It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question about particles and other dimensions...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 05:14 AM
link   
It has already been astablished that there are other dimensions because:

It has been found that atoms and electrons pop in and out of existence... suggesting that
they go somewhere else but no one knows where or what happens when they go out of being verified by our view.

So my question is...

how does this suggest another dimension? or does it?

why cant a particle just disappear and then reapper with out it not even going to another dimension?

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by krossfyter
It has already been astablished that there are other dimensions because:

It has been found that atoms and electrons pop in and out of existence... suggesting that
they go somewhere else but no one knows where or what happens when they go out of being verified by our view.

So my question is...

how does this suggest another dimension? or does it?

why cant a particle just disappear and then reapper with out it not even going to another dimension?

Hopefully someone more knowledgable about quantum mechanics can help us with this. My understanding though is that at that quantum level, we simply cannot ascertain where particular particles are with any absolute precision, going back to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. We can calculate a probability wave, and take a guess at where a certain particle is, but we cannot be absolutely sure. So, we talk about particles popping in and out of existence, or being in two places at once, because we cannot really know otherwise what their position is absolutely.

This raises the question of whether it is our limitation of knowledge that presents us with this problem, or whether there is something intrinsic to the reality of the quanta themselves that makes them seem to pop in and out. I think many quantum physicists argue that indeed the particles are irreducibly unpredictable, no matter how good are calculations might get in the future.

I do think some theorists posit the existence of other dimensions to account for this unpredictabilty in the behavior of quanta, but I don't think it's a settled debate.

[edit on 8/20/2006 by Toromos]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
well, this can suggest another dimension and it cant at the same time. From what I have been told by teachers and misc. other people is that everything is made from energy. You might say everything is made of atoms and quarks. But those themselves are made of energy. You can see that Energy has 100's of different forms : Electricity, Light, Thermal(hot and cold). And if you go by what i think, everything in itself is just energy, so we are just another form of energy.

That can help explain why they may pop in and out, because they just change into another form of energy.

But then again, there can be Other Dimensions. If you want help with explainations on how they may pop in and out, it would help to understand the dimensions themselves. For this, you can go to tenthdimension.com... and that will help explain it a bit better for you.

Hope I helped, if not, reply back with comments, lol... I think i almost confused myself putting that down. I should get it all together before i start putting it down. lol

Rekar

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
thnx to the both of you for your responses. this does help me out understand whats going on when they say it "pops in and out".

this could be due to my limited understanding of physics... but when the particle goes out of existence (not there with our limited technological eye) how does a solid remain a solid if its particles are not there at this time?

please forgive me if this is a stupid question. i realize it might be.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by krossfyter
thnx to the both of you for your responses. this does help me out understand whats going on when they say it "pops in and out".

this could be due to my limited understanding of physics... but when the particle goes out of existence (not there with our limited technological eye) how does a solid remain a solid if its particles are not there at this time?

please forgive me if this is a stupid question. i realize it might be.

Well...from what I understand about "matter", as we term it, is 99.999999% empty space all of the time. So I seriously doubt that a molecule or atom "popping out of existence" for an infinitesimal small amount of time would make that much of a difference.

[edit on 21-8-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

new topics

top topics

join