It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful Magnitude 7.2 Earthquake Hits Near South Pole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Powerful Magnitude 7.2 Earthquake Hits Near South Pole

A powerful earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.2 hit near the South Pole, Japan's weather agency said Sunday.

The temblor hit at around 0341 GMT, Japan's Meteorological Agency reported. The agency did not indicate the quake's depth.

More...

I think this is the same one related to Ptolomeo's thread: 7.1 Earthquake could generate Tsunami

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I think this is the same one related to Ptolomeo's thread: 7.1 Earthquake could generate Tsunami

Yeah, and I think the same one I posted in the main quake thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If it is another one, then there's really something major going on down there I think!

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I remember a show that theorized if the Antarctic ice plate shifted so many feet, it would change global weather.
I hope that this does not occur due to these earthquakes.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Could melting of the ice sheets be reducing the friction needed to hold back the movements of plates down there? In other words, the plate movement has to overcome the dead load of the weight of the plate and anything sitting atop of it, so if the ice melts over the years and parts break away, then there would be less resistance to a fault slipping, thus causing a quake. Is this just pent up energy that is being released only because of melting ice now revealing it, and if the antarctic region melts off quicker, then will this trigger even more domino effect quakes of other plates?

top topics

join