was really involved. They still do not know...

Their nuclear technology is out dated. Their missile systems and radar systems are very near the end of their life span because they simply aren't keeping up with developing stealth technology and missile technology by other countries.

Their nuclear firepower are more than enough to destroy America without likely suffering the same fate due to their extensive ABM deployments all over Russia. Their radar EW systems are still as functional as they need to be to serve as warning of a massive nuclear attack ( their point defenses can likely take care of sneak/ attacks by solitary Ohio's) and they still have enough satellite coverage to see launches from American ICBM's round the clock. They never had a problem with American stealth aircraft as those were simple not numerous enough or stealthy enough to affect the outcome of the global nuclear war the Russians envisioned fighting.

Russian military experts, ACTUAL RUSSIANS, said that in the next 10 years, if Russia doesn't drastically upgrade their military, the United States would be able to COMPLETELY wipe out Russia and there'd be very little Russia could do to even resist an invasion or massive air attack.

When your so much stronger in strategic weaponry than your enemy you can pretend to be weak and insignificant and let your enemy look like 'evil' nation. Which country do people around the world fear most?

As for China..we all agree their an EMERGING super power. Their not a super power yet.

Yet their allied with Russia which makes their war fighting capacity nearly irrelevant. If the war comes they will serve as the manufacturing and manpower basin for the destruction of America.

As of right now, we're still capable of defeating China. Yeah it'd be a lot harder than it was to defeat the Iraqi military but we still could.

If China stood alone that may have been the case.

People fail to realize that, yeah of course, China's military is growing and improving..but so is ours. Are we just going to stop technological development to let them catch up? No..we're not. Keep that in mind.

If America wanted to win but clearly the American government is not interested in winning wars as is clearly proven by the fiasco that is Iraq, Vietnam, Korea.

You claim to say WE wouldnt dare attack THEM..but do you think they would dare attack us? Of course they'd like to..but do you think they wouldn't be afraid of what was in store with our response to an attack? I hope you don't believe that.

China would not like to attack the USA and what they will do is simple assimilate as has been their habit for milenia now. Fighting is the worse solution and only to be considered when there are no alternatives.

How are they ignoring it? The Pentagon has commented time and time again that their concerned with China's growth. They may WANT to supplant us but CAN they?

They already have imo.

Like I just said..their technology isn't the only one developing every day. Ours is too.

Agreed but they are skipping so many of the mistakes and implementing so much of the protectionist measures that builds a country. America is a downward spiral ( consuming itself in a reckless effort to gain back some control ) while China is growing massively year on year.

Imagine how much secret technology we have. Where exactly is all of that 500 billion dollars going if we're having a hard time in Iraq? I think if anybody is being underestimated here it's our military capability. Not China's.

I believe that the USA has far more than they admit to but so does the USSR and many other nations. That 500 billion is mostly going into corporate pockets, sadly, while Gi's lose limbs and their lives due to no or inferior body armor and armored IFV's. If you do get seriously wounded tell the doctor not to cut up the armored vest as they will make you pay for it as well as however many days you can not 'work'.

Yeah ok whatever dude. Learn who you're dealing with before it's too late..

It's not the worse advice in the world.
If you know English ( it will still be the language of commerce and power ) you can learn Chinese as that will become the language of manufacturing and technology.

Thank you! finally somebody agrees with me. I say the slightest movement by China to destroy us or our government we nuke them. Their a nuclear threat. Their communists. Destroy them before they get too close.

Nuking China will only result in a largely devastated America so it's probably not the solution to the rise of China. Force your American leaders to start resisting globalization and to implement whatever trade barriers it takes to protect American industry and jobs while closing it's borders to spetznaz forces from Canada and labour theft from Mexico. Do that and American might have a chance to regain some small part of it's former glory without inviting disaster faster than it will inevitably come with the current program.

Good luck!

Stellar

[edit on 30-8-2006 by StellarX]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
The wolf is crying wolf?

It wouldn't be hard to imagine how much data america has on china

Wolf crying wolf???

Yeah right, there's no proof that america steals data from china, it's pure speculation or imagination. And China is very well known for stealing stuff.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Aha! Even more of chinese snooping.

US panel warns of Chinese espionage

WASHINGTON – China has stepped up computer espionage attacks on the U.S. government, defense contractors and American businesses, a congressional advisory panel said Thursday.

In the commission's report, Chinese military strategist Wang Huacheng is quoted as calling U.S. dependence on space assets and information technology its "soft ribs."

China's space program is "steadily increasing the vulnerability of U.S. assets," the report said. For instance, improvements in satellite imagery allow China to locate U.S. carrier battle groups more accurately, faster and from farther away.

Stealing, snooping and cheating!

The commission also criticized China for violating commitments to avoid trade-distorting measures, adopting new laws that may restrict foreign access to China's markets and keeping its currency undervalued to get an export advantage.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join